Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5878
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Well then going by that the strongest of those gods has to be the 6th one counting from top to bottom and left to right.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Godo
I Live Here
Posts: 3318
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 am

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Godo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:45 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Every main villian in Z started out looking weak, or much weaker than others they were with.

"[Beerus is] a bit eerie, and at first glance, he doesn't seem strong at all, so I like him quite a bit. He even makes cute cat-like gestures. In my works, “guys who seem like they ought to be strong are actually weak.” ……Like Nappa. (laughs)"
--Akira Toriyama
Yes, I was not arguing to every main villain looking weak, but the fact that you said all villains were weak looking, which isn't the case.
If we hold this to the topic, not all Gods of destruction need to be as strong as Beerus, and some may as well be stronger.
Some maybe govern over weak universes, and thus are weaker. Thus, they don't ever need to take the main villain role and look weak, especially if they are weaker than Goku.
So the fan designs can still hold true.
Regarding the illustrations that we got here, in my opinion some of them look weak, so it works.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:04 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.
Ummm, King Piccolo was an eight foot tall demon and Imperfect Cell was a creepy looking bug thing with a stabby tail who physically towered over everyone else. I wouldn't describe either as looking non-threatening, especially since the first thing the latter does is suck someone's guts out with said tail while smirking creepily.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:12 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.
Ummm, King Piccolo was an eight foot tall demon and Imperfect Cell was a creepy looking bug thing with a stabby tail who physically towered over everyone else. I wouldn't describe either as looking non-threatening, especially since the first thing the latter does is suck someone's guts out with said tail while smirking creepily.
They both were creepy looking, I'll give you that, but I don't think either of them looked like a match for Goku and company.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Goku didn't even come up to Piccolo's kneecaps. Piccolo's fist was the size of Goku's torso. :|
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:14 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mess with either of these guys. Just saying.
I mean, he has a giant skull chair. That's scary.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mess with either of these guys. Just saying.
I mean, he has a giant skull chair. That's scary.
Know whats scarier?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8287
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Imperfect Cell did. He looked fucking awesome and tough as nails.

But at the same time, he also looks progressively weaker as he transforms.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Saiga wrote:Imperfect Cell did. He looked fucking awesome and tough as nails.

But at the same time, he also looks progressively weaker as he transforms.
I would have to disagree here. I don't think Perfect Cell looks any weaker than Semi-Perfect Cell. Leaner, yes, but not weaker.
But that may just be due to my dislike of his Semi-Perfect form, so.... meh :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Semi Perfect looks the weakest. Looks like someone the Earthlings could beat. I mean damn he looks like Kiwi can kick his ass. He looks a generic solider with no name.
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku didn't even come up to Piccolo's kneecaps. Piccolo's fist was the size of Goku's torso. :|
Remember this guy?

Image

Goku had defeated big guys before that looked stronger than Piccolo with ease.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Imperfect Cell and King Piccolo didn't start out looking weak.
King Piccolo first appeared as old and decrepit, and Imperfect Cell was skinny and bug like. Neither looked very strong.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mess with either of these guys. Just saying.
I mean, he has a giant skull chair. That's scary.
They look creepy, and maybe a threat to regular people, but not for Goku.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Okay, so what's your point? You're really contradicting yourself now.

"Toriyama's main villains always look non-threatening. What's that you say, I was wrong and two main villains look threatening? Well they don't actually, because we're used to Toriyama making his villains look non-threatening, so something that looks threatening actually doesn't look threatening, while something that doesn't look threatening also doesn't look threatening... somehow".
They look creepy, and maybe a threat to regular people, but not for Goku.
And Nappa did?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Okay, so what's your point?
My point is that in Dragon Ball, the strongest characters usually don't look very strong at first, and the strong looking characters are usually weak. Toriyama said so himself, so there's really no point in arguing :P
And Nappa did?
Nappa did what, look strong and threatening? Yes, he did, and Toriyama agrees. :P

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8287
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Nah, I definitely think Semi-Perfect Cell looks stronger than his Perfect form, when he isn't making stupid faces. Unfortunately that happens a lot because Toriyama immediately started making him look like a bitch after he beat 16.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Saiga wrote:Nah, I definitely think Semi-Perfect Cell looks stronger than his Perfect form.
I agree. Perfect Cell does look smarter and more sophisticated, though.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: They look creepy, and maybe a threat to regular people, but not for Goku.
Compared to what? Piccolo is a giant green demon, who shows up right after we had seen a smaller green demon thrash Goku. Even when he's old, he's way more threatening than any enemy Goku had faced yet. You can tell just by looking at his face.

As for Cell, if a bipedal insectoid guy with claws, fangs, and a giant stinger-tail doesn't look threatening, then I'm not sure what your qualifications are.
Saiga wrote:Nah, I definitely think Semi-Perfect Cell looks stronger than his Perfect form, when he isn't making stupid faces. Unfortunately that happens a lot because Toriyama immediately started making him look like a bitch after he beat 16.
Fair enough, to each his own. Personally, I think the leaner, more "efficient" looking forms look tougher, but that's just me. Semi-Perfect Cell doesn't look strong to me; he looks slow. I feel the same way when comparing SSJ Grade 2 to Grade 3, and Buff Buu to Super Buu.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Other Possible Gods of Destruction

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:41 pm

My point is that in Dragon Ball, the strongest characters usually don't look very strong at first, and the strong looking characters are usually weak. Toriyama said so himself, so there's really no point in arguing :P
That's not what you said. You literally said "all main villains started out looking weak". Which is wrong, Cell and King Piccolo looked quite strong. Also, Toriyama can be wrong. Half of the strong characters in Z actually look strong. Super Buu was the tallest and most muscular form of Buu, and also the strongest. Freeza's final transformation dropped the slim and non-threatening look of his previous form and just looked like he was on a 'roid rage. Freeza's second and third forms are each more imposing than his first. Cell in all forms was much more intimidating than anyone else, and he is at his strongest in his most fit looking form. Et cetera.
Nappa did what, look strong and threatening? Yes, he did, and Toriyama agrees. :P
So Nappa looked like he outmatched Goku more than Piccolo looked like he outmatched Goku? Nappa was nearly two heads taller than Goku, yes, but Goku was so small in comparison to Piccolo that Piccolo's hand was bigger than Goku's torso.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Post Reply