Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:49 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Not sure if was a responds to me. But I was being sarcastic. But ya know. Internet kinda doesn't show that. To me honesty. Good Saiyans have make good character development for the Saiyan race.
It was a reply to you and penguintruth both, but more specifically just about the whole 'Good Saiyans ruin everything' mindset in general, really.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Not sure if was a responds to me. But I was being sarcastic. But ya know. Internet kinda doesn't show that. To me honesty. Good Saiyans have make good character development for the Saiyan race.
It was a reply to you and penguintruth both, but more specifically just about the whole 'Good Saiyans ruin everything' mindset in general, really.
Well if we start to get to many then it kinda make some contradictions. Due to Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz's statement.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm quite excited to see Gine and I think it can only help the Dragon Ball universe. I doubt she'll play a large role in any future stories (being featured at the very end of a gag manga after all) so why not? This is a mystery that I don't mind being solved.
Last edited by RocktheDragon on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:56 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I just never watched the Bardock special in Japanese haha :P
:shock:

Mate...watch that thing in Japanese. You'll never want to touch the English version again.

Do it. Do it NOW. :P

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 pm

I just get the feeling they're going to try to explain Goku's personality through his mother, instead of the time-tested tradition of him having fallen into a canyon and hit his head.

Much of his personality comes from BRAIN DAMAGE. That rock he hit his head on is his mother. I want to see Goku visit the rock every Mother's Day and put flowers around it.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:59 pm

I am ready for this... For all the wrong reasons.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Scarz wrote:I am ready for this... For all the wrong reasons.
And thats why we love you.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:05 pm

penguintruth wrote:I just get the feeling they're going to try to explain Goku's personality through his mother, instead of the time-tested tradition of him having fallen into a canyon and hit his head.

Much of his personality comes from BRAIN DAMAGE. That rock he hit his head on is his mother. I want to see Goku visit the rock every Mother's Day and put flowers around it.
I'm sure they (Toriyama?) might do something like that with regards to Gine's personality influencing her son's because that's just a common theme inside and outside of entertainment media. Don't you think that it would be fitting that Goku's mother's personality shares some commonalities with her son? I can understand the trepidation and anger you feel of exposing the mystery but I think at the end of the day something like this can only help and not harm.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can't wait to see your drawings.

On Topic:
When are we getting Vegeta's mother?
RocktheDragon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I just get the feeling they're going to try to explain Goku's personality through his mother, instead of the time-tested tradition of him having fallen into a canyon and hit his head.

I'm sure they (Toriyama?) might do something like that with regards to Gine's personality influencing her son's because that's just a common theme inside and outside of entertainment media. Don't you think that it would be fitting that Goku's mother's personality shares some commonalities with her son? I can understand the trepidation and anger you feel of exposing the mystery but I think at the end of the day something like this can only help and not harm.
Um. Goku was a brat and a fucking horrible child. Until he bumped his head and turned good. I don't see how Gine caused that. I don't know why or how Gine could have been the cause of Goku's persona if Goku was evil until he hurt this head.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Vegeta's long lost brother, Bulma's long lost sister, Super Saiyan Bardock the Time Lord and now we get to see Goku's mom! They really need to just cut to the chase and dive head first into Star Wars expanded universe levels of stupidity if they are going to do this shit to Dragon Ball. As soon as we see one of the past villains return with robot spider legs I'm outta here.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 pm

And thus we are all reminded of the real reason that what Goku's mom looks like was needed - to inspire Scarz. :mrgreen:
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 pm

What part of "gentle, not suited for fighting, and being romantic" is so much like Goku, anyway?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Kaboom wrote:What part of "gentle, not suited for fighting, and being romantic" is so much like Goku, anyway?
Goku is gentle when he's not fighting....if that counts for anything.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Kaboom wrote:What part of "gentle, not suited for fighting, and being romantic" is so much like Goku, anyway?
...Well, it does sort of bring Evolution's Goku to mind...but...let's not go down that route.
Twitter

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:

No. I don't want Goku's personality to come from his parents, that's an even easier out than the brain damage.

"He gets it from his mother."

No. The whole point of NOT explaining it away as him inheriting his parents' personalities is to make him more interesting and less common like ordinary people are. Goku isn't like anybody, even his own race, except in liking to fight (but he likes it differently than Vegeta). That's what makes Goku interesting, FFS.

Am I reading a completely different manga and watching a different show than some of you? Do you not get that what makes Goku interesting is that he's quirky, not just that he's strong?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm

If it wasn't for your latest part of Tenshihan&Lanch, I'd be actually afraid that we could get an out of character Gine. But now I'm sure it'll be all right. And I'm waiting eagerly for this.

Also I like that fact that browsing Kanzenshuu today has been for me like this: "Oh, here comes someone with a crazy rumour, let's see it dismissed by the mods... Wait, it's actually true?". And it happened twice in a row - Goku's mom and Vegeta's possible major role in some potential Toriyama-made story.
penguintruth wrote: Am I reading a completely different manga and watching a different show than some of you?
If you see Goku as gentle and disliking fights, then yes, we're reading different, even contradictory, mangas.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Tzigi wrote: If you see Goku as gentle and disliking fights, then yes, we're reading different, even contradictory, mangas.
If this is what you're extrapolating from my posts, there isn't a drink powerful enough to drown my sorrows in.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:19 pm

This doesn't automatically mean that they're trying to say he gets it from his mom rather than the brain damage though. There's nothing yet to suggest that they're throwing the dropped-on-his-head thing out the window, I don't know why you're so quick to overreact like they are. And as far as the Goku being quirky being what makes him interesting thing, you're completely right. That's what I like about him too and is what makes him stand out - but again, there's nothing for sure saying they're trying to tamper with that yet.
Twitter

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

They will. They tamper with everything.

It happened with Bardock, it'll happen with Gine.

Can I get a Schemen?

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 pm

ok.. and then we will need her in db heroes as ssj, ssj2, ssj3, ssj4 and ssj god :P
if episode of bardock 2 comes out maybe we can see her..