New Animation VS Old Animation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Re: New Animation VS Old Animation

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:04 am

bkev wrote:Is there a single episode of the tv series that looks as good as anything you just posted? If you're serious about a debate, use equivalent examples.
I would argue DBZ Ep. 64 looks as good if not better:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 am

That's the best looking episode(s) of the entire anime, though, and it's not clearly better than the movie at all, just comparable.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:40 am

rereboy wrote:That's the best looking episode(s) of the entire anime, though, and it's not clearly better than the movie at all, just comparable.
When you consider everything is done digitally nowadays, it wouldn't take nearly as long or close to as much effort it did to produce that one episode back then.

I would say it's better in terms of the conventional anime elements used: background effects, transitions, action bubbles, light effects, etc.

LonelyShadow
Beyond Newbie

Post by LonelyShadow » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Image
Wait. The scene looked very badass, but then, those lines appeared out of nowhere! I've never noticed that and now it's hilarious. :lol:

I miss those auras... They looked very cool.
Last edited by LonelyShadow on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:
rereboy wrote:That's the best looking episode(s) of the entire anime, though, and it's not clearly better than the movie at all, just comparable.
When you consider everything is done digitally nowadays, it wouldn't take nearly as long or close to as much effort it did to produce that one episode back then.

I would say it's better in terms of the conventional anime elements used: background effects, transitions, action bubbles, light effects, etc.
The key animators would need just as long to create an episode with detailed drawings, unless the key animator themselves was just incredibly quick. In-between animators would also need a lengthy period of time to do their in-between animation drawings.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

That episode where Goku and Vegeta fighting Super Buu before they fused stood out to me. Kazuya Hisada, Tate Naoki and Masahiro Shimanuki at a high point.
Vegeta hasn't looked this good in a while.

Masahiro Shimanuki's drawings look weird these days in Super. Can't say the same for Hisada, I honestly can't tell what drawings are his.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Hisada Kazuya hasn't done anything for Dragon Ball since the 2008 special.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Hisada Kazuya hasn't done anything for Dragon Ball since the 2008 special.
Damn, shame. Had a feeling.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Hisada is very busy as the character designer, chief animation supervisor and occasional animation supervisor and key animator for One Piece, so it makes sense he wouldn't work on anything else. Shimanuki Masahiro usually works on One Piece as an animation supervisor and key animator, too, although he has broken away to work on the past two Dragon Ball films and the occasional specials.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Shimanuki's artstyle remains nearly identical from his older work, but since the production of Super #8 was rushed, it doesn't surprise me to see his work suffer quite a bit. Any time you see multiple animation supervisors show up in the credits it means it's rushed to finish in time for it to air on TV. I have to wonder if he will be called to work as a animation supervisor for Super as he works back and forth between the former and One Piece.

Just so you know Naoki Tate also returned to the franchise and worked on Super #5.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Tate did work on the Opening animation and did key animation for Episode #2, although I can't really pick out what he did thanks to how conservative he was.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm

I can tell Naoki is still on the scene. I don't know if it's me expecting too much, them getting old, them being too used to the One Piece style or they just lack the time to make it look like their top quality Dragon Ball work.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:27 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:it doesn't surprise me to see his work suffer quite a bit. Any time you see multiple animation supervisors show up in the credits it means it's rushed to finish in time for it to air on TV.
Shimanuki has been a sub-par animator for years now. I don't really get what some people see in him.
I checked out his previous work on Dragon ball & it's much better than whatever he did afterwards.

I don't know what happened but his work on One Piece was not good. His episodes always looked meh in both art & animation.
I doubt his work suffered this time because of rushed production.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:I can tell Naoki is still on the scene-
In the case of Naoki Tate, it's obviously lack of time. He hasn't worked on OP in years so him being used to its style isn't the case here. His work on DWA was great. Aside from that, his animation hasn't been quite as good as it was on OP for some reason.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Hope the next episode has a good animation
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:14 am

Tate has been on this weird trajectory ever since he peaked with Episode of Chopper. After he left the regular rotation of One Piece animators around early 2010 he's pretty much done nothing on the level he was producing. It might just be a combination of a lack of time and a lack of in-betweens, it's hard to say. By the end of Toriko Tate didn't even seem to be trying.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:33 am

JulieYBM wrote:Tate has been on this weird trajectory ever since he peaked with Episode of Chopper. After he left the regular rotation of One Piece animators around early 2010 he's pretty much done nothing on the level he was producing. It might just be a combination of a lack of time and a lack of in-betweens, it's hard to say. By the end of Toriko Tate didn't even seem to be trying.
He's lost some of his passion for his art, you think? Maybe something happened behind the scenes that's just left him kind of disillusioned since?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:41 am

It's hard to say, but his output did drop rather heavily. He just spent half a year as the character designer of Disk Wars: Avengers, but otherwise he hasn't done anything particularly big as of late.

I think a big part of it is that Tate doesn't have time to do a lot of high-quality animation. If he had more time he could just do extra key animation to get make up for a smaller number of in-between drawings, but he doesn't have nearly that much time.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:53 am

JulieYBM wrote:It's hard to say, but his output did drop rather heavily. He just spent half a year as the character designer of Disk Wars: Avengers, but otherwise he hasn't done anything particularly big as of late.

I think a big part of it is that Tate doesn't have time to do a lot of high-quality animation. If he had more time he could just do extra key animation to get make up for a smaller number of in-between drawings, but he doesn't have nearly that much time.
I like your theory; it's less depressing than mine.

I hope Tate's issue is just him having a lack of time. And I do hope that some week Super will get a high quality cut of animation the way Precure often does and One Piece occasionally does.

I know Precure's got the worst animation team on deck for next week (Kawano); does that mean that Toei temporarily moved people around so that the good talent that's regularly on Precure gets to work on Super next week instead? Seeing as next week is likely the final climax of the reBOG arc?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ssj4johnjohn

Post by ssj4johnjohn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:13 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 am

ssj4johnjohn wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Per the forum rules, an image alone is not a suitable post. Please use your words. We'd love to know how this image relates to the topic and what you have to say about it.

Moreover, this thread is nearly a year old. Try not to post in threads where the last post is several months back. You're more than free to restart the discussion by creating a new thread.

Thanks! :thumbup:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.