Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

anth21ony

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by anth21ony » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Well the thing is that this press release came prior to the initial release of volume 1. Being that the new year just began, could this mean that they're actually on schedule for the next release? It's obviously still early in the year, but in theory if they stick with the same release schedule the next one would be in February. It is odd though that VIZ hasn't said anything, but it's a thought.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:31 pm

In the worst case scenario (unfortunately that's what must have happened) the volumes didn't sell much as they were expecting and they decided to "cancel" it for now.
Full Color quality is amazing but that means it isn't cheap to do it.

The anime sells well and easily, not matter how many crappy re-releases they do.
But I'm pretty sure a lot of the fanbase don't care about the manga at all. A lot of people aren't even into anime/manga too, they just like Dragon Ball.

So in other words, its much more hard for this series to sell a manga volume than a DVD.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 pm

anth21ony wrote:Well the thing is that this press release came prior to the initial release of volume 1. Being that the new year just began, could this mean that they're actually on schedule for the next release? It's obviously still early in the year, but in theory if they stick with the same release schedule the next one would be in February. It is odd though that VIZ hasn't said anything, but it's a thought.
It's too late for a February release. Otherwise, it would be listed in their release schedule. Not to mention they would have mentioned it on their Facebook and Twitter accounts. If it does come out in 2015, it'll be later in the year.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:07 am

Apologies, I posted this in the wrong topic before:
Jabberwock xeno wrote:Just got my hands on this.

These are absolutely gorgeous. The color palette is just astounding, the detail is great, it's just so good. I will be very, very, very saddened if the rest of the series isn't released like this here. I very well may have to end up importing it or obtain it by other means.The only flaw I see is that for some reasons some of the ki attacks are the wrong colors, but that could just be because that's how the anime had it (i'm pretty certain Kamehameha's are actually supposed to be blue, though)

Is there some email address for viz customer feedback or something so that we can let them know that we really want the rest of these released?

And what about the digital versions? I know these were released digitally, does viz offer the rest of the series in color digitally, or like print, does it only go up to the end of the saiyan saga? I also asked a while ago if anybody knows what the native resolution of the digital manga is, but I have yet to get an answer.
As an addendum, how do the digital releases even work? Can they even be purchased without subscription? Also, info via some friends of mine who are a little less prone to getting legitimate releases then I am has led me to think that the digital version's native resolution is 1910 x 3056, which is fairly impressive.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:17 am

Jabberwock xeno wrote:And what about the digital versions? I know these were released digitally, does viz offer the rest of the series in color digitally, or like print, does it only go up to the end of the saiyan saga? I also asked a while ago if anybody knows what the native resolution of the digital manga is, but I have yet to get an answer.
Just like the print version, the digital version only goes up to the end of the Saiyan saga. Can't help you regarding the native resolution question, though.
Jabberwock xeno wrote:Is there some email address for viz customer feedback or something so that we can let them know that we really want the rest of these released?
You could just try and contact them through their facebook page, they frequently answer, though many of us (myself included) have already tried to do it to little avail.

Speaking of which, it seems Viz decided to discreetly ignore my post asking for them to comment on the announcement anth21ony unearthed. Honestly, and as much as it hurts for me to admit it, they probably did originally intend to publish three volumes a year, as per the announcement, but the Full Colors likely sold a lot less than they expected so they just decided to halt them. Otherwise, they wouldn't have repeatedly told anyone asking that they only intended to publish the Saiyan saga for now.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:40 am

Jabberwock xeno wrote:As an addendum, how do the digital releases even work? Can they even be purchased without subscription? Also, info via some friends of mine who are a little less prone to getting legitimate releases then I am has led me to think that the digital version's native resolution is 1910 x 3056, which is fairly impressive.
http://www.vizmanga.com/dragon-ball-full-color

Each digital volume is a one-time payment, just like if you were buying the physical copy. No subscription (unless you count simply creating a VizManga account to keep track of your purchases). After purchase you can read the volume(s) you've bought in Viz's flash-based reader on the website, or if you have a tablet you can download them via the VizManga app and read them that way.

If you don't want to buy directly from Viz, you can also purchase them via Comixology, Amazon, Google Play, iBooks, etc.

I think that the only option that lets you read via web browser is buying from VizManga, however. Pretty sure all the others require a tablet (though I've never used Comixology before).

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

It would be such a shame and waste if the rest of the Full Colour series do not get published. :(

I'm willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to have the full DBZ manga in glorious colour and in English!

Please, Viz... pretty please!

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm

BobZ wrote:It would be such a shame and waste if the rest of the Full Colour series do not get published. :(

I'm willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to have the full DBZ manga in glorious colour and in English!

Please, Viz... pretty please!
That would be vain because the whole Z is already colored, all VIZ has to do is edit in the English translations. I would buy it digitally if they would just release it digitally (and lower that price).

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Careless Saiyajin wrote:That would be vain because the whole Z is already colored, all VIZ has to do is edit in the English translations. I would buy it digitally if they would just release it digitally (and lower that price).
Z? The whole manga is already colored and available digitally in Japan.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Careless Saiyajin wrote:That would be vain because the whole Z is already colored, all VIZ has to do is edit in the English translations. I would buy it digitally if they would just release it digitally (and lower that price).
Z? The whole manga is already colored and available digitally in Japan.
I was referring to Z in this context but yes you are surely correct, the entire manga is finished in color.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:18 pm

So, any news on The full color Vol. 4/Freeza arc Vol.1 Viz editions?
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Planeta Comics have moved onto releasing the Freeza Arc of the Full Colour Comics. Still no word on Viz's release.

http://www.planetadelibros.com/dragon-b ... 65920.html

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Planeta Comics have moved onto releasing the Freeza Arc of the Full Colour Comics. Still no word on Viz's release.

So France gets Kanzenban, Spain gets Full color. And what does the english speaking people get? Jack shit/3-in-1 manga. :thumbdown: :(
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:20 pm

I still prefer the original manga to be honest, even the coloured chapters have a certain character to them which aren't in the full-colour release.

But that being said I still want them all, so far I've only found the first 3 in shops. I guess I'll have to buy the rest online...
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

CordonBloo wrote:I still prefer the original manga to be honest, even the coloured chapters have a certain character to them which aren't in the full-colour release.

But that being said I still want them all, so far I've only found the first 3 in shops. I guess I'll have to buy the rest online...
The Japanese ones?

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Planeta Comics have moved onto releasing the Freeza Arc of the Full Colour Comics. Still no word on Viz's release.

So France gets Kanzenban, Spain gets Full color. And what does the english speaking people get? Jack shit/3-in-1 manga. :thumbdown: :(
I know it's neither here nor there, but Spain also has a complete release of the Kanzenban. So there's that. We got an 18 volume release of the tankoubon.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Rukura wrote:
Vegitofaxx wrote:

I know it's neither here nor there, but Spain also has a complete release of the Kanzenban. So there's that. We got an 18 volume release of the tankoubon.
Well...*bangs my head against the wall* VIIIIZZZZ!!!!!!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Dammit Amazon Spain doesn't have it in stock so I guess I'll have to wait and see or check other websites for it.

I'd totally order this today if Amazon Spain had it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:37 am

I tweeted Viz about Planeta comics releasing the Freeza Arc, and whether there was any news on them licensing it.
Their response was:
Nope. Haven't heard anything at all yet.
At least they haven't ruled it out. Hope remains.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Didn't they say they were only releasing 3 Volumes a year?
El Conejo Malo