Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:52 pm

I just read this on the main site
The “Full Color” initiative actually online began back in June 2009. Over a five-month period, Shueisha released — for free, in both Japanese and in English with Viz’s existing translation — the first 23 chapters of the series.
Is there any way to still get these chapters?

User avatar
Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Tyro » Fri May 06, 2016 12:59 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I just read this on the main site
The “Full Color” initiative actually online began back in June 2009. Over a five-month period, Shueisha released — for free, in both Japanese and in English with Viz’s existing translation — the first 23 chapters of the series.
Is there any way to still get these chapters?
Some members saved them, but I remember the website they were on being very anti-piracy. Like I think it disabled your screen cap function, even?

Anyway. I have the first chapter, and the only difference is that Shenlong is colored differently. I'd be happy to share it when I get home tomorrow.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:02 am

Tyro wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I just read this on the main site
The “Full Color” initiative actually online began back in June 2009. Over a five-month period, Shueisha released — for free, in both Japanese and in English with Viz’s existing translation — the first 23 chapters of the series.
Is there any way to still get these chapters?
Some members saved them, but I remember the website they were on being very anti-piracy. Like I think it disabled your screen cap function, even?

Anyway. I have the first chapter, and the only difference is that Shenlong is colored differently. I'd be happy to share it when I get home tomorrow.
I'd be interested in checking these out. I wonder if the URL still works?

User avatar
Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Tyro » Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I'd be interested in checking these out. I wonder if the URL still works?
Nah, they were taken down a long time ago, and they were never all up at the same time. Only 3 or so would be up at a time, and the oldest one would be removed in place of a new one.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 pm

So I picked up the first 2 volumes of the English Freeza Saga and my god is it amazing. Quality is great and the color makes everything come to life. I'm like 95% sure the translations are the same though. Hopefully Viz announces the Cell saga sooner than before. 2 years is WAAAY too long.

My only overall complaint is that all Ki blasts are yellow. I think the diverse colors like in the anime Kamehameha Galick Gun clash makes it stand out a lot more than two yellow beams

User avatar
jrdemr
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:So I picked up the first 2 volumes of the English Freeza Saga and my god is it amazing. Quality is great and the color makes everything come to life. I'm like 95% sure the translations are the same though.
Two volumes? Isn't there just one available for now?

The translations are mostly the same, but there have been some minor touch-ups here and there. They were mostly made to make the text all fit inside the bubbles without having to compromise the font size. Before, they just increased the size of the bubbles. Guess that's a good thing, shows they want to leave the artwork untouched as much as possible (except for bloody Popo grumble). They also did a few more touch-ups to the translation here and there, but nothing too major, it's 98% the same thing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:04 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:So I picked up the first 2 volumes of the English Freeza Saga and my god is it amazing. Quality is great and the color makes everything come to life. I'm like 95% sure the translations are the same though.
Two volumes? Isn't there just one available for now?

The translations are mostly the same, but there have been some minor touch-ups here and there. They were mostly made to make the text all fit inside the bubbles without having to compromise the font size. Before, they just increased the size of the bubbles. Guess that's a good thing, shows they want to leave the artwork untouched as much as possible (except for bloody Popo grumble). They also did a few more touch-ups to the translation here and there, but nothing too major, it's 98% the same thing.
Wait, there is only one. I'm stupid. I saw July 5th and thought it said June 5th. My bad lol.
As for the translation I'm really hoping they use Mr. Satan when they get to him but it's only wishful thinking

User avatar
jrdemr
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:As for the translation I'm really hoping they use Mr. Satan when they get to him but it's only wishful thinking
I'm not holding my breath... but I'm crossing my fingers :P

(If they don't change anything in the artwork, it's going to be even harder to justify the name change with all the "Satan City" signs in the early Boo stuff).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:08 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:As for the translation I'm really hoping they use Mr. Satan when they get to him but it's only wishful thinking
I'm not holding my breath... but I'm crossing my fingers :P

(If they don't change anything in the artwork, it's going to be even harder to justify the name change with all the "Satan City" signs in the early Boo stuff).
That's actually what I thought too, as I think i heard somewhere on here that its much harder to edit in full color than black and white, so there is still a glimmer of hope

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:21 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Is there any way to still get these chapters?
I saved them all. It was a very painstaking procedure, so be sure to lavish your eyes with their beauty for me. :p
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pouj2xwhdhhq9 ... c.zip?dl=0
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Is there any way to still get these chapters?
I saved them all. It was a very painstaking procedure, so be sure to lavish your eyes with their beauty for me. :p
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pouj2xwhdhhq9 ... c.zip?dl=0
Thank you! I'll sure will!!

User avatar
Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA
Contact:

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Does anybody think there could be a way to get a campaign (not a freaking online petition) going to contact Viz about a potential Android arc release and having them fix Mr. Satan? I know there are other issues (I get it, but I don't like Vegerot), but putting Mr. Satan back in properly would really go a long way. Is there a name for the person editing these releases? If so, we could possibly find contact information. I think if we want this to happen, we would have to start asking about it before the Full Color Android arc would be announced.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Does anybody think there could be a way to get a campaign (not a freaking online petition) going to contact Viz about a potential Android arc release and having them fix Mr. Satan? I know there are other issues (I get it, but I don't like Vegerot), but putting Mr. Satan back in properly would really go a long way. Is there a name for the person editing these releases? If so, we could possibly find contact information. I think if we want this to happen, we would have to start asking about it before the Full Color Android arc would be announced.
Maybe if enough people contact them on Twitter about it. Otherwise i don't know

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Does anybody think there could be a way to get a campaign (not a freaking online petition) going to contact Viz about a potential Android arc release and having them fix Mr. Satan? I know there are other issues (I get it, but I don't like Vegerot), but putting Mr. Satan back in properly would really go a long way. Is there a name for the person editing these releases? If so, we could possibly find contact information. I think if we want this to happen, we would have to start asking about it before the Full Color Android arc would be announced.
Maybe if enough people contact them on Twitter about it. Otherwise i don't know
I and a few others have contacted them in regards to the 3in1s. sad to say he's here to stay..

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 am

I wonder if Viz will announce the licensing of the Cell Arc at Anime Expo this weekend?. Sure hope so, especially with the Freeza Arc wrapping up in January 2017.
Hopefully, they can start on Cell in May 2017, and keep the releases regular.

User avatar
jrdemr
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by jrdemr » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:I wonder if Viz will announce the licensing of the Cell Arc at Anime Expo this weekend?. Sure hope so, especially with the Freeza Arc wrapping up in January 2017.
Hopefully, they can start on Cell in May 2017, and keep the releases regular.
Well, the Viz Panel is today at 1:30 PM PDT, so we'll know by then.

Sure hope they do announce them, though, the release schedule has been way too slow.

User avatar
WhiskersTheWonderCat
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:54 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by WhiskersTheWonderCat » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Has anyone caught any errors with the full color release? I found this one where Viz left out an "s" in "respecting." Here it is compared the the VizBig release.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4235
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 am

Aw damn, really? lol Well, I guess they did just use the same translation/adaptation as before. Typos happen, but damn, get an editor.

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:20 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Aw damn, really? lol Well, I guess they did just use the same translation/adaptation as before. Typos happen, but damn, get an editor.
A better translation would be better but were far beyond that now. Especially since the recently released Super chapters are using the H Word. That, Buu The Djinn, and Vegerot are still gonna be present whenever full color Buu gets over here.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

User avatar
Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by Tyro » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:36 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:A better translation would be better but were far beyond that now. Especially since the recently released Super chapters are using the H Word. That, Buu The Djinn, and Vegerot are still gonna be present whenever full color Buu gets over here.
I hope they drop Vegerot in favor of a short note in the margins like "*In Japanese Kakarrot is Kakarrotto."

Post Reply