Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 am

Patrick wrote:
crisis wrote:18 looks like her name could've been "Sarah" or something. She looks like a Sarah.

As for 17? ..... Jonathan.
I could agree for #18's name being Sarah, but I always thought #17 was an "Andrew".

It's almost a pun, and I think it fits anyway.
I could see "Sarah" for #18, but for #17, I feel like it would have to be John, Kyle, Arnold, or even Connor.

You know the reason.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

crisis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by crisis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am

16 would have to be Arnold, lol

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm

crisis wrote:16 would have to be Arnold, lol
16 an android not a cyborg. He don't get real names

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Bardack was probably drawn to the more reserved Gine as some sort of "male protection instinct", creating a special bond between them.
A special bond, yes, but not enough to drive him out of his lifestyle or even pay her a visit too often (and it would probably be with the "yeah, whatever...", "don't-you-think-I-care-about-you!" attitude just like he develops with the young alien in the Episode of Bardack). Remember, he pretty much doesn't care about the son they had together, so if he had strong "true love" feelings for her, he would probably cherish the being that's essentially a fusion of them instead of just not caring about that meaningless brat (which would be very un-Saiyan, so it goes with the theory that there couldn't be a true "love" feeling, more of an instinct/animal male thing).

I think it's an in-between thing, a feeling of "Somehow, I instinctively care about you a little more than for others for some reason", but certainly nothing life-changing and nothing that would make him go soft.
crisis wrote:18 looks like her name could've been "Sarah" or something. She looks like a Sarah.

Yet another thing Toriyama might reveal someday.

After all, Mr. Satan had no first name for a while, until one day Toriyama decided "oh, by the way, if you want to know the name so much, here it is!"
So maybe someday, he'll say what C-17 and C-18 were called before becoming cyborgs.

Anyway, I guess finding this out would be the revelation of one of Dragon Ball's greatest mysteries - or at least greatest "I'd be curious to know" questions - for years, just like Goku's mother was.
It is noteworthy that despite being freed from Gero's decisions, they didn't choose to get back their names even years later. Was it erased from their memories, or is it because they consider themselves as being "those that were reborn after their transformations" instead of their previous, fully human incarnations? Or maybe C-18 just doesn't care and since everyone calls her that way, why not?

Anyway, much as I think Sarah fits C-18 perfectly, that sexy girl was probably named Marilyn (coincidentally, "Maririn" and "Kuririn" would end up together), while C-17 was named James (being unrelated to other characters, his name is based on his sister Marilyn, inspired by Marilyn Monroe's first "duo" being with James Dougherty during teenager years, before she just left him to live his life on the other side of the Earth and went for new "duos" she thought would be more compatible with her new lifestyle). I guess on another hand, and more simply, C-17 could be named Chris (Kurisu), so that C-18's two men in her life (her brother and her husband) both had a name starting with "Kuri".
You're supposed to know it, but OF COURSE this is nothing official, just my imagination.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm

The new story should relate Super Saiyan 2 Bardock to Gine.

I think 18 and 17's real names should be Bonnie and Clyde ;)
Jesse and James also fits them.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:31 am

I never thought there would be a day we would all get to discover who Goku's mom is!! I can't believe it. :clap: It's really amazing to see Toriyama still come up with stuff like this. Gine, like Jean?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 am

JeffJarrett wrote:The new story should relate Super Saiyan 2 Bardock to Gine.
No. Just no. I can't think of anything Toriyama could do that wouldn't seem like an asspull for that. Especially not without a lot of pages, which I'm assuming is not what we're going to get out of this special/bonus/whatever chapter.
Jackal puFF wrote:Gine, like Jean?
To quote the Kanzenshuu main page: "ギネ (gine with a hard “G” sound at the beginning and an “eh” sound at the end) is likely an anagram of ネギ (negi) or “green onion” (also known as “spring onion” or “scallions”)."
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:The new story should relate Super Saiyan 2 Bardock to Gine.

I think 18 and 17's real names should be Bonnie and Clyde ;)
Jesse and James also fits them.
This is like what happened to Mr. Satan when his name was unveiled by Toriyama in 2009 as "Mark" (the anagram on Akuma meaning the Devil).
Cold Skin wrote:Bardack was probably drawn to the more reserved Gine as some sort of "male protection instinct", creating a special bond between them.
A special bond, yes, but not enough to drive him out of his lifestyle or even pay her a visit too often (and it would probably be with the "yeah, whatever...", "don't-you-think-I-care-about-you!" attitude just like he develops with the young alien in the Episode of Bardack). Remember, he pretty much doesn't care about the son they had together, so if he had strong "true love" feelings for her, he would probably cherish the being that's essentially a fusion of them instead of just not caring about that meaningless brat (which would be very un-Saiyan, so it goes with the theory that there couldn't be a true "love" feeling, more of an instinct/animal male thing).

I think it's an in-between thing, a feeling of "Somehow, I instinctively care about you a little more than for others for some reason", but certainly nothing life-changing and nothing that would make him go soft.

Yet another thing Toriyama might reveal someday.

After all, Mr. Satan had no first name for a while, until one day Toriyama decided "oh, by the way, if you want to know the name so much, here it is!"
So maybe someday, he'll say what C-17 and C-18 were called before becoming cyborgs.

Anyway, I guess finding this out would be the revelation of one of Dragon Ball's greatest mysteries - or at least greatest "I'd be curious to know" questions - for years, just like Goku's mother was.
It is noteworthy that despite being freed from Gero's decisions, they didn't choose to get back their names even years later. Was it erased from their memories, or is it because they consider themselves as being "those that were reborn after their transformations" instead of their previous, fully human incarnations? Or maybe C-18 just doesn't care and since everyone calls her that way, why not?

Anyway, much as I think Sarah fits C-18 perfectly, that sexy girl was probably named Marilyn (coincidentally, "Maririn" and "Kuririn" would end up together), while C-17 was named James (being unrelated to other characters, his name is based on his sister Marilyn, inspired by Marilyn Monroe's first "duo" being with James Dougherty during teenager years, before she just left him to live his life on the other side of the Earth and went for new "duos" she thought would be more compatible with her new lifestyle). I guess on another hand, and more simply, C-17 could be named Chris (Kurisu), so that C-18's two men in her life (her brother and her husband) both had a name starting with "Kuri".
You're supposed to know it, but OF COURSE this is nothing official, just my imagination.
Why not give Jinzoningen #18 the name of Nathalie?

To explain why the name fits, #18's name could be a play of "Natto" (ナット), meaning "nut", but otherwise it's rearranged to Natoma (ナト, Nato). Hence, it could match Kuririn's name of "chestnut" (kuri).
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

DNA wrote:Okay, I've been very late to all these parties we've been having around. I see a lot of interesting bits of information. I'm eager to see more of this Goku's mother business :D

Also, I just thought this was funny, as Herms was describing, you got the terms Super Elite, Elite, Mid Class, Low Class and then Lowest Class, whilst some of these are probably the same, I have to laugh at the fact that Raditz is Lowest Class and it kinda sounds like something below Low Class.

Raditz is just the lowest of the low, the butt of the Saiyan jokes, poor guy. Well, at least he got to hook up with Jadoushin, so not everything is bad for that dude.
Old, but I should bring up that, at least in the Viz manga, Vegeta also calls Goku the "lowest class of warrior"... during the battle with Freeza, which is after Goku obtained a power of 900,000 (90,000 + KK x10) and became one of the strongest beings in the universe.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:35 am

Sarah sounds too generic of a name for #18 and too western. Mr. Toriyama wouldn't use that.

Mark is a different case though. Mr. Satan kinda is portrayed to be nothing special as hes all talk-no-action type guy.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Sarah sounds too generic of a name for #18 and too western. Akira wouldn't use that.

Mark is a different case though. Mr. Satan kinda is portrayed to be nothing special as hes all talk-no-action type guy.
Akira Toriyama had no problem using western names for other characters. The majority of the Saiyan names are based on the English names for vegetables, for example, and an alien race that's mentioned offhand draws from Gulliver's Travels. Oh, and 18 is totally western.

http://www.lovelycyborg.com/img/outfit_cowgirl.jpg

:P

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Sarah sounds too generic of a name for #18 and too western. Mr. Toriyama wouldn't use that.

Toriyama might use Sarah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Conn ... minator%29

Toriyama's the kind of guy who loves him some puns and references.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Did Toriyama name the characters he designed in Chrono Trigger? Sara (Translated as Schala in the English version) is a pretty major character in it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm

and an alien race that's mentioned offhand draws from Gulliver's Travels.
For the record, that's only in Viz. In Japanese those aliens are said to be from Planet Litt, presumably a pun on the English word "little".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Levlik wrote:Did Toriyama name the characters he designed in Chrono Trigger? Sara (Translated as Schala in the English version) is a pretty major character in it.
Nope. And he didn't design them from scratch either; they were based on concept sketches from the story planner, Masato Kato:

This was actually similar to his work on the Dragon Quest series, in which the characters and monsters are actually first drawn by Yuuji Horii.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Eddie wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Sarah sounds too generic of a name for #18 and too western. Akira wouldn't use that.

Akira Toriyama had no problem using western names for other characters. The majority of the Saiyan names are based on the English names for vegetables, for example, and an alien race that's mentioned offhand draws from Gulliver's Travels. Oh, and 18 is totally western.
Well its not impossible, its just within my first source for speculation but I don't know the range of his sources.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.