Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes!! IMO this is the best way to read the manga; there's even more clarity on top of Toriyama's existing art, and it's one of the few ways to read the manga in the original Shonen Jump size. Not to mention it just feels so... premium! I do hope they get to cover the original Dragon Ball stuff as well, that's the stuff I crave the most!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

BUMP!

Quoting this from one year ago, because Anime Expo is coming in a few weeks:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Saiyan arc announced in 2013 at Anime Expo and released in 2014.
Freeza arc announced in 2015 at Anime Expo and released in 2016/2017.

Going by their pattern, I fear Cell arc will only be announced next year at Anime Expo and start getting released in 2019.
If they don't announce Cell arc there, I give up.
They keep saying it's not cancelled, but they also don't release anything... :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Goddamnit my heart jumped when I saw the topic reply notification. You're evil man.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:58 pm

I HOPE they do Cell/Androids! Full Color is too beautiful not to leave untranslated.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 pm

I kinda gave up and started reading the Japanese edition. Even if they do announce more, at the pace they're going, we won't be finished until 2025.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I hope so. I've bolded off adding any of these to my collection because I'm not sure if we'll ever get them completed and released. If they announce Cell material for sure, I'll start ordering the ones already out I think.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm

jrdemr wrote:I kinda gave up and started reading the Japanese edition. Even if they do announce more, at the pace they're going, we won't be finished until 2025.
Where do you get the Japanese editions?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 am

Helios518 wrote:
jrdemr wrote:I kinda gave up and started reading the Japanese edition. Even if they do announce more, at the pace they're going, we won't be finished until 2025.
Where do you get the Japanese editions?
From CD Japan. Seems like there are 5 volumes missing right now, but you can always use proxy shipping, or alternatively, go to eBay to get the rest (it's a lot more expensive there, though).

Do be warned, however, that depending on where you live, you might get some pretty hefty import taxes (just in case you don't usually order from abroad). Personally, the Portuguese mail service is getting pretty merciless. Back in January, they stuck me with an 18€ import fee for a single 30€ book. I basically swore off importing forever unless something absolutely unmissable comes along (like more full color editions of my favorite manga). I mean, I get that we shouldn't resort to... "alternative methods of distribution", but... the government's not making it very easy to walk the straight and narrow, now is it?

If you live in Spain or Latin America, do also keep in mind that there is a complete Spanish translation of the thing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am

Forte224 wrote:I've bolded off adding any of these to my collection because I'm not sure if we'll ever get them completed and released.
Same here as I don't want to start a collection only to have to complete it with a different release or start over again. I'm probably going to get the vizbigs as I highly doubt these will ever get completed (DB & Z) and even if they do we'll probably be either dead or in our 80s/90s. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 am

Personally I don't mind because A) The colouring is amazing, and B) It's the only release I know of of the manga at the original Shonen Jump dimensions.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:Personally I don't mind because A) The colouring is amazing, and B) It's the only release I know of of the manga at the original Shonen Jump dimensions.
Also, I get why some people are holding off on buying the things until we're sure to get a complete release... but if more people think like that and hold off on buying, the less Viz knows that people ACTUALLY want them.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 pm

I have bought Volumes 4&5 of the Freeza arc from a UK online seller. Gotta enjoy UK's prices before customs start destroying our wallets due to Brexit.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm

omegalucas wrote:I have bought Volumes 4&5 of the Freeza arc from a UK online seller. Gotta enjoy UK's prices before customs start destroying our wallets due to Brexit.
I know, right?

I was about to hold off on buying the entire Shokugeki no Souma collection, but after I remembered this, I quickly bought all of them.

I sure as hell hope that Amazon UK and Book Depository have some sort of warehouse in Ireland or somewhere in mainland Europe for all of us still in the EU. Otherwise... well, they can expect their profits to take one hell of a hit.

Well, even if we start getting customs charges from UK shipments, it won't be too bad for me... right now. My gaming and manga backlog is so insanely huge that I have enough to tide me over for at least five years, so...
Last edited by jrdemr on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 pm

omegalucas wrote:Gotta enjoy UK's prices before customs start destroying our wallets due to Brexit.
I read Brexit may not happen but I don't know how accurate that is.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
omegalucas wrote:Gotta enjoy UK's prices before customs start destroying our wallets due to Brexit.
Oh, it's pretty much going to happen. The President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, said himself that the process is now irreversible (I'm assuming that they want to make some sort of example out of the U.K.). The only question remaining is if they're going to have a soft Brexit (meaning they'll effectively still be in the single market and will still have to allow free movement of people, while not enjoying any of the EU's other benefits nor having to pay any of its taxes) or a hard Brexit (full separation, starting over from scratch... which I highly hope they don't do).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm

jrdemr wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Oh, it's pretty much going to happen. The President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, said himself that the process is now irreversible (I'm assuming that they want to make some sort of example out of the U.K.). The only question remaining is if they're going to have a soft Brexit (meaning they'll effectively still be in the single market and will still have to allow free movement of people, while not enjoying any of the EU's other benefits nor having to pay any of its taxes) or a hard Brexit (full separation, starting over from scratch... which I highly hope they don't do).
I get my Naruto sets from the UK so how will this affect prices ? will it hurt UK citizens or just people ordering from other countries ? or both ?

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
jrdemr wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I get my Naruto sets from the UK so how will this affect prices ? will it hurt UK citizens or just people ordering from other countries ? or both ?
I don't know exactly how it will affect the UK since they themselves probably don't, given that they will now have to make new laws... for basically everything. However, as I said, how it affects us will depend entirely on whether they do a soft Brexit (and therefore remain in the single market) or if they go the hard Brexit route (meaning they will essentially be treated the same as any other non-EU country by our local customs office).

There's also the matter of exactly where you get those Naruto sets from. If your specific seller decides to ship everything from a warehouse located inside the EU (Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, etc. etc.) then, if you live in the EU, it won't matter a thing since your goods are effectively being shipped from inside the EU. The fact that it's a UK website matters not one bit.

Oh, and if your shipments are below 22€ (including shipping), even if it's a shipment from Japan or some faraway place, you'll never pay anything in customs. Hence why my 30€ book got slapped with those outrageous fees. I also heard rumblings that you won't get any fees if they amount to less than 10€... but I couldn't confirm that anywhere. Though the fact is, every time I got fees, they've never been less than 10€. Least I got was, I think, was the 18€ I spoke of above.

That said, how it will affect you will also depend on what specific country you live in, since every country has different laws. The customs laws in the EU are basically shared, so if, like me, you live in the EU, you can expect the same (awful) treatment I get. However, if you're outside the EU... then you'll have to google your own country's customs laws... or ask someone who knows them. Without knowing where you live, I cannot give you any concrete advice... then again, since none of us know whether there's going to be a soft or hard Brexit, anything I'm saying here is just a list of possible scenarios.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm

jrdemr wrote: Oh, and if your shipments are below 22€ (including shipping), even if it's a shipment from Japan or some faraway place, you'll never pay anything in customs. Hence why my 30€ book got slapped with those outrageous fees. I also heard rumblings that you won't get any fees if they amount to less than 10€... but I couldn't confirm that anywhere. Though the fact is, every time I got fees, they've never been less than 10€. Least I got was, I think, was the 18€ I spoke of above.
The reason for those high prices in customs here in Portugal isn't the customs themselves (our IVA only goes up to 23%) but the handling fee by the post offices, who steal 12€ each time they fill a form to release stuff from customs (using the documents WE have to give them, and they are extremely picky with that). And they have exclusive rights for that, we can't simply go to the customs' offices and do the paperworks ourselves unfortunately.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:39 pm

omegalucas wrote:The reason for those high prices in customs here in Portugal isn't the customs themselves (our IVA only goes up to 23%) but the handling fee by the post offices, who steal 12€ each time they fill a form to release stuff from customs (using the documents WE have to give them, and they are extremely picky with that). And they have exclusive rights for that, we can't simply go to the customs' offices and do the paperworks ourselves unfortunately.
I just really hate this system. I get that it's to "protect the domestic market" but... I mean, these laws are just super old-fashioned. It's the 21st century. Not everything's sold in every market, you know? And even when they are, sometimes you get stuff abroad for reasons other than cheaper prices. For instance, I'd really like to import more manga in Japanese for me to practice, but if they're going to commit highway robbery on me every time I do it...

And then they complain people resort to piracy. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am

jrdemr wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Personally I don't mind because A) The colouring is amazing, and B) It's the only release I know of of the manga at the original Shonen Jump dimensions.
Also, I get why some people are holding off on buying the things until we're sure to get a complete release... but if more people think like that and hold off on buying, the less Viz knows that people ACTUALLY want them.
That's fine and all, but it's a 2-way street. I need at least some hint of knowing they'll be completed before committing. That's why as soon as we know the Cell stuff is coming out I'll be onboard, despite not knowing 100% if Boo will ever be finished. At least I'll have something to go on then. I'll know that long droughts of silence don't equal "cancelled". If ya know what I'm saying.