Would you like to see GT designs and concepts recycled?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Would you like to see GT designs and concepts recycled?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 pm

GT had great designs and concepts. Most notably the famous SS4 design, it's cool looking and incorporated the Saiyan's monkey theme very well. Baby was an interesting enemy with a great story, even if his fight scene's were slow, unfaithful to the Dragon Ball canon, and boring. Super 17 was also a good idea, but his arc was again too underwhelming to justify the characters' apparent power at the time. Again the Shadow Dragon Arc was a fantastic idea, but elements could have been changed to make it more sensible for the Dragon Balls to produce such powerful beings, and all but 3 of the Shadow Dragons were not threatening and uninteresting. Eis and Nova had good designs, they looked strong and mystical, but their powers could have been more exaggerated, ice shouldn't be doing that much damage to a SS4 and Nova's attacks could have been more epic in scale. Omega Shenron had an amazing design, but the battle with him lacked any trace of epicness or godlike powers clashing, it was slow and didn't do anything to show how absurdly powerful the characters should have been.

Now with all these great plot concepts and character designs that were simply handled horribly, what if they recycled them into a new continuity that was more true to the absurd level of power the characters would have at that point, and strung the events together in a more reasonable way?

I'd love to see a new version of Dragon Ball GT, with updated animation, better more epic fights, and a revised storyline that flowed well and realistically and had more twists and of course a better cast of Shadow Dragons. I think the Dragon Balls should leave earth and fuse with things like black holes and stars in order to create godlike beings harnessing the power of cosmic hazards. The one star ball fuses with hell itself, creating a Syn Shenron look alike, but perhaps emaciated to make him look creepier, but as he devours more dragon balls, he gains body mass.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would you like to see GT designs and concepts recycled?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Nope. GT already recycled older ideas from past stories since Bebi Vegeta was Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans meets Majin Vegeta. The whole fight between SSj4 Goku and Bebi Vegeta felt like a rehash of Goku vs. Vegeta during the Saiyan saga. Ubb fusing with Buu was just a rehash of Piccolo fusing with Kami against Cell and the Super 17 saga was Fusion Reborn meets Super 13. Goku going to outer space to look for the dragon balls in space feel like they were trying too hard to rehash the original DB saga.

The Shadow Dragon saga to me felt like the only idea that they try to make in GT and the only saga that could work in the manga. Bebi and Super 17 were based on filler ideas and escaping out of Hell would be impossible to happen in the manga anyways.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Nope. GT already recycled older ideas from past stories since Bebi Vegeta was Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans meets Majin Vegeta. The whole fight between SSj4 Goku and Bebi Vegeta felt like a rehash of Goku vs. Vegeta during the Saiyan saga. Ubb fusing with Buu was just a rehash of Piccolo fusing with Kami against Cell and the Super 17 saga was Fusion Reborn meets Super 13. Goku going to outer space to look for the dragon balls in space feel like they were trying too hard to rehash the original DB saga.

The Shadow Dragon saga to me felt like the only idea that they try to make in GT and the only saga that could work in the manga. Bebi and Super 17 were based on filler ideas and escaping out of Hell would be impossible to happen in the manga anyways.
Perhaps they can continue off from Battle of Gods with a re-imagining of the Shadow Dragons? Instead of fusing with volancos and shit, fuse with Black Holes and Supernovas and poisonous gas planets, a moon made of Katchin?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 am

While I imagine child ssjg Goku would be even more adorable than regular ssjg Goku, the only GT element that I'd like to see recycled would be the concept of an outer space DB hunt. The wish wouldn't have to "curse" Goku, it could be Pilaf actually getting his wish to rule over Earth. Send half the stronger characters out into space (Vegeta needs to be one of them; his knowledge of space and reputation make him super-helpful to the plot. I was so upset when I first learned that he didn't get to go on the outer space DB hunt in GT) while keeping the other half on Earth to battle and try to topple Pilaf's now world-army. I'd completely overhaul the types of planets they visit though; there was too much "this arc from DB, but in SPACE" in GT. (Looking at you, Space-Oolong.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:12 am

Would I like the concepts recycled into something else entirely? No. Would I mind a new series or a couple of OVAs/specials/movies that just rewrites GT not to have so many failed executions? Go for it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:12 am

I liked the ideas of a space DB search, SS4, and the Shadow Dragons.
Wasn't there a throaway line in the manga in which Old Kai said that it wasn't good to overuse the Dragon Balls? There you go.
I think that all this could have been done without child Goku. I like the idea of Pilaf getting his wish to rule Earth: he could wish for the DBs to go to space so no one else can wish for him to stop ruling the world. Then, the characters would go look for them, and when they came back, they'd find out that the Shadow Dragons had taken over Earth.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Would I like the concepts recycled into something else entirely? No. Would I mind a new series or a couple of OVAs/specials/movies that just rewrites GT not to have so many failed executions? Go for it.
Pretty much this. Although, if we had to see an idea recycled for something different and new instead of making what it is already better...then I'd have to go with the Dragons arc. It's the sole truly original idea that GT had, and the one that arguably suffers the most from what GT did with it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Meh, not really. I would, however, like to see the stories and concepts presented in DragonBall Online as well as Battle of Gods (i.e., The "12 Universes" aspect) elaborated upon in some kind of format. Be it in manga or animated form.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:04 am

I would love to get a "Dragonball GT Kai" so we could get an ending to the anime that we could all love.
It saddens me that the ending of an epic series (DB/DBZ) is the most hated!

What i would rewrite from the script:
- Show us more of Uub and Goku training!
- Fix all plotholes. No more magic pants for SSJ4! Goku breaks his shirt Hulk style every time he goes SSJ4 and then retains his gi pants.
- Remove the Black Star DBs Hunt Saga or at least make it more entertaining to watch.
- Cut to the Baby Saga and improve it! Make it so Gohan is still Mystic!
-After the Baby Saga, Goku is wished back as an adult with the Earth Dragonballs.
-The Super 17 Saga gets reworked. Uub is the one on the spotlight to show us the fruits of his labor! Goku is stuck on Hell (Piccolo doesn't die) fightning Freeza and Cell meanwhile the Z-Warriors tackle the past villains to make some interesting fights (Nappa vs Vegeta stays the same, Mystic Gohan VS Broly, Trunks VS Android 19 and Dr.Gero etc, The Humans versus the Ginyu force, Piccolo VS Cooler etc.) so at least not everyone looks useless compared to Goku.
- Cell and Freeza don't go down so easily against Goku in hell.
- Uub wins against Super 17 showing that he's capable of being the New Earth Protector.
- Shadow Dragon Saga is the same except the other Dragons other than Eis, Nova and Sin are stronger so they get tackled on by the Z- Fighters. We get introduced to Adult SSJ3 Gotenks. Omega Shenron is defeated by SSJ4 Gogeta and not the
Spirit Bomb.
- Remove all the crap about Goku jr. and Vegeta jr.
- Also i rewrite Goten hair so he has the same hair as the 28th Budokai Tenkaichi because his GT hair looks godawful.
- Vegeta gets to go SSJ at least one time before shaving because i want to see a glorious golden moustache :lol:

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:58 am

Flame Dragon wrote: - Vegeta gets to go SSJ at least one time before shaving because i want to see a glorious golden moustache :lol:
He needs to have it in his "fight" against Nappa!!! :lol:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Like Chuquita mentioned, I like the idea of a universal dragon ball hunt. Traveling from different planets and having Vegeta act as sort of a guide would've been a lot of fun. There's a million scenarios you can come up with especially with a universe like in DB. It has a lot of unexplored potential. (And I like space stuff, a lot!)

As for designs, I would honestly keep the look of Pan and of course SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta. Pan's outfit was cute and tomboyish, which I think fits the character very well. SSJ4 Goku and Veggie are just cool looking to me. (DAT FUR).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I rather have a new cyborg then Super 17. I do agree that Cell and Freeza should not be taken down so easily, maybe have them fuse to make it more challenging for Goku. Celleza could be cool if done right.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:57 pm

The "Dragon Balls having repercussions" concept was pretty cool.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:While I imagine child ssjg Goku would be even more adorable than regular ssjg Goku, the only GT element that I'd like to see recycled would be the concept of an outer space DB hunt. The wish wouldn't have to "curse" Goku, it could be Pilaf actually getting his wish to rule over Earth. Send half the stronger characters out into space (Vegeta needs to be one of them; his knowledge of space and reputation make him super-helpful to the plot. I was so upset when I first learned that he didn't get to go on the outer space DB hunt in GT) while keeping the other half on Earth to battle and try to topple Pilaf's now world-army. I'd completely overhaul the types of planets they visit though; there was too much "this arc from DB, but in SPACE" in GT. (Looking at you, Space-Oolong.)
Actually - I would like this a lot. Master Roshi, Chi Chi and Bulma on Earth, providing great filler material, and the Z fighters in Space. I think it's an awesome idea - and we all can pretend that GT and SSJ4 never existed. Deal?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:44 pm

I too would like to keep the space parts with DBGT with Vegeta as a guide. This would lead to interesting moments as well, such as one of the balls landing on one of Freeza's planets with Vegeta remembering his past.
Goku would still be an adult, think of the fun moments having Goku and Vegeta cramped into a spaceship. :lol:
They would also give Pan more responsibilities and mentoring her into becoming a stronger fighter, stepping aside at times to let her grow.
Ultimately, I am not a fan of the SSJ4 form to be honest and I believe that we can live without that.
Alternatively, if Goku is kept as a kid, he will become a SSJ4 and remain a kid. That would be cool.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Godo wrote:I too would like to keep the space parts with DBGT with Vegeta as a guide. This would lead to interesting moments as well, such as one of the balls landing on one of Freeza's planets with Vegeta remembering his past.
Goku would still be an adult, think of the fun moments having Goku and Vegeta cramped into a spaceship. :lol:
They would also give Pan more responsibilities and mentoring her into becoming a stronger fighter, stepping aside at times to let her grow.
Ultimately, I am not a fan of the SSJ4 form to be honest and I believe that we can live without that.
Alternatively, if Goku is kept as a kid, he will become a SSJ4 and remain a kid. That would be cool.
I think turning Goku into a kid was one of the things that made GT suck so bad, trying to mix in the whimsical childishness of Dragon Ball with the serious drama in Z just watered down what could have been thrilling epic stories. If they were to redo the space dragon ball quest, I think giving 2 minor characters some screen time, like maybe Goten and Trunks, would be better. While Goku's off training with Uub, Goten and Trunks decide to go hunt down the BSDBs, getting stuck baby sitting Pan, maybe they're even both turned into kids prior and when fusing into Gotenks they turn into an adult Gotenks since the power surpasses the spell or whatever. They trio could end up visiting the planet of Frieza's race, which have been planning some big plan of revenge with the help of Dr. Myuu who shares a common enemy in the Saiyans and protectors of the universe. That could initiate the Baby arc, which would be handled much better more faithful to the more serious and realistic flow of things from the manga.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:11 pm

So with this new "ani-manga" version of GT do you think they'll change anything or keep the story exactly the same?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, with 'ani-manga', you're kinda locked in to just doing the same thing that the show did, I would imagine. I mean, you're just using screenshots. Unless you make a parody, I'd imagine it's hard to create something new with it.

That and, well...they seem to be starting with the Evil Dragons arc for some asinine reason or another. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Well, with 'ani-manga', you're kinda locked in to just doing the same thing that the show did, I would imagine. I mean, you're just using screenshots. Unless you make a parody, I'd imagine it's hard to create something new with it.

That and, well...they seem to be starting with the Evil Dragons arc for some asinine reason or another. :crazy:
I just wish they drew some scenes depicting actual dragon ball z level power

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:22 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:The "Dragon Balls having repercussions" concept was pretty cool.
This. I loved that idea so much because ''To me'' It just makes sense. Dragonball Z got into ''Well if anyone dies we'll just use the Dragonballs again and again and bring them back!'' And if I'm not mistaken wasn't the Dragonballs only meant to be used once every 100 years?(I thought I remember the original Dragonball series saying something like that but I haven't watch it all yet so I could be mistaken) and if that's the case it just makes sense when something that isn't supposed to be used over and over having some sort of consequence.
I liked the shadow dragons especially Nova and Ice Shenron, I don't really care for Pan too much except when she was old and dying. that made me really sad. :P Hated the US broadcast score on it(Coming from a fan of the score in Z) ''Da Da Da Dump'' over and over JUST SHUT UP! :lol:
I hated how Vegeta Jr & Goku Jr didn't know anything of their heritage. so scrap that. Even though! I understand...It does seem that each generation that comes and goes, they care less and less about the generation before them. I mean, Do you care about your great great great great great great great grandfather? :P Thanks for what ya did but other than that.. :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!