New Animation VS Old Animation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nicolas_3d
Beyond Newbie

Re: New Animation VS Old Animation

Post by nicolas_3d » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:03 pm

DBZMerciter2005 wrote:
nicolas_3d wrote:The old animations looked good in some of the main episodes, but many the other episodes looked real bad. Here are a few examples... You guys who complain on the new animation style seem to overlook all the badly drawn episodes we had in the 90's... All these images have major proportions problems. And I would say that most episodes back in the day looked like these... That being said, the new animations are far from perfect, I don't like how they put pointy elf like ears on the characters...
Did you list this one as an example of poor animation? This is actually an example of beautiful, good animation if you asked me. The others were examples of the awful animation from Z but this one certainly isn't.
To me that doesn't look like Toriyama's Goku at all. It looks like it comes from another anime...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:08 pm

That's because of the artists' style. That doesn't make it bad animation. On the contrary, Studio Cockpit put out some of the most fluid, dynamic animation in the second half of Z.

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:12 pm

No, it's definitely is Toriyama's Goku. Well, he didn't draw it. But that drawing is based off Toriyama's art style at the time. Honestly, that image you posted looks a lot better than some of Toriyama's drawings during the Boo arc.

Also, that does look Goku, does it not? He has the golden spiky hair and orange gi, he's kind of but also absolutely 100 percent Goku from Dragon Ball Z. :P
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:That's because of the artists' style. That doesn't make it bad animation. On the contrary, Studio Cockpit put out some of the most fluid, dynamic animation in the second half of Z.

Man, I really hope Studio Cockpit return some day to do some animation for Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm

I despise their style but the animation itself is great. I don't think they'll return though.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 am

Doctor. wrote:I despise their style but the animation itself is great. I don't think they'll return though.
Sometimes their style can look goofy, what with them drawing the mouth area in such an exaggerated way, but I like it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:43 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:That's because of the artists' style. That doesn't make it bad animation. On the contrary, Studio Cockpit put out some of the most fluid, dynamic animation in the second half of Z.

Man, I really hope Studio Cockpit return some day to do some animation for Super.
Masunaga Keisuke seems to be mostly retired. Umakoshi Yoshihiko is a much in demand animator, but he does now have ties with Toei Animation thanks to being character designer for a PreCure series and Saint Seiya Omega Episodes #1-51. Iwane Masa'aki has been an animator for Pocket Monster since it began in 1997. He eventually moved from Studio Cockpit to being an in-house animator for OLM, near as I can tell. Iwane is the franchise's big action animator, working under his fellow Studio Cockpit alumni (Natsume Kunihiko, Tamagawa Akihiro most prominently) or doing the entirety of the key animation for an episode (directed by Asada Yuuji, another member of Studio Cockpit). Iwane did ten entire episodes in 2014 himself, plus cuts for other episodes. Studio Cockpit itself does a ton of in-between animation for Pocket Monster now, too.

The majority of the animators from Studio Cockpit that worked on Dragon Ball Z aren't available anymore, for the most part.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:55 am

Doctor. wrote:I despise their style but the animation itself is great.
I agree. Animation isn't everything.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:The majority of the animators from Studio Cockpit that worked on Dragon Ball Z aren't available anymore, for the most part.
Aw, man. That's a damn shame.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:07 am

The Boo arc had a lot of weird looking chins, including this famous shot:

Sorry for the crap quality.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:11 am

Those kind of shots are in the manga too, it's how Toriyama draws chins when the angle comes from below.

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 am

I'm not sure I dislike the new animation itself, though I'm kind of bothered by the new art style. A lot of people already mentioned the "digital" look it has nowadays in comparison to the DB-DBZ era, so I'm going to focus on something else that I find slighly off. The shading changed a bit in a way that I'm not very fond of. Both the skin and hair of every character now have more layers of shading, which is completely unnecessary to me and even makes the transition between Z/Kai to Super a lot more jarring than it should be. It's certainly a small detail, but it's enough for me to feel like something's off.

I did a quick edit of one screencap from Super to make the shading more similar to the DBZ era. And I really prefer it this way:
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Agreed, your edit looks way better i have to admit.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:17 pm

I think the Photoshop colors are the problem.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:Those kind of shots are in the manga too, it's how Toriyama draws chins when the angle comes from below.
Toriyama did not draw chins from that angle like that before the cell arc. He actually drew the bottom of the jaw correctly from that perspective.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Caulifor wrote:I did a quick edit of one screencap from Super to make the shading more similar to the DBZ era. And I really prefer it this way:
There's way more wrong with that Super shot than just the shading:

Original:

Corrected:

First off, the ears were waaaay too high up on the head, so I lowered them to a more anatomically (and even proper to the art style) correct position. The nose was also way too big, and the left side isn't naturally shaped at all. It looks like a chunk of his nose is missing with that random flat edge. I redrew the nose to match the late Z style. His left eye was also oddly misshapen towards the inside, so I corrected that as well. I believe they incorrectly colored it as a highlight when it was supposed to be shading. Also, his eyes have the tops of the ridges furrowed, but he doesn't have the wrinkles in between his eyebrows. It makes him look unnaturally stained.

In Z, even very late on, when he had that classic determined look, he didn't have those furrowed brows:

Therefore I omitted them entirely. I also tweaked the wrinkles around his mouth, because they were a little overdone and overly prominent. I got rid of the one on the side of his mouth that wasn't smirking, since it doesn't make sense for it to be there. Just look at yourself in a mirror and smirk, you'll see that the side that is pulling away will have the prominent wrinkle. Z's style followed this logic as well.

Lastly, I did the usual shading adjustments. The shine around his face is simply incorrect, since it just carelessly covers the entire edge of his face, disregarding the concept of depth in shading. Z also followed this rule when there were highlights, as that above image shows, so I corrected that. I also omitted the lightest highlight of the hair, since that wasn't in Z, and though it's personal preference, I think it looks too plastic-like with it.

Here's a GIF to better showcase my changes:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:36 pm

@Metalwario64: Wow, amazing corrections! It's astonishing how Goku became much more recognizable (and charismatic too) with your adjustments. Goes to show how those details are clearly important. Your shading is much better too, since it's not as bright as in the original. Even the hair, which I much prefer to be 100% black, was completely fine with your shading. Good job! :thumbup:

May I ask you where is that Z Goku image from? The "shiny shading" (I'm sorry, I really don't know the proper term to that) is present, but I do know that in most of the episodes this is not the case. The character's skins were usually just two colors (natural skin and shadows).
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:57 pm

It's from episode 280:

Vegeta Takes Off His Hat!!
Goku, You are No. 1

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Caulifor wrote:I did a quick edit of one screencap from Super to make the shading more similar to the DBZ era. And I really prefer it this way:
There's way more wrong with that Super shot than just the shading:

Original:
Corrected:
First off, the ears were waaaay too high up on the head, so I lowered them to a more anatomically (and even proper to the art style) correct position. The nose was also way too big, and the left side isn't naturally shaped at all. It looks like a chunk of his nose is missing with that random flat edge. I redrew the nose to match the late Z style. His left eye was also oddly misshapen towards the inside, so I corrected that as well. I believe they incorrectly colored it as a highlight when it was supposed to be shading. Also, his eyes have the tops of the ridges furrowed, but he doesn't have the wrinkles in between his eyebrows. It makes him look unnaturally stained.

In Z, even very late on, when he had that classic determined look, he didn't have those furrowed brows:
Therefore I omitted them entirely. I also tweaked the wrinkles around his mouth, because they were a little overdone and overly prominent. I got rid of the one on the side of his mouth that wasn't smirking, since it doesn't make sense for it to be there. Just look at yourself in a mirror and smirk, you'll see that the side that is pulling away will have the prominent wrinkle. Z's style followed this logic as well.

Lastly, I did the usual shading adjustments. The shine around his face is simply incorrect, since it just carelessly covers the entire edge of his face, disregarding the concept of depth in shading. Z also followed this rule when there were highlights, as that above image shows, so I corrected that. I also omitted the lightest highlight of the hair, since that wasn't in Z, and though it's personal preference, I think it looks too plastic-like with it.

Here's a GIF to better showcase my changes:
Dang it! Beat me to it :lol: I had pretty much the same issues with that image as you did, although I thought his forehead wrinkles give an extra sense of emotion than without, so I left them in. Also, Goku never had a spray on tan, so I removed that as well :D

Last edited by MrWalnut4 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Heh, that's really good too. It looks like your method of lowering the ears was less headache inducing than mine. Goes to show that I don't always think things through all the way. :lol: