Vegeta is getting soft

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Vegeta is getting soft

Post by tx3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm

i watched battel of gods the other day ...oh man did they f* up vegeta with that film ...since when is he a coward?? and dancing ??? i can't watch this ...this is so far from his Charakter.

the whole movie was crap ..but this was just to much

please dont make more movies! (i hate all DB movies btw.)

maybe Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn was 5/10 and that's the best one

only the Manga is the truth!

look at this! :thumbdown:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Vegeta is getting soft

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:14 pm

It's called character progression. And honestly it's not like Vegeta went from Saiyan Saga Vegeta to BoG Vegeta. His character developed throughout Z. So, to me he wasn't any different to what I'd expect at this point.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Agreed with Baggie. And as I've said in other threads, I'm finding much more to like in the comedic edged Vegeta that we've gotten from the JSAT and BoG than I ever did in his previous 'hardcore' self.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

You do realize how much Vegeta has changed from his time on Earth right? From going into a rage over Trunks being blasted by Cell, sacrificing himself for his family and even Goku against Majin Buu, accepting fusion after hearing his son had been absorbed, acknowledging Goku as the better man, and once again going into a rage over Bulma being slapped by Beerus.

Even though he has trouble showing it at times, he does care for the others enough that hed toss his pride away for their safety. Thats not being a coward, thats being a man.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:31 pm

You right he changed his characteristics ...at the end of the Boo saga he became Majin Vegeta and realized he is not evil

BUT ....does this mean he needs to dance and be scared all the time and being a clown NO!

he just changed his Motivations ..not fighting for hisself more for his friends...or more like his son.
a Proud warrior that loves to fight ...not a parody of himsef that has nothing ...really nothing to do with the Vegeta from 1996.

it's terrible ...and bad writting at it's best
they made this for cheap jokes....i did not even smile ...only anger.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Yeah, I talked about this before in another thread with others. His character was getting really annoying with his big "Grrr, I am so great. Fight me, the strongest Saiyan!!" schlock. But with (future) Trunks we see a more fatherly figure emerge. His stupidity leaked into the Buu arc for obvious reasons, but then we see his pride change into something more compassionate and bonded with family. BOG is just a further step.
tx3 wrote:BUT ....does this mean he needs to dance and be scared all the time and being a clown NO!
He wasn't being a coward, he was doing something that forced him to swallow his pride in order to protect everyone within a split-second decision. Had, say, Cell-arc Vegeta been in the party situation, I'm sure he'd do something so stupidly brash that everyone would get killed.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 pm

tx3 wrote:You right he changed his characteristics ...at the end of the Boo saga he became Majin Vegeta and realized he is not evil

BUT ....does this mean he needs to dance and be scared all the time and being a clown NO!

he just changed his Motivations ..not fighting for hisself more for his friends...or more like his son.
a Proud warrior that loves to fight ...not a parody of himsef that has nothing ...really nothing to do with the Vegeta from 1996.

it's terrible ...and bad writting at it's best
they made this for cheap jokes....i did not even smile ...only anger.
Vegeta acts the way he does around Beerus because hes one of the few who know what Beerus is capable off. He knows if Beerus wants to, he could destroy everyone on earth with the littlest of effort.

And again, hes changed from how he used to be because of his time and family on earth. He grows up and accepts his shortcomings.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 pm

People never remain the same for the entirety of their life, Vegeta for example was once an asshole dude with ego problems to a respectful father and in that regard he bested Goku (he wanted to be better than Goku so there's that at least :P).

Another thing he could've changed from, stop calling Goku as Kakkarotto but it's too late, that's what he's stuck with forever.

P.S.: I've not yet seen Battle of Gods because I'm waiting for FUNimation to release it on BD.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Ryuman wrote:He wasn't being a coward, he was doing something that forced him to swallow his pride in order to protect everyone within a split-second decision. Had, say, Cell-arc Vegeta been in the party situation, I'm sure he'd do something so stupidly brash that everyone would get killed.
Exactly. If this had been Vegeta as he'd been in the Cell arc, he'd probably have mouthed off about how not even a 'God' can be stronger than he, the Prince of All Saiyans, blargh blargh blargh. That and he'd remember his father's humiliation in a completely different light - he'd just assume that yes, Beerus is stronger than his dad was, but...so was Vegeta himself, and so was Freeza who Vegeta has long since surpassed. Heck, even if this had been early Boo arc Vegeta, he'd have mouthed off about how Gods were nothing, and he'd want to show off against the guy that even Goku couldn't beat.

But post-Kid Boo fight, Vegeta? The same Vegeta who has been humbled and admitted that Goku is stronger than him, and has seemed to turn his urge to get stronger into a positive 'I want to keep up with Goku' light rather than a negative 'I am worthless if I can't surpass that clown!' one? A Vegeta that we've seen as willing to die to save his family and, yes, even his 'friends'? That Vegeta I have no problem buying being willing to shame himself in such a way if needed.

Besides, there's also the fact that it's funny because it's so ludicrous. It's funny in the same way that babysitter Piccolo was.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:42 pm

I found one of the bigger aspects of the film was to have Goku and Vegeta to kinda become a bit more relaxed with themselves. Vegeta made a fool of himself to avoid confrontation with Birus because he knew he didnt (nor anyone else) stand a chance. Goku had to learn the hard way that he'll never be the strongest. I think along the way Goku and Vegetas got a little out of hand. I do like Saiyan saga goku and Saiyan/namek vegeta. But I enjoyed the out of characterness of Vegeta in this.

Plus, if vegeta is the main focus of the next movie, I expect some awesome moments.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
P.S.: I've not yet seen Battle of Gods because I'm waiting for FUNimation to release it on BD.
I admire your patience!!!

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah, I have more admiration for Vegeta what he did. I'm assuming it seemed more ridiculous, because he's not used to behaving in such a silly fashion. He didn't enjoy it, but threw his pride aside to help save his friends and family. For a character as prideful as he is, it just makes him more heroic. The reason why Vegeta became my second favorite character was because of how much character development he got and why Final Atonement is my favorite moment in all of Dragonball. It's a testament to how much Goku has inspired and changed people. It's comforting to me, to see how much people can change.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm

movie is crap...i am sorry i sound like a douch ..but i didn't enjoy it at all.

bad writting
bad script
bad story
bad Enemy
bad everything

the only good this was goku punching a hole in the planet ..this was awesome. lol

anyway i like maskulin heros with pried ...and i hate when they use cheap jokes and its the the cheapst joke ever using the dark charachter doing somthing dumb.

maybe you guys like soft and feminin charachters more like chichi or pan or whatever ..everybody as he prefers nothing wrong with that.

the only thing that bothered me is that Vegeta ...the Alpha Pride Fighter Nummero, Uno became a clown .for no reason ..it did not help the story AT ALL!!!!!..and i read all the Mangas!!! not once not twice ...many times ..that's not as he was ..you can write what you want.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:Yeah, I have more admiration for Vegeta what he did. I'm assuming it seemed more ridiculous, because he's not used to behaving in such a silly fashion. He didn't enjoy it, but threw his pride aside to help save his friends and family. For a character as prideful as he is, it just makes him more heroic. The reason why Vegeta became my second favorite character was because of how much character development he got and why Final Atonement is my favorite moment in all of Dragonball. It's a testament to how much Goku has inspired and changed people. It's comforting to me, to see how much people can change.
I agree, actually. Goku and Beerus say as much in the cave. This whole discussion is making me reflect on him, and now he's rising though my favourites.
Perhaps all this is what changed Toriyama's opinion and had him recommend Vegeta for the next movie? I can't help but agree with him right now.

As for the topic at large, I guess there's nothing here we can do to make you think otherwise, tx3. It's gonna have to be a 'agree to disagree' situation.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm

tx3 wrote:movie is crap...i am sorry i sound like a douch ..but i didn't enjoy it at all.

bad writting
bad script
bad story
bad Enemy
bad everything

the only good this was goku punching a hole in the planet ..this was awesome. lol

anyway i like maskulin heros with pried ...and i hate when they use cheap jokes and its the the cheapst joke ever using the dark charachter doing somthing dumb.

maybe you guys like soft and feminin charachters more like chichi or pan or whatever ..everybody as he prefers nothing wrong with that.

the only thing that bothered me is that Vegeta ...the Alpha Pride Fighter Nummero, Uno became a clown .for no reason ..it did not help the story AT ALL!!!!!..and i read all the Mangas!!! not once not twice ...many times ..that's not as he was ..you can write what you want.
Do you not grasp the concept and point behind character progression? With what your saying it sounds like you wish Vegeta was how he was in the Saiyan saga for the entire series.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 pm

tx3 wrote:movie is crap...i am sorry i sound like a douch ..but i didn't enjoy it at all.

bad writting
bad script
bad story
bad Enemy
bad everything

I'm not going to call you a douche but what I am going to say is, "In before the lock!!!".
You do realize that this forum has some kinda rule on typing in English properly, right? Here, I see constant misuse of capital letters, misspellings and etc. Sure, one can say that he or she is not a native English speaker but it doesn't sound like you're not a native English speaker. Hell, I'm not even a native English speaker! And in defense of what your implications here, I think it has been unanimously pointed out that Vegeta is one of the few characters with quite the plethora of character development. And unless you have a family of your own (meaning wife and kids), you'd probably have a better grasp of the changes in Vegeta's personality.
The world is your's.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Pretty much what everyone says; the guy changed. He's much more composed, and in spite of his giant ego, he has accepted reality. He knows full-well that Goku is a superior fighter, and learning that he was beaten in a single chop was enough for him to say "Well, shit. Better be careful". He knew the threat, that if he charged Beerus blindly, he'd get decimated along with the rest of the planet. That's not being a coward, that's being smart. For a guy with pride like his, it takes far more strength acting in such a ridiculous fashion than it does to just attack the damn guy; all that to protect his loved one. A younger Vegeta (pre-Trunks death) likely would have disregarded Kaio's warning, much like he did against the Androids and Perfect Cell. And remember, he still reluctantly bowed to Freeza because he knew his power was a far cry from the tyrant's, so it's not like the guy never knew his limits. Hell, even the deveolopment of Vegeta from the movies, which are usually just simplistic retellings of the main story, shows; take movies 6-8 Vegeta, then look at movie 9 Vegeta, then movie 13 Vegeta.

Also, a friendly word: I would advise watching your spelling if you want to stay on this forum. Some may not mind, but they're a minority the mods are not part of.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Vegeta character got his biggest development in buu saga.
I don't see his dance ridiculous, its written toriyama all over that scene
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am

He is getting soft in someways where he'd rather choose to be a punchng bag rather than an actual tag-in.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 am

Funny how people complain about this but now about how he was so scared of Broly in movie 8.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 am

sorry i dont agree with any of you guys.
the plot was as bad as the whole character development is reaaaallyy bad.

i am really surprised u guys dont see it!

i have a theorie ..just an idea! in the 90's everything was more rough in storytelling, with Maskulin Overmuscled heros, who fight to the death! (which i prefer) it was widly accepted by the viewers (look at all the turtels, extrem sharks He mans ...Animes ) anyway this trend changed, heros like Ruffy or as may the US folks call him Luffy ..has got beloved, Naruto and look at the Final Fantasy Hero starting from 8...skinny dudes less agressiv, more funny more dancing singing (this might not be the case for all i names just for the record). Look at Toriama recent Art i am fascinated by it ..cause well its freaking troiyama, but i must say it dont fit to Dragonball...at all! he tries to fit in that movement and moved his style in that direction( i think i even read somewhere that his kids love one piece more than dragonball). so tadaaaa Skinny Goku.
well u might ask yourself and what has that to do with The dragonball movie? well a lot!
first and formost character development if you got all this viewers or lets say potential viewers who dislike maskulin heros, and accepting feminin (lets call it feminin even so it's wrong it more like soft) style, u might not want to bring up a Vegeta from the 90's ...to hardcore as some said in this discussion ( btw i loled about that), it's a logic move from the script writer to make him
appeal to the masses...make him as soft and kawaii as possible ..this runs out to the whole movie son goku, picoolo name them all behaved for me super wired!

for me i am a big fan but i boykott dragonball GT did not watch it maybe one episode ..i vomited a bit. same goes for the movies ..i watched 3 or 4 ..they all sucked i did not even watch the Anime on TV (but that an other story..i think the Anime suckes too btw). What i am trying to say is i finished the Mangas ...and stopped there thats my only source and than jumped to the Battle of Gods. And i was shocked! this is not the Dragonball i read in the Mangas WTF is this!!...than comes the fact that the movie is bad written the fights where okayish blah blah did not like it.

So to sum everything up, i came from a time far far away where everything was good. and you guys enjoy your Now vegeta who i my eyes is lost his soul.