Does anyone else dislike Zenkai Power?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Does anyone else dislike Zenkai Power?

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 am

I love it and sing along every time I watch DBZ.

It's really cheesy, but it's very catchy and cute. It beats some of these tired, forced J-Pop endings we get today.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 am

Nah, I like this theme a lot, however if there's one Dragon Ball Ending that I dislike that'd be Kai's 2nd ED that just didn't fit well with the series (a remix of We Gotta Power instead would've been cool).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 am

I can't tolerate the intro whatsoever. I don't know what it is about it - the strange 'sprinkling sound' or that odd voice, I don't know. As soon as I'm past it, I quite like the song. It's sickeningly cutesy but damn, it's fun to sing to.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 am

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about the concept, not the song.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am

I always skip the ending when I can. I'm surprised there are a lot of people who actually love Zenkai Power. I know it's cutesy and everything but eh, I can never get into it.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

SpacePie8
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SpacePie8 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 am

I love it. I listen to the whole thing every time an episode ends. Although, and I'm almost 100% sure this is just me, I think it kinda sounds like something you'd hear in a asian strip joint...not that I've ever been in one. What I can't stand is the english audio end theme(on the remastered).
This is classic Tammy :wink:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't really care for it much to be honest. I don't hate it or anything, but it's probably my least favorite song that was actually used in the series, yeah. Well...I may like it a little more than Blue Travelers or whatever that one insert song was back in DB. But eh...can't say it's my cup of tea in the long run, no.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm not particularly fond of it, but it's NOWHERE near as bad as the closing theme used for the Artificial Human arc in Kai. My ears bled.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm

I didn't like it back in the day and I still don't!
It's just one of those song that you either love it or hate it.

I preferred Angel when it comes to ending themes.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I find the song really irritating, for some reason. I mean, it's not that I dislike cutesy songs in general (I don't really like it, but I prefer the cutesy AKB48 song over Zenkai Power). I don't think I minded it at first, but the more times I listened to it, the more I felt the need to skip it.

And what were they smoking when they wrote the lyrics? Coffee flavored zombies...cheese covered scorpions...the fuck?!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 pm

sailorspazz wrote:I find the song really irritating, for some reason. I mean, it's not that I dislike cutesy songs in general (I don't really like it, but I prefer the cutesy AKB48 song over Zenkai Power). I don't think I minded it at first, but the more times I listened to it, the more I felt the need to skip it.

And what were they smoking when they wrote the lyrics? Coffee flavored zombies...cheese covered scorpions...the fuck?!
Yeah, Japanese songs tend to sound really absurd when you try to translate them to English.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 pm

I think it's a case of it just being an absurd song. Lol. But I love it! More so than Cha-la Head-cha-la even. It's just so much fun to sing, and it holds more nostalgia for some reason. :)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Well....to be brutally honest....it is, hands-down, my least favorite ending song of all the Dragon Ball animes, and quite possibly my least favorite song in all the animes period, including the openings and insert songs. Yes, I know "Dragon Ball" is a silly show, but I believe the song and the animation that goes along with it are sillier than anything in the show itself, and I just don't find it enjoyable on a musical level at all.

To say that the day that they replaced it with "We Were Angels" was a happy day for me is an understatement. Although, I admit to being biased because that song is, hands-down, my favorite ending song of all the ending songs, and my no. 2 favorite song of all the songs in the Dragon Ball animes.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well....to be brutally honest....it is, hands-down, my least favorite ending song of all the Dragon Ball animes, and quite possibly my least favorite song in all the animes period, including the openings and insert songs. Yes, I know "Dragon Ball" is a silly show, but I believe the song and the animation that goes along with it are sillier than anything in the show itself, and I just don't find it enjoyable on a musical level at all.

To say that the day that they replaced it with "We Were Angels" was a happy day for me is an understatement. Although, I admit to being biased because that song is, hands-down, my favorite ending song of all the ending songs, and my no. 2 favorite song of all the songs in the Dragon Ball animes.
Just out of curiosity, what would number 1 be? Mine would either be We Gotta Power or the Dan Dan theme.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well....to be brutally honest....it is, hands-down, my least favorite ending song of all the Dragon Ball animes, and quite possibly my least favorite song in all the animes period, including the openings and insert songs. Yes, I know "Dragon Ball" is a silly show, but I believe the song and the animation that goes along with it are sillier than anything in the show itself, and I just don't find it enjoyable on a musical level at all.

Just out of curiosity, what would number 1 be? Mine would either be We Gotta Power or the Dan Dan theme.
Well--for me, anyway--no. 1 would be "Chala Head Chala." I felt that song struck a great balance between being silly (in the lyrics) and being energizing/exciting (as heard through the music).

Quite frankly, I haven't heard a Hironobu Kageyama song that I don't like. Every once in a (rare) while he's done a song that's "just OK," but that's the worst he's ever done as far as I'm concerned.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:03 am

I'm surprised so many people don't like this song. It's like, the cutest thing ever
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:33 am

I enjoy it. Love the bass line.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 pm

I've always liked it. The full version much more so. However, it's not my favorite of the endings; that belongs to "I’ll Give You Romance!" and "We Were Angels."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 am

I never really found ZP to be cutesy. To me it's always had a mysterious/mystical tone with it's lyrics giving it a bizarre vibe.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 am

I go through phases but the only reason I ever "dislike" it is because it means the episode is over.

I actually find myself humming that the most in the car when I'm sitting in traffic for some reason.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime: