What are the chances for a new series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

What are the chances for a new series?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:13 pm

DBZ: Battle of Gods massively expanded the Dragon World, and even gave new power-ups to Goku & Vegeta, and we have hints from Chozenshuu #1 & Toriyama himself that more stuff are coming after BoG, with Chozenshuu #2 hinting that this new stuff will be in anime form. Based on Dragon Ball's current status (the failures of DBGT, DBKai, and the recent video games, but also the success of DBHeroes & BoG), what are the chances to get a whole new series that continues the adventures of Goku & co. after Battle of Gods?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: What are the chances for a new series?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I think BOG has a good chance on getting a movie trilogy or a mini series. I think Heroes has a better chance on getting it's own TV show since there's a lot of things that can be done. Heroes is already a big cash cow for Bandai and Bandai is Toei's primary sponsor these day. It would be nice to have AT work on a new series, but I don't think he will have the time to work on a weekly show. It would be easier for him to do another movie and I think a BOG sequel will likely be out by March 2015.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 pm

A series of movies, perhaps.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a new TV series, unless Toriyama had a significant role, and even then I'd bristle somewhat. DB doesn't need all this continuation. The manga was 42 volumes. The story was overextended as it was by the end of the Buu arc.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm

penguintruth wrote:A series of movies, perhaps.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a new TV series, unless Toriyama had a significant role, and even then I'd bristle somewhat. DB doesn't need all this continuation. The manga was 42 volumes. The story was overextended as it was by the end of the Buu arc.
I wholeheartedly agree. A movie every so often is a nice bonus, but the series is already very long.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 pm

I think a Heroes show could be fun depending who writes and directs it. I don't view Heroes as apart of the main DB universe and it can be view as a fun spin off.
She/Her

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Despite how I really like BOG, I don't have much confidence in Toei having enough motivation of their own to create a new series. I am aware that Toriko is doing horribly for them despite their massive push for it to be the next big Toei shounen anime, but even if they do cancel Toriko, I feel like what'll end up taking its time slot will be the new Sailor Moon reboot that's supposed to premiere this July. Honestly, I'm surprised Toei's going to do Sailor Moon and Precure simultaneously (I thought Sailor Moon would replace Precure and take its time slot); a lot of their higher-quality animators end up working on Precure so I don't know if that means Sailor Moon's animation will suffer like One Piece's does or if the talent gets spread around more evenly or what.

That said I do hold slivers of hope that we get a sequel to BOG, or at least another movie at some point in the future (I want to see more ssjg Goku X3 ).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Would a Sunday morning time slot work for a new DB series?
She/Her

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm

It all depends on how they take it. Personally, id rather see GT be remade so it cuts out the inconsistencies, plotholes, and other errors.

Other than that, a series picking up on after GT with Goku and Vegeta Jr. would probably the idea move as it leaves a lot to work with. Besides what I said, I think a few more "Path to Power" specials would be cool, summing up major arcs of DBZ into movies with the updated animation and stuff. Would be great to see Goku take on Freeza and Cell like he does in the DB Kai openings.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Kai is still too fresh in everyone's minds. The only things for the forseeable future I can see happening:
  • Another original film
  • Re-telling/compilation films of the various Dragon Ball arcs
  • More specials/OVAs/short stories/non-full series commitments
Toei would probably pull a Fullmetal Alchemist '09/Sailor Moon 20th/HunterxHunter '11/JoJo's Bizarre Avdventure '12 for Dragon Ball somewhere down the line when enough time has passed and/or the current cast is no longer with us. Not anytime soon.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:19 pm

B wrote:Toei would probably pull a Fullmetal Alchemist '09/Sailor Moon 20th/HunterxHunter '11/JoJo's Bizarre Avdventure '12 for Dragon Ball somewhere down the line when enough time has passed and/or the current cast is no longer with us. Not anytime soon.
I don't think I'd even mind this, honestly. It'd be quite nice to have something that is consistently high quality from start to finish animation-wise.

I find the animation quality differences so jarring when watching the series through. Having a show that is essentially Kai redone with their opening animations' level of quality would be nice. Totally unnecessary, of course, but it'd be nice to have all the same.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 pm

You're never going to get an entire TV series with animation that looks like the Dragon Ball Kai Openings. Those four key animators would need decades to be able to pull that off. Most of them would die before they finished. A series on the level of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist would be nice, but good luck convincing Toei to shell out for the necessary number of drawings and properly scheduling that would entice talented directors and animators to work on such a series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 pm

I also think Heroes can be popular in the US as well and they can make a game similar to Skylanders for it to work. I know TCG are still popular with kids since I still see kids playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards. I still see TV ads for Yu-Gi-Oh cards for the past five or six years now when I'm flipping through the TV channels. I also know that the Power Rangers card game has done pretty well with kids too.

Kai and DBE failed to make DBZ mainstream again in the US, so I think Heroes could pull it off.
She/Her

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:17 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I also think Heroes can be popular in the US as well and they can make a game similar to Skylanders for it to work. I know TCG are still popular with kids since I still see kids playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards. I still see TV ads for Yu-Gi-Oh cards for the past five or six years now when I'm flipping through the TV channels. I also know that the Power Rangers card game has done pretty well with kids too.

Kai and DBE failed to make DBZ mainstream again in the US, so I think Heroes could pull it off.
You're kidding me, right? Kai has done fine over here. I can name atleast 8 kids in my neighborhood who've watched it on NickToons or CW that weren't into it on Toonami. My uncle even checks it out on Saturdays.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 am

JulieYBM wrote:You're never going to get an entire TV series with animation that looks like the Dragon Ball Kai Openings. Those four key animators would need decades to be able to pull that off. Most of them would die before they finished. A series on the level of Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist would be nice, but good luck convincing Toei to shell out for the necessary number of drawings and properly scheduling that would entice talented directors and animators to work on such a series.
I... what? When did people decide Kai's intros were animated well? (I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible on the shonen animation scale, but it certainly isn't amazing to the degree you describe.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:45 am

I'm surprised we don't have a new, ongoing series at this point. Is there any reason why Dragon Ball shouldn't have the longevity of something like Spider-Man or Batman, at least in Japan?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 am

B wrote: Toei would probably pull a Fullmetal Alchemist '09/Sailor Moon 20th/HunterxHunter '11/JoJo's Bizarre Avdventure '12 for Dragon Ball somewhere down the line when enough time has passed and/or the current cast is no longer with us. Not anytime soon.
Except the anime doesn't really deviate from the manga that much; while stuff like FMA 2003 did.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:28 am

I think if TOEI can make considerably more money by creating all new Dragon Ball content, as opposed to just milking what's already been produced (Kai), then they will do it, and I think the success of Battle of Gods shows that there is considerably more money to be made from new content. Kai didn't do too well for them.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 am

penguintruth wrote:A series of movies, perhaps.

This for me as well.

Dragonball has been stretched and overextended to near breaking point.

I'd like maybe a trilogy of movies or teratology. I've posted it before but I'll state it again I think they should do these movies but they should still end up with Goku flying off with Oob- but perhaps we'll see it in a new context.

I wouldn't mind other authors doing their own crack of Dragonball stories.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 am

The chances of a new anime series as things stand? Zero - without Toriyama's involvement, that is. And I don't see him committing himself to something like that, a one off or one-time thing is possible, but the man is seriously adverse to anything that will require a lengthy commitment on his part, and a new TV anime would certainly constitute as that.

Toei know the added value of selling an Anime that comes with the name of the original author of the work. With the last two One Piece movies and Battle of Gods they were able to smash the box office three times out of three with theatrical adaptations that come with the Original Author's blessing. They know it sells - and they also know that stuff written outside of the 'official continuity' by other writers is often passed on or less well regarded by the fans, the result of this on the One Piece anime has been the reduction of 'filler' to an occasional rarity.

For me, though, the biggest question has to be: should there be another Dragonball series? I mean, let's think about this - the staff writers at Toei gave us GT, which wasn't particularly great - would we really want something like that again? And even if Toriyama was the man penning the scripts, he has forgotten so much about the franchise that any new material would most likely just cause outcry and controversy amongst the fanbase when it conflicts with wholesale parts of the established Dragonball Universe. I mean, just look at Battle of Gods - the internet reaction within Western fans has mostly been embroiled in debates over continuity errors caused by the (often innocuous details within the) plot.

Personally, I kind of find Toriyama's recent comments regarding the type of stories he wants to write from now on rather disturbing when I consider the consequences that may have upon the Dragonball Franchise. He claims that he's only interested in trying to write light and uncomplicated plots of no consequence, that an observer can sit through as a form of empty escapism from any real world troubles - which in effect means avoiding adding any form of emotional content. I personally feel that Dragonball is at it's best in its darkest moments, and that Toriyama's adeptness at effortlessly traversing between sinister and comedic content is his greatest writing asset. I'm not sure I'd want a new Dragonball series that intentionally shuns these elements. Revisiting an old work can be a hazardous thing to do, just look at what Lucas did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Maybe it's best that Toriyama left it alone?

I'd put money on there being a Dragonball Heroes anime at some point, though. Given both the popularity of the game and the recent trend of shamelessly creating series' purely to sell a real world product (Gundam Build Fighters, Marvel Disc Wars: The Avengers, ZX Ignition) I'd say it's probably going to happen within the next year. If not a full series, then there will definitely be some sort of extended animation or sequence of shorts.

Given Battle of God's success we will get another film, it's just a case of when.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:15 am

I am definitely sure and i would like movies.But if they are going to include other 11 Gods,series would be right way.