What are the chances for a new series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What are the chances for a new series?

Post by GsTvo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 pm

penguintruth wrote:A series of movies, perhaps.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a new TV series, unless Toriyama had a significant role, and even then I'd bristle somewhat. DB doesn't need all this continuation. The manga was 42 volumes. The story was overextended as it was by the end of the Buu arc.
Yes, why a new series? You want a new GT? with so bad animation and stupid transformations (Yes, like SSJ God)?

BOG was good (in argument), for me the best Dragon Ball's movie after Wrath of the Dragon (most of all because the excelent animation), and I dont have a problem with maybe two more movies, but a whole new series? What would be the surprise? A transformation more powerfull than SSJ God but weaker than SSJ4 (maybe with green hair this time)? See how Vegeta's mustache grows?

Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Ball but I tired of waiting for something really good, and then things like "Episode of Bardock" shows up.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:10 pm

GsTvo wrote:Yes, why a new series? You want a new GT? with so bad animation
Not to get massively off topic but I strongly disagree. One of GT's highlights was its animation, I felt. It may not have had the same choreography that Z had but damn, it was at least consistently well drawn.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

TheAldella wrote: You're kidding me, right? Kai has done fine over here. I can name atleast 8 kids in my neighborhood who've watched it on NickToons or CW that weren't into it on Toonami. My uncle even checks it out on Saturdays.
Kai did okay. I'm not saying it bombed in the US because I seen a few kids in my local area that watch it too. Kai didn't make DBZ as popular as it was when it was on Toonami from 1998 - 2003. If you look at the recent Power Rangers shows, Power Rangers has been successful and more mainstream then it was when Disney had the rights to it several years. Same goes with the new TMNT show which has been popular lately and I see a lot of merchandise for it.

Kai was nothing new, so I think something new and different could make DBZ big again. Not as big as it was during the late 90's and early 2000's, but popular enough to make the show more relevant. Besides CW is not even the most popular kids channel. CW is one of the reasons why no one watched Dragon Knight a few years back.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:43 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
GsTvo wrote:Yes, why a new series? You want a new GT? with so bad animation
Not to get massively off topic but I strongly disagree. One of GT's highlights was its animation, I felt. It may not have had the same choreography that Z had but damn, it was at least consistently well drawn.
You right, I was talking about the animation we've seen in the last Dragon Ball products (BOG, Episode of Bardock...), sorry I was not clear, the GT animation It is very outstanding.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:You're never going to get an entire TV series with animation that looks like the Dragon Ball Kai Openings. Those four key animators would need decades to be able to pull that off. Most of them would die before they finished. A series on the level of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist would be nice, but good luck convincing Toei to shell out for the necessary number of drawings and properly scheduling that would entice talented directors and animators to work on such a series.
I... what? When did people decide Kai's intros were animated well? (I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible on the shonen animation scale, but it certainly isn't amazing to the degree you describe.)
I was replying to Ajay's above comment about wanting a series ala the Kai Openings. Perhaps I misunderstood in my cold-afflicted state. I then went on to explain that due to only four key animators having worked on those Openings it would be essentially impossible to do an entire series that matched those Openings.

A Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist-esque series would be nice to have. Such a thing would be very unlikely, but at least that would put its battle scenes above those in the Dragon Ball Kai Openings.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Episode of Bardock sucks because Naho Ooishi is a terrible writer. People forget that the manga of EOB came out first and the manga of EOB is just as bad as the animated OVA. GT suck because they got the crew behind the Garlic Jr. Saga to help on the show.
She/Her

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

To be fair, she may not have been able to do whatever she wanted anyway. The Cell Arc omake seems like she could be a decent writer to me, she at least has some creativity flowing, but her editor(s) still has her doing even lamer retellings in DBSD now. Ones that don't even seem to have jokes...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:GT suck because they got the crew behind the Garlic Jr. Saga to help on the show.
Sumisawa Katsuyuki did not write a single episode of Dragon Ball GT. Matsui Aya wrote episode #117 and was credited for Series Organization for Dragon Ball GT.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
B wrote: Toei would probably pull a Fullmetal Alchemist '09/Sailor Moon 20th/HunterxHunter '11/JoJo's Bizarre Avdventure '12 for Dragon Ball somewhere down the line when enough time has passed and/or the current cast is no longer with us. Not anytime soon.
Except the anime doesn't really deviate from the manga that much; while stuff like FMA 2003 did.
This is another reason why, if it is destined to happen, it will not happen for a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long time. I am talking "Dragon Ball's 50th anniversary" long time. (It's also why I'm never expecting BLEACH to get a full remake from Pierrot. That has less chances than DB)

Basically, the anime as it exists now would have to become completely and utterly dated, as opposed to its current status of "sort of dated."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:58 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:DBZ: Battle of Gods massively expanded the Dragon World, and even gave new power-ups to Goku & Vegeta, and we have hints from Chozenshuu #1 & Toriyama himself that more stuff are coming after BoG, with Chozenshuu #2 hinting that this new stuff will be in anime form. Based on Dragon Ball's current status (the failures of DBGT, DBKai, and the recent video games, but also the success of DBHeroes & BoG), what are the chances to get a whole new series that continues the adventures of Goku & co. after Battle of Gods?
I'd say extremely low. I think we'll rather see a DB Heroes anime.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Blade wrote: Personally, I kind of find Toriyama's recent comments regarding the type of stories he wants to write from now on rather disturbing when I consider the consequences that may have upon the Dragonball Franchise. He claims that he's only interested in trying to write light and uncomplicated plots of no consequence, that an observer can sit through as a form of empty escapism from any real world troubles - which in effect means avoiding adding any form of emotional content. I personally feel that Dragonball is at it's best in its darkest moments, and that Toriyama's adeptness at effortlessly traversing between sinister and comedic content is his greatest writing asset. I'm not sure I'd want a new Dragonball series that intentionally shuns these elements. Revisiting an old work can be a hazardous thing to do, just look at what Lucas did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Maybe it's best that Toriyama left it alone?
I agree. If stuff like Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return and Battle of Gods is all we're going to get out of him, then I'd actually rather he let it rest. The new stuff that he's been involved in has actually been much lighter than even the lightest arcs in the original series, and the tone just makes the whole thing feel like it's exclusively aimed at 0-3 year-olds. To me, the new stuff really isn't that much like Dragon Ball. It isn't even really like the Pilaf, RRA or Buu arcs.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:12 pm

GT sucked therefore we should never want a new series because it is guaranteed to suck. right guys.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Blade wrote:
For me, though, the biggest question has to be: should there be another Dragonball series? I mean, let's think about this - the staff writers at Toei gave us GT, which wasn't particularly great - would we really want something like that again? And even if Toriyama was the man penning the scripts, he has forgotten so much about the franchise that any new material would most likely just cause outcry and controversy amongst the fanbase when it conflicts with wholesale parts of the established Dragonball Universe. I mean, just look at Battle of Gods - the internet reaction within Western fans has mostly been embroiled in debates over continuity errors caused by the (often innocuous details within the) plot.

Personally, I kind of find Toriyama's recent comments regarding the type of stories he wants to write from now on rather disturbing when I consider the consequences that may have upon the Dragonball Franchise. He claims that he's only interested in trying to write light and uncomplicated plots of no consequence, that an observer can sit through as a form of empty escapism from any real world troubles - which in effect means avoiding adding any form of emotional content. I personally feel that Dragonball is at it's best in its darkest moments, and that Toriyama's adeptness at effortlessly traversing between sinister and comedic content is his greatest writing asset. I'm not sure I'd want a new Dragonball series that intentionally shuns these elements. Revisiting an old work can be a hazardous thing to do, just look at what Lucas did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Maybe it's best that Toriyama left it alone?
Well, shit, I rather either say leave the franchise alone or give Toei another shot, and I'm slightly leaning more on option #2, cuz I wanna see the DB live on for a long time. So DB Heroes is my answer. Even though I wouldn't mind uncomplicated stories, Toriyama lacked one thing in BoG and that was the "dark feel" of DBZ. If anything, he should've just agreed with the screenwritier's ideas(Bills controlling people and adding that plot twist stating that he's the TRUE antagonist of the Saiyan to Frieza saga by making the Saiyans ruthless, but can still have the cat look).

I may have enjoyed BoG, but I agree with this post.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Kai did okay. I'm not saying it bombed in the US because I seen a few kids in my local area that watch it too. Kai didn't make DBZ as popular as it was when it was on Toonami from 1998 - 2003. If you look at the recent Power Rangers shows, Power Rangers has been successful and more mainstream then it was when Disney had the rights to it several years. Same goes with the new TMNT show which has been popular lately and I see a lot of merchandise for it.
Hmm.. IDK. Kai having the best ratings on Nicktoons and becoming the "linchpin" there did more than okay to me.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 am

I really hope to see a new db series. I hope we will see it before judgment day. But I think there would be only chance for new movie that sequel of BoG.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:42 pm

I'd basically like to see Kai done right. If they could reanimate Dragon Ball from scratch, from the very beginning to the end of the Buu arc, maybe even with a few alterations here and there in order to make the plot flow better and make things seem more planned out, i.e. perhaps Dr. Gero could be alluded to or even seen in the Red Ribbon Army Arc, then I would be fine with Dragon Ball never being touched ever again, aside from maybe one or two short specials here and there if they feel like it.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:24 pm

I don't see the point on remaking the series since we already have Kai. Maybe in the future, we could have a remake with better animation but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
She/Her

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't see the point on remaking the series since we already have Kai. Maybe in the future, we could have a remake with better animation but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Yeah, I agree that if it were to happen, it wouldn't be for a while. I just felt like they missed a trick with Kai in terms of remaking the series. If you look at other remakes such as Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Hellsing, and the upcoming Sailor Moon series, all of them were animated from scratch. Granted, in the case of things like Fullmetal Alchemist that was because the plot deviated too far for it to be salvageable in terms of turning it into a manga adaption, but if you look at a series like Hunter x Hunter, Madhouse could've just decided to pick up where Nippon Animation left off, and just animated the Chimera Ant arc, but instead they started from the beginning. It just seems a shame to me that Toei decided against giving such a popular and widely-celebrated series a proper remake, but rather giving it, from a visual stand-point at least, something that could almost have been done just using a simple video editing program. I'm not sure if we've ever been given a reason as to why Kai didn't do well in Japan, but I personally feel it would've done better if it was new animation.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Fizzer wrote:I agree. If stuff like Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return and Battle of Gods is all we're going to get out of him, then I'd actually rather he let it rest. The new stuff that he's been involved in has actually been much lighter than even the lightest arcs in the original series, and the tone just makes the whole thing feel like it's exclusively aimed at 0-3 year-olds. To me, the new stuff really isn't that much like Dragon Ball. It isn't even really like the Pilaf, RRA or Buu arcs.
Exactly, and moreover - now that the 'isn't it nice that everyone's back together again after such a long time, now let's have a nice airy little caper' card has been played twice, both with the JSAT special and BoG, where else could Toriyama possibly take the story whilst wanting to only write material of little or no consequence? I just don't see the point in continually dipping back into the franchise to just create one off adventures that don't really aim to do anything other than provide a light thrill to a nostalgic audience.
EXBadguy wrote: Well, shit, I rather either say leave the franchise alone or give Toei another shot, and I'm slightly leaning more on option #2, cuz I wanna see the DB live on for a long time. So DB Heroes is my answer.
It's interesting you say that, given that I think one of the most remarkable things about Dragonball is how it has lived on so long, and continues to do so, by largely trading on the same old content. Sure, we've had a bunch of console games over the past 10 - 15 years, but have they really broke any new ground? They've all just revolved around the Anime storyline and regurgitated it in various ways, shapes and forms. Dragonball has become one of the most re-salable products in Toei and Shueisha's archives, it's just too bad that they know this and that it led to Dragonball Kai and the Full-Colour Manga, another set of regurgitations, instead of anything new.

As for Dragonball Heroes, I think you'll get your wish sooner rather than later.
EXBadguy wrote:Even though I wouldn't mind uncomplicated stories, Toriyama lacked one thing in BoG and that was the "dark feel" of DBZ. If anything, he should've just agreed with the screenwritier's ideas(Bills controlling people and adding that plot twist stating that he's the TRUE antagonist of the Saiyan to Freeza saga by making the Saiyans ruthless, but can still have the cat look).
Yes, I think that I've always enjoyed how Dragonball can take you to the darkest places but still end on a high, with plenty of gags included in between that never seem out of place or at odds with the subject matter - no matter how bleak it can seem. I think the journey into the depths of despair and subsequent turn around provides a real emotional pay off, and it's always been something that Toriyama has done very well, whereas in big Hollywood Superhero films in particular it can seem overly manufactured and forced. It's definitely a well-worn clique, but it's Dragonball all the same.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:59 pm

EXBadguy wrote: I mean, just look at Battle of Gods - the internet reaction within Western fans has mostly been embroiled in debates over continuity errors caused by the (often innocuous details within the) plot.
Yes I've seen a lot of controversy among divided Western fans over it, I'm guilty of it too. Unfortuntely because Akira doesnt remember a thing about the mithos he already establish forgivably he just cant seem to review the scripts and fact-check it. Thus why I any many other fans couldn't enjy BoG because of the contradictions and out-of-character moments noted throughout the earlier parts of the movie... I don't think a new series would work in the best intrests of the franchise unless a devoted fan with someone of our referencial citings would really expand it. I'm more worried about the growing instants of plot contradictions than actual story itself. GT wasn't that bad for me. Though if Akira has forgotten as much as he did then we may get more inconsistancies.

The only thing I'd like to see is maybe a new series with either new characters, (Heroes) or a mini series that would introduce new powers for the humans and piccolo to katch up to SSJ3 tier strength. That gap is what they need to fix... basically overall to introduce new powers for the nonsayians in general.
NessMudkip wrote:I'd basically like to see Kai done right. If they could reanimate Dragon Ball from scratch, from the very beginning to the end of the Buu arc, maybe even with a few alterations here and there in order to make the plot flow better and make things seem more planned out, i.e. perhaps Dr. Gero could be alluded to or even seen in the Red Ribbon Army Arc, then I would be fine with Dragon Ball never being touched ever again, aside from maybe one or two short specials here and there if they feel like it.
Yes, I wish they would renanimate the entire series, there are certain things in the original that just bug me... like SSJ2 Gohan's cowlick hair... in his debut..... or the physical portion of the fight with Goku vs Majin Vegeta being very underwhelming...in comparison to Goku vs Cell/Freeza and Raditz...Theres a lot they could have improved.

However the draw back is the animation they use... the current style they draw DBZ with looks ugly.... I miss the look of Fusion Reborn and The Kid Buu fight. Where it not as clean, its fuzzy with thicker outlines, it has a lot of 'grit' to it. There is slightly more value/with darker colours, more tones with deeper shading like during the middleish DBZ movies to the end ones. Though that topic was made somewhere else.
EXBadguy wrote:Personally, I kind of find Toriyama's recent comments regarding the type of stories he wants to write from now on rather disturbing when I consider the consequences that may have upon the Dragonball Franchise. He claims that he's only interested in trying to write light and uncomplicated plots of no consequence, that an observer can sit through as a form of empty escapism from any real world troubles - which in effect means avoiding adding any form of emotional content. I personally feel that Dragonball is at it's best in its darkest moments, and that Toriyama's adeptness at effortlessly traversing between sinister and comedic content is his greatest writing asset. I'm not sure I'd want a new Dragonball series that intentionally shuns these elements. Revisiting an old work can be a hazardous thing to do, just look at what Lucas did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Maybe it's best that Toriyama left it alone?
Exactly. Thats exactly my thoughts. Its why the older movies were so good, when Akira didnt write them himself entirely, its why Bardock was such an amazing character plotwise. I remember Akira himself saying that he didn't expect Bardock to be the character he was because his story isnt anything Akira ever writes about, war, honour, revenge, militant betrayals, and yet those elements added the most depth to the franchise.... it's also the thing that disappointed me with BoG, the campiness was taking way too much of the movie's taste for me. Granted it was for dragonball fans but it wasnt marketed as a "reuinion" flick like Yo-Son Goku was. It was intended to be taken serious as Beers/Bills was predeemed to be the strongest character Goku ever fought and yet it presented the lamest battle of the franchise for me. At least in comparison of the older movies it just doesn't have that edgy post-apocalyptic-like struggle they had when the villains were actually destroying the landscape...(Tree of Might / Slug / Harudigarn / Broly 1).

Thats the problem, I don't watch DBZ for campy goofy humour, I watch it for intense action and godstopping beatdowns.The darker brutal feel of DBZ is what made it the top action anime of all time. It also did more to emphasize the actual threat of the plot devices. These characters destroy planets and endorse genocide at sheer sport, I don't see how campiness outside of Goku's husband life would really fit the direction DBZ's movies used to take before Yo-Son Goku.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't see the point on remaking the series since we already have Kai.
You mean we have a cheap edit of DBZ with new audio? And that because of it there's no need for an actual, real and well-made remake of Dragon Ball? Hmm, can't agree with you there.