People who love most of the franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

People who love most of the franchise

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Is there anyone out there who can say that they love almost every dragon ball arc (excluding GT)? Nothing against GT I just don't fuck with it.

Me personally? I love all 444 episodes. Although some arcs can be REALLY tough to get through... RRA/Garlic Junior.... I still love them they just don't appeal to me mostly because I am not a fan of the enemy i guess. That and Gohan and Piccolo can't carry the story IMO. So if you love most of it let me know why... Hate most of it? Again, explain yourself. And if it's all dicey for you and some you love some you hate, EXPLAIN WHY! :D

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: People who love most of the franchise

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:16 pm

I wouldn't say I 'loved' most of the franchise but I did enjoy most of it as a whole, including GT.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:16 pm

I enjoy all of them, although I can only call first-half Dragon Ball's arcs good. Second-half is pretty terrible.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:18 pm

I do love everything from the first episode to the very last. The more the better for me.

It's the only franchise that I am actively invested in since a little more than a decade now.

That's why I'm here.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:18 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:I enjoy all of them, although I can only call first-half Dragon Ball's arcs good. Second-half is pretty terrible.
Where do you normally draw the line as far as where the first half ends and the second begins? And what do you like about the first half and dislike about the second?

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:20 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:I do love everything from the first episode to the very last. The more the better for me.

It's the only franchise that I am actively invested in since a little more than a decade now.

That's why I'm here.
Same here man. Crazy how that happens isn't it? The only other form of media that I can say I have loved that long or longer is probably Led Zeppelin haha.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Gutsxgoku wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:I enjoy all of them, although I can only call first-half Dragon Ball's arcs good. Second-half is pretty terrible.
Where do you normally draw the line as far as where the first half ends and the second begins? And what do you like about the first half and dislike about the second?
It's all called Dragon Ball in the original manga.
First half = Everything before Raditz
Second half = Everything after Raditz

Dragon Ball just did everything right, while Dragon Ball Z just did everything wrong.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:22 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Gutsxgoku wrote:
It's all called Dragon Ball in the original manga.
First half = All of Dragon Ball, not Dragon Ball Z
Second half = DBZ

Dragon Ball just did everything right, while Dragon Ball Z just did everything wrong.
What do you consider right about Dragon ball? Wrong with Z?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Gutsxgoku wrote:What do you consider right about Dragon ball? Wrong with Z?
Dragon Ball did the characters, story, pacing, and adventure beautifully. Everyone was relevant, the plots were more than just "Bad guy shows up, let's train and defeat him", and the fights all felt unique and special.

Dragon Ball Z shits on most of the characters from DB, while at the same time doing a piss-poor job writing the characters that it does want to focus on (Gohan is the worst written character in all of Dragon Ball). The plots were repetitive, there were plot holes everywhere, the fights had no variety, and it was just overall a mess. An enjoyable mess, but still a mess.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:31 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Dragon Ball did the characters, story, pacing, and adventure beautifully. Everyone was relevant, the plots were more than just "Bad guy shows up, let's train and defeat him", and the fights all felt unique and special.

Dragon Ball Z shits on most of the characters from DB, while at the same time doing a piss-poor job writing the characters that it does want to focus on (Gohan is the worst written character in all of Dragon Ball). The plots were repetitive, there were plot holes everywhere, the fights had no variety, and it was just overall a mess. An enjoyable mess, but still a mess.
Why do you think Gohan is the worst written character?

MysticVegeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MysticVegeta » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

I love Dragon Ball, Z and GT.

Even if Freeza did have a granny voice and a group of powerful clowns :D
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Yes, the same MysticVegeta from DBZF is here on Kanzenshuu!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:10 pm

I enjoy most of the franchise. I always view myself as a fan of the manga over the anime, but I do enjoy most of the DBZ movies and Kai. I find normal DBZ unwatchable due to the slow placing and the bad filler. I only somewhat enjoy the Shadow Dragon arc and Bebi in GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:17 pm

I love every arc of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT, in anime form, manga form, Kai form, Japanese language, English dub. It's all good. I'm not that bothered about most of the movies, as they don't really have stories, and I haven't played many of the games, but I enjoy the many forms of everything that can be considered the "main series", including specials and stuff. Yeah, there are flaws, I wish the god-awful pacing issues weren't there, I wish we got to see more of the characters' personal lives and relationships and whatnot, basically different versions of the story are all better at different things, but I really enjoy all of it.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Gutsxgoku wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:

Why do you think Gohan is the worst written character?
He was written averagely in the Saiyan-Freeza sagas, but with the Cell saga, he had random pacifism, took the spotlight near the end despite never doing anything of importance in the Cell saga previously, and couldn't even kill the main villain without his daddy holding his hand.

With the Buu saga, his entire reason for his existence was shat upon. Toriyama hyped up Gohan to be the new hero, and then goes and makes Goku the hero again.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:32 pm

I love all of dragon ball

I loved z but after watching kai there is no way i could go through z again

GT is... :yawn: :sick: :thumbdown:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I love the series! There's part's I don't like, such as in the Cell Saga. I didn't like how Freeza came back, because it lessened how powerful the scene was with Goku constantly trying to give Freeza an out to redeem himself, and then finally have to kill him. I also really didn't like how the scientist was able to create something artificial that could compete with the Saiyan's or Freeza's Power. I really didn't like the pervert humor, especially in Dragonball. Goku did a few "pat pats" too many and his fascination of "wieners and balls" lost it's charm quick. I also didn't like how Goku was written in the second half of the Boo Saga, calling his sons "less handsome than him", and suggesting to bring the Kai dirty pictures of his son's girlfriend and letting him grope Bulma's breasts and butt, and then insulting his wife's looks. The Boo saga is my favorite and Goku is my favorite fictional character, but I really hated that kind of stuff. There's a lot more negatives, but as I said, I love it, so I'm going to now focus on that!

I love the characters and growing with them. I loved how they each had flaws and how they developed over the sagas. The characters that were already fully developed are interesting for the impact they had on others. Final Atonement might be my favorite moment of television. Although I think the Breaking Bad episode "Ozymandias" is the greatest piece of drama on screen, it didn't send the endorphin rush that I get when I think of Vegeta's sacrafice. The art and imagination is incredible! The whole series inspired me to be more hopeful, strive to be more positive, and to take joy in improving myself. That last part is very important to me, because I'm extremely hard on myself and have had a low self esteem and lots of anxiety because of it. I still do, but Dragonball is helping me to change! I just watched the series for the first time last year, and it really changed my perception on life. I've dealt with a lot of trauma because of medical related issues and bullied my whole life. However, watching Goku give Freeza so many chances, helped me realize how life is so precious. Seeing such a despicable person like Vegeta, become a hero, helped me get over my bitterness over the people who've hurt me over the years, and gave me hope for them to change. I've been a superhero fan my whole life, and a Batman fan basically from the womb, and used them for inspiration, but the Dragonball Z characters felt so real to me, being that they're just people going through life and that helped me even more. I have a lot of health problems, but seeing the way Goku as a kid handled his hardships which such optimism and joy, it helps me to deal with my illness much more. Heck, it doesn't even seem like a obstacle to him, just another challenge to improve himself. The Korin Tower episodes made me proud of all the hard work I've done over the years. I may not have something physical to prove it, but all those challenges made me a much stronger person. Whenever I feel too weak to do something, I think of Goku explaining the different Super Saiyan forms and go "beyond".

The positives sure out way the negatives!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:40 pm

I would say that I do, but I haven't sat down and tried to swallow large amounts of the Z anime in a long time, and I've just never watched Dragon Ball (gots the manga). I love the music and vocal performances all throughout the show (JPN version), but the filler does wear on me a lot given that I'm so familiar with the manga first and foremost. I love all the movies in some way or another, even if I find Broli to be extremely boring as a villain / "character". I can't really say I like the new Bardock material particularly and I don't like the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans. Does that put me in the most camp?

Like the OP, totally willing to discard GT. Let's throw the English dub of Z into that as well. Doesn't even register to me as a part of the equation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Duo wrote: I can't really say I like the new Bardock material particularly. Does that put me in the most camp?
I think so
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm

I love most of the franchise.I didn't liked begining of DBZ because it turned out that Goku is saiyan and that was the reason he was so strong.

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:I love the series! There's part's I don't like, such as in the Cell Saga. I didn't like how Freeza came back, because it lessened how powerful the scene was with Goku constantly trying to give Freeza an out to redeem himself, and then finally have to kill him. I also really didn't like how the scientist was able to create something artificial that could compete with the Saiyan's or Freeza's Power. I really didn't like the pervert humor, especially in Dragonball. Goku did a few "pat pats" too many and his fascination of "wieners and balls" lost it's charm quick. I also didn't like how Goku was written in the second half of the Boo Saga, calling his sons "less handsome than him", and suggesting to bring the Kai dirty pictures of his son's girlfriend and letting him grope Bulma's breasts and butt, and then insulting his wife's looks. The Boo saga is my favorite and Goku is my favorite fictional character, but I really hated that kind of stuff. There's a lot more negatives, but as I said, I love it, so I'm going to now focus on that!

I love the characters and growing with them. I loved how they each had flaws and how they developed over the sagas. The characters that were already fully developed are interesting for the impact they had on others. Final Atonement might be my favorite moment of television. Although I think the Breaking Bad episode "Ozymandias" is the greatest piece of drama on screen, it didn't send the endorphin rush that I get when I think of Vegeta's sacrafice. The art and imagination is incredible! The whole series inspired me to be more hopeful, strive to be more positive, and to take joy in improving myself. That last part is very important to me, because I'm extremely hard on myself and have had a low self esteem and lots of anxiety because of it. I still do, but Dragonball is helping me to change! I just watched the series for the first time last year, and it really changed my perception on life. I've dealt with a lot of trauma because of medical related issues and bullied my whole life. However, watching Goku give Freeza so many chances, helped me realize how life is so precious. Seeing such a despicable person like Vegeta, become a hero, helped me get over my bitterness over the people who've hurt me over the years, and gave me hope for them to change. I've been a superhero fan my whole life, and a Batman fan basically from the womb, and used them for inspiration, but the Dragonball Z characters felt so real to me, being that they're just people going through life and that helped me even more. I have a lot of health problems, but seeing the way Goku as a kid handled his hardships which such optimism and joy, it helps me to deal with my illness much more. Heck, it doesn't even seem like a obstacle to him, just another challenge to improve himself. The Karin Tower episodes made me proud of all the hard work I've done over the years. I may not have something physical to prove it, but all those challenges made me a much stronger person. Whenever I feel too weak to do something, I think of Goku explaining the different Super Saiyan forms and go "beyond".

The positives sure out way the negatives!
Good on you man! I agree that Dragon Ball has definitely changed lives including mine! Hope everything goes well for you and I think if everyone just remembers that they have the power of the genki dama inside they can do anything! These all encompassing ideas are what really brings me closer to Toriyama's epic which, ironically causes me to think about the series in a myriad of ways. It's ironic becuase Toriyama encourages people to "turn their brains off" but I myself simply can not do that and still find the series engaging and always argue that there is value in this series other than strict entertainment. You can learn something from almost anything... Plus if you shit on Dragon Ball stories you may as well shit on Superman because more than half the Superman stories are practically the same.