Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chilly

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by Chilly » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Lingering question on my mind. For those that have the Spanish Dragon Ball Full Color comics, what is the best way to import them from Spain? Amazon? Or another method? Thank you! I want to collect the Full Color comics, but I would prefer the smaller tankobon size and starting from the boyhood arc.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Chilly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm Lingering question on my mind. For those that have the Spanish Dragon Ball Full Color comics, what is the best way to import them from Spain? Amazon? Or another method? Thank you! I want to collect the Full Color comics, but I would prefer the smaller tankobon size and starting from the boyhood arc.
If possible, I'd suggest to buy them in a batch and sold by Amazon so they can try to send it all in one go or ask them if they could do that. Buying from a private seller would probably cost you more as he'd have to pay the standard shipping fees whereas Amazon is a business company.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:42 pm
Chilly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm Lingering question on my mind. For those that have the Spanish Dragon Ball Full Color comics, what is the best way to import them from Spain? Amazon? Or another method? Thank you! I want to collect the Full Color comics, but I would prefer the smaller tankobon size and starting from the boyhood arc.
If possible, I'd suggest to buy them in a batch and sold by Amazon so they can try to send it all in one go or ask them if they could do that. Buying from a private seller would probably cost you more as he'd have to pay the standard shipping fees whereas Amazon is a business company.
Makes sense. Appreciate the info! I have been on the fence with the English Viz Full Colors due to the poor binding (per Kanzenshuu's own review :D ) and since I can read Spanish moderately well, I thought I'd give those a go.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Funimation is about to milk DBZ again with another Blu-Ray collection and ViZ still didn't bother to release the rest Full Color Volumes of DBZ. I'm not even counting with the DB arcs anymore, because if it takes this much time to release the other two DBZ arcs, the much less popular DB portion may never see the light of day.

They say it's not cancelled, but the fact is the last volume was released over 2 years ago and they still didn't announced the next batch. It's "cancelled" until they prove otherwhise.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 pm Funimation is about to milk DBZ again with another Blu-Ray collection and ViZ still didn't bother to release the rest Full Color Volumes of DBZ. I'm not even counting with the DB arcs anymore, because if it takes this much time to release the other two DBZ arcs, the much less popular DB portion may never see the light of day.

They say it's not cancelled, but the fact is the last volume was released over 2 years ago and they still didn't announced the next batch. It's "cancelled" until they prove otherwhise.
The 30th's anniversary would have been a great occasion to announce the next couple of volumes with a roadmap for future releases!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 pm Funimation is about to milk DBZ again with another Blu-Ray collection and ViZ still didn't bother to release the rest Full Color Volumes of DBZ. I'm not even counting with the DB arcs anymore, because if it takes this much time to release the other two DBZ arcs, the much less popular DB portion may never see the light of day.

The 30th's anniversary would have been a great occasion to announce the next couple of volumes with a roadmap for future releases!
Even if they announced something it'll probably just be the Cell arc's 6 volumes. God knows how long we'll have to wait till Buu's gets released let alone the original DB's volumes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:45 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:39 pm Even if they announced something it'll probably just be the Cell arc's 6 volumes. God knows how long we'll have to wait till Buu's gets released let alone the original DB's volumes.
Even just Cell would be nice! I mean I'm shooting for the Kid Goku stuff, but it looks so good I'm happy with any part of the manga for sure.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Well guys. It's been 4 years since the Full Color Freeza Arc was announced.
Since then, we've had the Z 3-in-1 sets and now a complete reprint of all 26 Tankobon volumes.
What else could there be left for them not to go back to the full colors?.

This is beyond a joke, and I have zero expectation of them announcing them later today, but I hope I'm wrong.

They just tweeted me this *sigh*
Dragon Ball Full Color arcs are licensed separately from one another so we have no word on a release of the next arc. Stay tuned for more news on Dragon Ball manga
What more could they release at this point? Super is ongoing, they reprinted all of the DB manga Tankobon, and they've done the 3-in-1, Vizbig?.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:33 pm

I also have zero hope* of them announcing something today.

I just saw this fantastic thread on Twitter by Deb Aoki and she just said that, unlike in the past, most modern manga contracts demand that the licensee publish the entire series from beginning to end, no matter how unprofitable it ends up being (I'm assuming they can just vastly reduce the number of print copies or simply go all-digital if that ends up being the case).

The problem is that, unlike EVERYTHING ELSE, Dragon Ball Full Color is licensed on an arc-by-arc basis, so Viz can be as careful as they want and control the publishing schedule (or lack thereof) at their leisure.

Just... why did it have to be *THIS* series, though?...

There's always something inherently wrong with every release of classic Dragon Ball in North America, both the manga and the anime.

*(OK, maybe 1% hope. My point is, I don't have much of it.)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:33 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm
Dragon Ball Full Color arcs are licensed separately from one another so we have no word on a release of the next arc. Stay tuned for more news on Dragon Ball manga
What more could they release at this point? Super is ongoing, they reprinted all of the DB manga Tankobon, and they've done the 3-in-1, Vizbig?.
That last part is just to get you to keep following. It's sort of like "please be excited" for Japanese game companies.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:11 pm

jrdemr wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:33 pmThe problem is that, unlike EVERYTHING ELSE, Dragon Ball Full Color is licensed on an arc-by-arc basis.
That's because it isn't like everything else as the main version of the manga (the tankobon) has already been released in the west. It's unfortunate as I still don't own the manga and I was really hoping to buy this version but it's clearly not going to get continued.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Every time this thread is updated I have a glimmer of hope that something got announced only for it to die again.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:49 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:30 pm Every time this thread is updated I have a glimmer of hope that something got announced only for it to die again.
Same! :cry:
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:49 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:30 pm Every time this thread is updated I have a glimmer of hope that something got announced only for it to die again.
Same! :cry:
I have the opposite reaction where, whenever I see this thread updated, I think "Oh ViZ said once again there's complications?".

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 am

Having to deal with risks of collections not reaching their proper end seems to be a more major problem in the US than in other countries like France. It's probably what naturally goes with a bigger scale, the risks are just not the same for companies and can have much more dire consequences...

In France, DB sells very well overall, but I can't guarantee all collections were really successful. However, despite that, all releases (books and discs included) were always conducted until the end with regular schedules no matter what.

The only time when we could wonder "did they give up?" was when they stopped the Anime Comics right after Cell to release the Movie Anime Comics instead, but even then it could easily be infered that they just gave priority to the movies and would get back to the Boo arc right after all movies had been released, and sure enough, that's exactly what they did.

So yeah, it's very different here. In France, a much smaller country that must represent much smaller risks, we pretty much know that every single collection of DB books or DB discs that gets started will be completed and will be released on a regular schedule until completion no matter what.

It must be stressful to start a collection in the US, while always having that knowledge that if things don't work out in the coming months/years, the collection will just be cut short without the rest, and that this sort of things isn't something rare! :?
DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm What more could they release at this point? Super is ongoing, they reprinted all of the DB manga Tankobon, and they've done the 3-in-1, Vizbig?.
They could do the Anime Comics for all movies (although the TV specials may not be included as they are noticeably hard to get the rights to, even Glénat couldn't have them in France from what was said) and for the whole Dragon Ball Z show, including lots of fillers, making the amount of pages and volumes to release even bigger than the Z portion of the original manga I guess. It would take years to release and collect, likely putting a stop to all other releases from this franchise during those years.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 pm

At this point, I've all but given up on Viz releasing any other arcs in full color. They seem to let the "flavor of the week" dictate what they put time and effort to (i.e. titles like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, etc.). Even then, quality control on some of the volumes have been horrendous lately - from bad/misaligned spine printing, typos, logo changes... you name it.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Chilly wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 pm They seem to let the "flavor of the week" dictate what they put time and effort to (i.e. titles like The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, etc.).
Labelling The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone as “flavour of the week” seems a little unfair as both are legitimately great series deserving of time and effort.