Does Toriyama dislike drawing Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Yes, I am happy aswell he didn't end with Freeza. Now I've heard he wanted to end it with the Red Ribbon Army Saga, however if he did DragonBall would be nothing like it is, it wouldn't have such a fan base, there wouldn't be all these games & it certainly wouldn't be like it is in America. Plus I think the Cell Era was really good, I liked ascending past SSJ. The Buu era wasn't one of the best Saga's, it was good don't get me wrong but in comparison to the others, meh. I think he really knew the Cell era was the limit, he stretched it a bit with Buu.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:06 pm

I think no one will say 'I'm pissed he didn't end it at the Freeza saga'. Every one has different opinions, different favourite characters, so the best saga would be different for each person, although a lot of people prefer the older episodes, which I don't blame them for doing, they are great, but the newer half of the series, like, from when Mirai Trunks was introduced is quite compelling, and lots of stuff happens, with Dr. Gero, the Androids, etc. Some may get a bit confused with the Trunks time travelling and everything, but once you get it all it's all good.

I too agree the Cell saga is one of the best, SSJ2 is wicked, and so is Vegeta hating on Goku, then Gohan. The storyline is good, the way it starts developing, and how it ends.

I think Toriyama only decided to bring back Freeza when he was persuaded to carry on with Z (by Toei) because Trunks destroying him that easily gives the viewer a good idea on how powerful the Cyborgs are, the fact that Trunks destroyed this tyrant who's reputation was well known, only to inform the group that compared to the Cyborgs his power is nothing. It all works very well. And the anticipation of waiting to see these beings, and when they appear and we are quite shocked with what is done to Yamcha, we later find out it's not even them, they were just the tasters to warm up the story.

Anyway, enough telling you lot what you already know.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:16 pm

And the anticipation of waiting to see these beings, and when they appear and we are quite shocked with what is done to Yamcha, we later find out it's not even them, they were just the tasters to warm up the story.
Being the hearltess bastard that I am, I laughed my head off after Gero gave Yamcha a new, over-sized bellybutton. :lol: #19 and Gero confused me, I didn't even know they or #16 existed, I thought that Goku and the others were heading out to fight #17 and #18. :)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.