Does Toriyama dislike drawing Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does Toriyama dislike drawing Dragon Ball?

Post by Bejiita » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Akira Toriyama said something in an interview related to drawing the new Kanzenban covers, that

''to draw Dragonball in a long time produced a very complicated mix of emotions, combining nostalgia with the feeling that he dind't want to draw Dragon Ball anymore.''

Maybe he doesn't like drawing Dragon Ball anymore.

I think he had a bad experience with Dragon Ball. He must have been under extreme high pressure making those new episodes every week, I couldn't even keep up my manga, I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had to make a new chapter every week. I would end up dreading ever going back there once I finished. Instead of ending it where he wanted to and ending on good terms, he probably bid good riddance to it.

He ended up being peer pressured by some anime producer or assistant or someone to keep it going on. Don't get me wrong the Buu saga is as good for me as them all in it's own way. I am not at all dissapointed that Toriyama carried it on rather than ending it at the Freeza or Cell stories.

But doing that kind of work every week would make you sick of it eventually, and it's not very nice not enjoying your own work. I'm not saying he did, but if he doesn't like the emotions he experiences while drawing Dragonball, maybe he remembers staying up 'till daylight and losing sleep drawing the same characters over and over again, eventually develop some type of hatred with Goku's face similar to Sideshow Bob's for Bart, and with Cell's body spots, well, he admits he made a mistake there. Dug he's own grave really. :lol:

He was probably thinking of the next story lines in he's sleep, it would drive you nuts, probably having dreams about flying on Kintoun over the land.

He said he was losing time with he's family, and it's one of the resons he stopped drawing Dragon Ball, to spend more time with the wife and kids, he is a family guy. I think when the anime finally ended he was so relieved, he could finally put he's feet up, do more things he couldn't really do before because of time being used up. And this is probably why he doesn't really feel like drawing it anymore.

This is another reason why we most definately will not see the story continue by him, and I don't blame him, who wants more?

I'd much rather they re-released those whole manga in colour.

Also, sorry to make 2 threads, you know I rarely ever do. I don't think this subject has been disscussed before has it?
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:59 pm

It's not so much that he hates it. He was rusty first of all. He hadn't regularly drawn DB in at least ten years. And having to have such a punishing schedule, and being pressured into continuing when you don't completely want to would upset you too. I'm suprised he didn't burn out sooner. He doesn't hate DB, I've heard him talk about it with lots of affection in many other interviews.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:25 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:It's not so much that he hates it. He was rusty first of all. He hadn't regularly drawn DB in at least ten years. And having to have such a punishing schedule, and being pressured into continuing when you don't completely want to would upset you too. I'm suprised he didn't burn out sooner. He doesn't hate DB, I've heard him talk about it with lots of affection in many other interviews.
Yes, agree with you here, partly, even though I didn't actually say he hates drawing Dragonball it may have come across as if that was what I was saying, I don't at all think he hates drawing dragonball.

Partly, because I don't think you were right in saying it was because he was too rusty after not drawing it in 10 years. That's all the more reason to draw it again. An artist can only improve in 10 years. If anything he didn't even say he didn't want to re-draw the covers, he said he just had mixed emotions when drawing Dragonball, and from an artists point of view, I think he meant it in a way as in 'I'm not going back there again'. If it was because he was scared of being rusty the covers wouldn't have ended up looking as good as they do.

A question asked was if the Kanzentai had any redrawn chapters...he said he'd start getting nit picky if he were to redraw certain manga chapters, and he'd end re-drawing the whole thing'.

What does this say?

He is worried himself about falling back into something he has to commit himself to for another good couple of years or more. Does this mean he has a weakness of will power?

I think so, sadly, even I do at times, the will to put your foot down and say things are going my way, and he was clearly taking everyone's advice seriously, like how he'd only make another transformation for a character if he's producer disliked it. He even was tempted to go back to he's old rounded type of drawing the characters after one fan letter said he preffered it the old way. Just one letter?

Ok, I'm going on a bit now...
My DB Fan manga:
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:00 pm

Well with a job such as one in entertainment one does have to take those things seriously. Do I think he should change everything he's done for one person? No. But again that's entirely up to him.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:33 am

I would be scared of getting reeled into losing another 11 years of my life too, if I were him.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:29 am

Duo wrote:I would be scared of getting reeled into losing another 11 years of my life too, if I were him.
I doubt it'd take him another 11 years to re-draw dragonball. Considering he already has it all drawn out already, it's minus the thinking time and more copying really. It would take ages though, I know I wouldn't do it.
My DB Fan manga:

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 pm

Hmm.

He may not want to "draw" Dragonball in the sense that he doesn't want to delve into any more ongoing stories, but I'd have a difficult time believing that Mr. Toriyama had grown to dislike his creation in any way other than in the way it became all-consuming or that he didn't get to do exactly with it what he may have wanted to; I'd like to think that he can enjoy looking back on it now that the manga/anime has been over and done with for this many years, and that he's more-or-less satisfied. If he didn't have at least something of a positive vibe toward the series, I don't think he would have ever bothered with Neko Majin Z.

We probably won't see him do any "new" material with regards to the actual story, but I wouldn't be surprised if in some years we saw him get involved again in some small way.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:16 pm

I don't think Toriyama 'hates' drawing DBZ, he's probably just gotten tired of it. I'd be tired of drawing Goku as well if I had to draw him for eleven years. Luckily for me, I've only drawn him for seven! :D
He may not want to "draw" Dragonball in the sense that he doesn't want to delve into any more ongoing stories, but I'd have a difficult time believing that Mr. Toriyama had grown to dislike his creation in any way other than in the way it became all-consuming or that he didn't get to do exactly with it what he may have wanted to; I'd like to think that he can enjoy looking back on it now that the manga/anime has been over and done with for this many years, and that he's more-or-less satisfied. If he didn't have at least something of a positive vibe toward the series, I don't think he would have ever bothered with Neko Majin Z.

We probably won't see him do any "new" material with regards to the actual story, but I wouldn't be surprised if in some years we saw him get involved again in some small way.
If Dragonball continues to remain poular (which I'm sure it'll still be popular in 50 years in Japan) Toriyama-sensei will still play a part in drawing DBZ. If he doesn't we'll all have to get used to seeing an orange Goku. :lol:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:44 pm

I'm sure he's sick of it... remember he kept wanting to end it? First after the Red Ribbon saga, then after the Freeza saga, then after the Cell saga......Toei just wanted money, so they kept pushing Toriyama to keep going n' going.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:44 pm

Tapion wrote:I'm sure he's sick of it... remember he kept wanting to end it? First after the Red Ribbon saga, then after the Freeza saga, then after the Cell saga......Toei just wanted money, so they kept pushing Toriyama to keep going n' going.
I thing it's another reason, this is because Toyiyama said the Buu saga is one of his favourites, so I think he's a bit happy with the way it ended. It was probably bad memories of the busy-as--hell lifestlye he went through. He must have literally lived in the Dragonball World himself for 11 years.

Now I don't know about you but after watching DBZ for a few hours I get a bit tired and feel like doing something else, then come back and watch it later on and it feels fresher. He was forced to sit there and draw comics every week untill Dragonball ended. He was probably so tired and relieved that he probably didn't give two fucks about GT's production, he must have had the 'do what the bloody hell you want now' attitude with Toei.

Here's a question, if he actually did end it at the Freeza saga, do you thing Toriyama would have let Toei continue the story if they asked?

I don't think he would have, he would have been happy with the decision he made to pack it in, and not let Toei ruin it with there bull.

So they obviously pushed on persuading and he thought I might as well carry on, he probably even caught wind or was maybe even asked early if when he finished the story they could make more episodes with their own team.

So in fear of them ruining it he probably just carried on himself until Cell's story, and Toei must have kept on after that and that's when he realised they'll keep on and on until he's dead, so Toriyama just decided to make one last story(Buu) and end it fully, and he lets just let them take the show into their own hands with GT.

The fan's spoke. 64 episodes, that's it, they couldn't take anymore. It's over, end it happily, and GT ends with an episode that the majority of fans prefer to Dragoball Z's (or Dragonball's, for the manga fans).

Ehh. I'm going to bed.
My DB Fan manga:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does Toriyama dislike drawing Dragon Ball?

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 am

Bejiita wrote:Akira Toriyama said something in an interview related to drawing the new Kanzenban covers, that

''to draw Dragonball in a long time produced a very complicated mix of emotions, combining nostalgia with the feeling that he dind't want to draw Dragon Ball anymore.''
To me, it's quite obvious that the reason is it reminds him of the times when he was pressured to produce new chapters under a timelimit, and for 10 years!
Of course he disslikes getting memories of that!
Any sane person would!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:07 pm

The fan's spoke. 64 episodes, that's it, they couldn't take anymore. It's over, end it happily, and GT ends with an episode that the majority of fans prefer to Dragoball Z's (or Dragonball's, for the manga fans).
Of all the trilogy, GT has the best ending for me. Dragonball and Z just made me want to see what's going to happen later on...With GT, Goku is gone and with him the Dragonballs, which were the reason many of the villians of DB even existed (Pilaf, The Red Ribbon Army, Vegeta & Nappa, Freeza). Without Dragonballs, you have no enemies trying to take over Earth and without Goku, you have no one to stop them.

Z and DB's endings bothe left Goku and the Dragonballs intact, making it further possible for sequels. :P

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:40 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote: Z and DB's endings bothe left Goku and the Dragonballs intact, making it further possible for sequels. :P
Which was actually the point. You're supposed to know that the DBs will always be there should they be needed. This acts as a symbol of hope for the people of DB Earth, which was why they were created in the first place. I think it was just excellent storytelling on Toriyama's part. GT's ending was your typical "how do you find out if someone plagiarized?" bit.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:54 am

I guess you just get sick of coming up with stories and drawing the same stuff after you've been doing a series for 10+ years.

What I'm more interested for the future of Dragon Ball would be a complete re-release of the entire manga, on very high quality paper, the size of the Shounen Jump magazines in Japan. It'd be like the Kanzenban, but even more perfect. :shock:
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 am

Dayspring wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote: Z and DB's endings bothe left Goku and the Dragonballs intact, making it further possible for sequels. :P
Which was actually the point. You're supposed to know that the DBs will always be there should they be needed. This acts as a symbol of hope for the people of DB Earth, which was why they were created in the first place. I think it was just excellent storytelling on Toriyama's part. GT's ending was your typical "how do you find out if someone plagiarized?" bit.
The end of DB and Z left the chance open for more story to continue at Toriyama's own pace, but Toei closed the door with GT, it's like the soap opera killing off somone rather than making them leave with the chance of return.

Now we'll never see the story Toriyama intended to show after Z, that is, if he had one.
My DB Fan manga:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:31 pm

Actually, he might just pull a Yu-Gi-Oh!. In the manga, after the main series ended, Kazuki-sensei continued it with a story about Pegasus' brother out for revenge. The anime, on the other hand, has created a spin-off series with new characters and the old ones making very brief appearances (IE, Yuugi meets Juudai in ep one, gives him a card, and is never seen again).

Though, GX takes place ten years after Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters while Yu-Gi-Oh! R is practically right after the manga (as far as I know). So I dunno.
Last edited by B-kun on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Actually, he might just pull a Yu-Gi-Oh!. In the manga, after the main series ended, Kazuki-sensei continued it with a story about Pegasus' brother out for revenge. The anime, on the other hand, has created a spin-off series with no characters and the old ones making very brief appearances (IE, Yuugi meets Juudai in ep one, gives him a card, and is never seen again).

Though, GX takes place ten years after Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters while Yu-Gi-Oh! R is practically right after the manga (as far as I know). So I dunno.
That'd be cool! I'd guess it'd be something about Goku and Uub training though, seeing as how Toriyama was setting Uub up to take the place of what Gohan should have been. ^_^ Or of course it could be all about Goku like GT was.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:11 am

I believe Toriyama was somewhat like me, he loves what he's doing, but if he feels pressured or on a schedule to do something, it takes the fun away.

Toriyama might have just hated the pressure but not acctually the drawing. If you've ever read Dr.Slump, you can tell that Toriyama loves what he's doing at the time. But with DragonBall, it just became so big that the pressure was building up inside of him.

But as stated, he couldn't have bothered with Neko Majin if he hated DB. He just simply wanted to retire from it, drawing a chapter a week is really hard work. Some may see it as playing around & being lazy, but this kind of stuff is hard. I think he more disliked being pushed to go on with DB. I don't think he minded the Cell Era as much, but the Buu Saga just took him over the edge, finally he had to say, "I'm through, it's been fun but I've made enough money & it's time to retire".

Well there's my 2 cents.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:25 am

I remember reading one interview where Toriyama claimed that now he is glad that ghe wasn't allowed to quit the series. Since he was able to produce a much fuller story.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:13 pm

I believe Toriyama was somewhat like me, he loves what he's doing, but if he feels pressured or on a schedule to do something, it takes the fun away.

Toriyama might have just hated the pressure but not acctually the drawing. If you've ever read Dr.Slump, you can tell that Toriyama loves what he's doing at the time. But with DragonBall, it just became so big that the pressure was building up inside of him.

But as stated, he couldn't have bothered with Neko Majin if he hated DB. He just simply wanted to retire from it, drawing a chapter a week is really hard work. Some may see it as playing around & being lazy, but this kind of stuff is hard. I think he more disliked being pushed to go on with DB. I don't think he minded the Cell Era as much, but the Buu Saga just took him over the edge, finally he had to say, "I'm through, it's been fun but I've made enough money & it's time to retire".

Well there's my 2 cents.
That's probably the best explination (sp?) I've heard so far, Great Saiyaman. I'm actually very happy he didn't end DBZ with Freeza, because we'd never get to see Vegeta and Bulma or #18 and Krillin get together. :P

I think I know how Toriyama-sensei feels, one chapter of manga a week really is tiring! I know a chapter a week of my manga is anyway...