New Animation VS Old Animation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Re: New Animation VS Old Animation

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:09 am

Wait, you drew that? Holy shit, that's some talent!

If ErikB is reading this, I enjoyed your images as well!
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 am

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:Wait, you drew that? Holy shit, that's some talent!

If ErikB is reading this, I enjoyed your images as well!
Yes, and with my mouse, because my tablet's been acting up. :mrgreen:

I used some late Dragon Ball and early Z shots as reference for the style and proportions, but it was all drawn in GIMP. The smooth stroke option really came in handy. I wanted to recreate an inky, pen drawn look, so I used a filter called "spread", which gives a sort of randomized pixellation, similar to the MS Paint airbrush, and then I slightly blurred the art, and then slightly sharpened it to give it a thicker, inky effect. I also tried to replicate a slight shadow from the "cel", and accomplished this by copying Vegeta, slightly blurring him and then reducing the layer's opacity by about %50, and then slightly shifted that layer down and right a few pixels.

Then the grain was layered on top. I made a new layer that I filled in medium gray, and I added some faint noise on top, and then put a very faint amount of noise reduction to it to give an authentic 16mm film grain. That's a technique I've been working on perfecting for a while now.

Also, I made a minor correction to his chin. I realized I made it a bit too straight and thick, so I made it a little bit more narrow:

I'm not making any further corrections, that just stood out to me.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Joppuman

Post by Joppuman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:45 am

I wonder what Nakatsuru is doing right now, and what it would look like if they brought him on as a character designer? Would his art look like it did a back during GT or the Dr. Slump manga he drew, or would it look closer to Toriyama's art style now. I think it would be cool to see that, or heck maybe even Maeda.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
I decided to meet you halfway on your further edits. I personally feel you took it a tad too far in the chin reduction (at least as far as classic Yamamuro goes. Whether you prefer that or not is up to you), so I did it about halfway, and I turned the original chin into under-chin to add a bit of depth, and because I was paranoid about taking too much chin away.
I personally prefer Vegeta with a smaller chin as that's how I remember the character looking most of the time. I also thought it made more sense for that particular image since he's gritting his teeth rather than opening his mouth. I think the under chin is a nice addition on your edit though.
Metalwario64 wrote:I have another correction here:
This one was drawn a bit better, but still had the usual face proportion issues. I moved the mouth up, and I shrunk the eyes inward, because they were too wide for the face and the eyebrows should extend past them a bit. I also did the usual hair and shading edits.
Nice work on this one although I feel like his nose and mouth look too close together, If I had to go in and fix it I would probably make the nose smaller or just redraw it since I hate the new style of nose they use.

I wonder why you didn't draw the under chin here as well since it would make sense considering the angle of the shot.
Metalwario64 wrote:
This is really cool, well done! :clap:
I've been experimenting with film grain in other things so it's awesome to see others doing the same, it really adds so much texture to the image and it's something I really miss in modern animation.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:00 am

NitroEX wrote:I wonder why you didn't draw the under chin here as well since it would make sense considering the angle of the shot..
It was experimentation more than anything.

To be honest, I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but I've messed with it so much that I'm frankly sick of it. :lol: All of my tweaks have been done in the way that requires the least effort, and to be honest, the whole face probably needs more extensive redrawing and reshaping to get just right, but I'm done with it at this point. I'm happy with my shocked Vegeta correction though.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 am

Alright, I have to ask; is this just a fan art thread now?

Also, get rid of the brown hair; Vegeta doesn't look right with it. I'm serious, most of these "corrections" would've been near perfect if his hair was black (and hilarious if he was bald... make it happen).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 am

I certainly think there more rough areas in the new animation then there are in the old, however, I still think most of new animation we've gotten for Dragon Ball has been up to standard and good as a whole.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Alright, I have to ask; is this just a fan art thread now?

Also, get rid of the brown hair; Vegeta doesn't look right with it. I'm serious, most of these "corrections" would've been near perfect if his hair was black (and hilarious if he was bald... make it happen).
Except, all the cels of Vegeta have his hair that shade of brown, it's just that the process of copying film destroys that information thus, making it look black when it never was.

MetalWario, you are the man.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Joppuman wrote:I wonder what Nakatsuru is doing right now, and what it would look like if they brought him on as a character designer? Would his art look like it did a back during GT or the Dr. Slump manga he drew, or would it look closer to Toriyama's art style now. I think it would be cool to see that, or heck maybe even Maeda.
Nakatsuru a freelance animator, occasionally working on Toei Animation or Studio Pierrot works. He did work on Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:37 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:If ErikB is reading this, I enjoyed your images as well!
Heh, thanks.
Daisetsu wrote:Alright, I have to ask; is this just a fan art thread now?
I'm probably the guiltiest culprit, but the images I drew were directly influenced by this discussion so it made sense to post them here.

Incidentally, I've watched the new English Resurrection: F trailer several times now and I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've got my ticket (as well as a few for friends) so I'm starting to get my hopes up for August.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Also, I made a minor correction to his chin. I realized I made it a bit too straight and thick, so I made it a little bit more narrow:
I like your corrections, this was taken from a real episode? I don't really like the way the eyebrows are stuck in the eyes
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 pm

That was drawn by hand (mouse. :P) with references to Maeda's 23rd Tournament artwork at my side. Those aren't his eyebrows, that's shading. Piccolo has this shading around his eyes on both sides, but perhaps it works better on him since he has no eyebrows.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh wow, that's almost exactly like his style. :thumbup:

I'm curious to see how Masunaga's art would look now with this shiny new style.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:27 am

Here's one last Maeda-fication:

I'm a bit iffy on my previous one, but I think this one, like my first one, turned out good. I think it would be awesome if some modern anime tried to replicate the old, celluloid look like this. Although, the more I look at it, the more it looks like Toshiyuki Kan'no's late Dragon Ball style. :lol:

Here's the original:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 am

That last image I think looks the best! Really captures the original.

I too would love to see an animation studio try to make, at the very least, a Dragonball special with the old style. The film grain and stuff is optional, but hopefully with the old school art style.

I love the old style's expressions, they are so much more varied and a bit more exaggerated, which I think helps get across emotions better and can set tone more properly. The new style is very flat and expressions barely vary, where the eyes, and the mouth stay roughly the same shape and size, with little added detail to really emphasize emotion such as fear (like in the recreation you did).

Now, I'd love to see a GIF of all the corrections with the original! It would almost be like a comparison of style through the ages.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That was drawn by hand (mouse. :P) with references to Maeda's 23rd Tournament artwork at my side. Those aren't his eyebrows, that's shading. Piccolo has this shading around his eyes on both sides, but perhaps it works better on him since he has no eyebrows.
I like your corrections, why not extract all the frames and correct the entire film while you at it :lol:

Try correcting this one.

BeholdeR

Post by BeholdeR » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 pm

I find the old image of Cell much better also.
fadeddreams5 wrote:If Gohan fights, he is 100% getting knocked the **** out.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Detailed animation drawings does not good animation make, necessarily. Despite 'detailed' drawings the episodes that Maeda supervised never quite had interesting facial expressions or timing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:56 am

Did you guys enjoyed the animation in DBS pilot?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:07 am

Noah wrote:Did you guys enjoyed the animation in DBS pilot?
It wasn't really a pilot, it was an actual first episode. That said, I actually thought the animation was pretty good. I had low expectations to begin with, but in the end if this is the average level of quality we'll get I think I'll be pleased.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog