5 best fights in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: 5 best fights in Dragon Ball

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm guessing the movie fights suck in comparison? I would've imagined for them to be high in comparison considering they're movies :roll: (If it isn't obvious, I haven't watched them except for movie 9)
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Going by the manga alone, my favorite fights (subject to change according to my mood):

1) Goku vs. Piccolo (23rd Tenkaichi Budokai) - Brutal, epic and interesting, great variation in techniques and nice dialogue between the two. I'd say that Piccolo was kind of the last real rival Goku had, as they were pretty much equal in this fight. Goku seems more to be Vegeta's rival than Vegeta is Goku's IMO.
2) Everyone vs. Vegeta and Nappa - An all out and intense battle where our heroes kick the bucket one after one. Much so, that you actually wondered if Gohan, Kuririn and Goku were to die as well during the battle. Also, a great showing of the differences between one Saiya-jin grown up on Earth and one grown up in planet Vegeta.
3) Piccolo vs. Android 17 - Piccolo's last hurrah, where the fighters kick each other's ass seriously. The array of techniques, most notably Piccolo's Gekiretsu Kodan, and the awesome Hellzone Grenade (Makūhōidan).
4) Cell vs. Android 16 - The whole concept of Dr. Gero's creations fighting each other is intriguing. Included in this is that both didn't know anything of each other prior to the fight. Although the ending is mediocre, the fight itself was awesome.
5) Yamcha vs. Shen - Sokidan, 'nuff said!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Well, I will just post everything :P

Dragon Ball
1) Goku vs Tenshinhan (23th Tenkaichi Budokai)
2) Goku vs Piccolo (both)
3) Goku vs Jackie Chun
4) Krillin vs Chaozu
5) Goku vs Krillin

Dragon Ball Z
1) SSJ Goku vs Freeza 100% Full Powa
2) Z Fighters vs Nappa and Vegeta
3) SSJ2 Goku Vs Majin vegeta
4) Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz
5) Goten vs Trunks.

Dragon Ball GT
1) Goku vs General Rildo
2) Goku vs Ledgic
3) SSJ4 Goku vs Baby Vegeta
4) Uub/Majuub vs Baby Vegeta
5) Vegeta vs Gohan and Goten

Movies/OVAS:
1) Goku vs Beerus (final round)
2) Gohan vs Bojack (and his minions)
3) Future Gohan vs A17 and A18 (final round)
4) Bardock vs Freeza Soldiers
5) Z Fighters vs Broly
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm

1. Goku vs Piccolo (Ma Junior) (23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai arc) - Brutal fight that uses physical attacks and ki manipulation in perfect harmony. It makes you really feel the exhilaration of Goku's victory at the end, not just winning the tournament, but saving the world at the same time. After two tournaments of losing at the end, Goku's win is a long awaited, hard fought one that puts a smile on my face every time I read or watch (in the anime's case). I'm glad the story didn't finish here, because some of my favorite plot material occurred much later (Saiyan arc, Cell arc), but if it had ended here, I probably would have been satisfied. Toriyama at the tip top of his game in depicting action.
2. Goku vs Vegeta (Saiyan arc) - Though eventually it becomes Goku, Gohan, Kuririn, and Yajirobe (with help from Kaio) vs Vegeta, most of the best parts of the fight is a head-on one-on-one between kung fu Huck Finn and Angry Russ Troll, with a power that shakes the planet, with great speed, some nasty hits, Goku pushing himself to his limits, and that great beam battle. And ultimately it takes four fighters to take Vegeta down! The guy just will not quit! You have to admire it.
3. Gohan vs Cell (Artificial Human/Cell arc) - Okay, so it's pretty one way or the other, but it's probably my favorite material in the entirety of DB, and I love to see Gohan when he really is "on" and I love the Kamehameha duel that ends it.
4. Goku vs Cell (Artificial Human/Cell arc) - I love the sheer speed and technique in this battle, even though there's not a lot of variety in fisticuffs. Clever use of Instantaneous Movement and Kamehameha. The animated version has some neat "camera" work. There's even a cool bit where Cell puts up a forcefield.
5. Gohan vs Super Buu (Buu arc) - Gohan, with his Kaioshin power up, fighting Buu, is excellent. I love him really tweaking Buu, getting on his nerves, mocking him, even though he ultimately drops the ball. For a while it really looks like Gohan is going to defeat the monster and I root like HFIL for him.

Honorable Mentions: Goku vs Freeza (some excellent fighting, and would have made the list if not the dragging length), Goku vs Tenshinhan (either one) (whenever Goku fights Tenshinhan, you get a great variety of technique use), Piccolo vs Artificial Human 17 (some great, quick, brutal hits, Makūhōidan, Piccolo actually getting a little attention), Vegeta vs Recoome (I love the bit where Recoome picks Vegeta out of the dirt like a ripe Vegeta-ble)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Emperor Pilaf Arc - Goku vs Oolong

Probably the most creative one here, love how Oolong kept transforming.

21st Budokai arc - Goku vs Jackie Chun

Great fight here, love Jackie Chun's creative way to beat down on Goku. Goku tried to pull the Shonen "transformation coming out of my ass" and Chun countered that by blowing up the moon, then Goku pulled "everything I got" kick and Chun still won.

Red Ribbon Arc - Yamcha vs The Invisible Man

One of the most hilarious fights in the series, love how creative Toriyama got here with Yamcha sensing the Invisible Man's locations and the boob gag.

22nd Budokai Arc - Kuririn Vs Chaotzu

Chaotzu psychic powers are pretty cool, but this is basically the only time we get to see him properly use them.

Piccolo Daimao Arc - Goku Vs Piccolo Daimao II

Probably the only fight here that isn't completely one-sided outside of Goku's inconclusive battle with Yajirobe.

23rd Budokai Arc - Yamcha Vs Shen

Love how Yamcha kept on failing and failing, and then he finally gets him with the Sodiken - only to be defeated right after.

Saiyan Arc - Earthlings Vs Vegeta

Best fight in the entire series. Love how its a back and forth fight where you can feel the fighters get weaker and weaker after every major attack.

Freeza Arc - Vegeta Vs Zarbon II

There's just so much adrenaline to this one. Everything from Vegeta escaping Freezas ship, to Zarbon chasing him, to the actual fight and Kuririn/Bulma being mixed in with their battle.

Cell Arc - Vegeta Vs Android 18

Always liked the battle choreography here, especially the street setting and how Vegeta just casually blows up a truck driver. :lol:

Buu Arc - Gotenks Vs Super Buu

Lots of fun gags here, although an honorable mention would be Majin Vegeta's tribute to Chaotzu when he dies earlier in this arc.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:31 am

1. Goku vs Freeza and Goku vs Piccolo Jr
2. Cell vs Goku
3. Vegeta and Gohan vs Rikum
4. Vegeta vs Goku(both rounds)
5. Goten vs Trunks, Goku vs Jackie Chun, Yamcha vs Shen, and Z fighters vs Hiruguan.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 am

5. SSJG Goku vs. Beerus
4. Goku vs. Freeza
3. Goku vs. Tao (both times)
2. Goku vs. Jackie Chun/Master Roshi
1. Goku vs. Vegeta (first one)
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147