New Animation VS Old Animation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

New Animation VS Old Animation

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Why can't i manage to like the new animation style?
I just hate the new animation style, it's too bright, the characters outlines are too marked and it looks like all characters are just... drawings on top of a shiny background.

Not to mention battle damage looks much worse and less realistic. It gets even worse on far away shots since everybody looks like a blob of goo.I can't even explain why i find the new animation style... off... and ugly looking.If i had to make a comparison...
Old Style: Looks pretty colorful but can also be gritty when needed.
New Style: Looks like it was drew on MS Paint.

I don't know why it just bothers me like hell, everytime i watch something new, it just doesn't look right to me. It feels lifeless, the palette is too bright for it's own good, the drawings feel worse and it just seems to lack emotion.

I watch plenty of new anime stuff without a problem, i like it quite a lot in fact (FMA Brotherhood, Death Note, Naruto are all pretty gorgeous most of the time), it's just the new Toei art style that i can't stomach.

Episode of Bardock looks really ugly, really lifeless.
Son Goku and Friends Return looked decent, probably the best new animation we got.
Battle of Gods looks kinda bad, for a movie that is, i only liked the animation for Beerus Palace and the final fight in space (both had a darker color palette, go figure)
Ultimate Tenkaichi cutscenes were kinda badly drawed.
I watched some random scenes from Toriko and i think what i have seen looks atrocious.
The Toriko X One Piece X Dragonball crossover looked godawful.
The DB Kai opening and eyecatches i liked, probably because they didn't blind you with their palette.

I hate the bright color palette, characters designs and drawings, the thick lines, the lack of detail and shading, the way SSJ hair is drawn, the lack of battle damage and injuries, the overall lifelessness of everything...honestly i don't think i can find anything i enjoy out from the new style.

Anyone else agrees with me? Is the new animation just really bad or it's just me that can't stand it?

It has come to the point that i'm glad Kai remastered old animation because i'm afraid if they reanimated the whole thing it would have looked absolutely horrible.

This comparison pretty much sums everything i find wrong with the new animation style Toei uses.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: New Animation VS Old Animation

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:50 pm

I agree. I don't like it either for all the reasons you mentioned. It looks too cheap.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed BOG animation but I was probably way too excited that I was watching a new DB film to care about the animation at the time. Totally reminds me that I should give it a re-watch sometime very soon...

Nothing beats the old style animation though. The way that technology has made the process of animating easier is definitely a plus for those involved in the process but it just takes something away from the "magic" that is there with old school techniques of animating before the advent of technological aid. Most modern looking animes are a real put off for me even though I can still enjoy them. Nothing beats an episode of DB or Yu Yu Hakusho for me.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

TenshiGokuu
Banned

Post by TenshiGokuu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm

I like cells eye pupils in the old animation, they look more fiercer. Now how i feel about the whole new and old animation, i honestly grew up with original dragon ball that came out in 1984, and just judging by the whole goku character, he has changed a lot. not just by the age or looks but also mostly his by different voice actors he had. i prefer japanese goku because he feels more original and more gokuish, also i like the king kai japanese dub over english. I prefer original DB and DBZ made by japanese.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:33 pm

The thing I dislike most in animation nowadays is the CGI use.
When bad used (most of the time) looks horrible.

Battle of Gods unfortunately had one of these moments.

3:17 - 3:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkfOsf0wro
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed BOG animation but I was probably way too excited that I was watching a new DB film to care about the animation at the time. Totally reminds me that I should give it a re-watch sometime very soon...

Nothing beats the old style animation though. The way that technology has made the process of animating easier is definitely a plus for those involved in the process but it just takes something away from the "magic" that is there with old school techniques of animating before the advent of technological aid. Most modern looking animes are a real put off for me even though I can still enjoy them. Nothing beats an episode of DB or Yu Yu Hakusho for me.
Modern digital technology has nothing to do with it. Yamamuro Tadayoshi and a plethora of bad key animators are the reason the modern stills look bad. Yamamuro's character designs have changed, he corrects key animators to stay on his models, and most animators are bad anyway. The actual animation from good animators like Oonishi Ryou (Bardock versus Chilled) or Shida Naotoshi (Gokuu and Beers flying through the Earth into space) is leagues above what the old films and television shows had.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
RocktheDragon wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed BOG animation but I was probably way too excited that I was watching a new DB film to care about the animation at the time. Totally reminds me that I should give it a re-watch sometime very soon...

Modern digital technology has nothing to do with it. Yamamuro Tadayoshi and a plethora of bad key animators are the reason the modern stills look bad. Yamamuro's character designs have changed, he corrects key animators to stay on his models, and most animators are bad anyway. The actual animation from good animators like Oonishi Ryou (Bardock versus Chilled) or Shida Naotoshi (Gokuu and Beers flying through the Earth into space) is leagues above what the old films and television shows had.
Who did the animation for the Ultimate Tenkaichi opening and the segment of Goku VS Beerus where FLOW's HERO plays?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 pm

I wish the newer stuff had a similar style to Yo! Son Goku & his friends return. I really prefer that style compared to Episode of Bardock and Battle of Gods.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Who did the animation for the Ultimate Tenkaichi opening and the segment of Goku VS Beerus where FLOW's HERO plays?
I second this. That Goku model for the first bit before the Dragon Ball Z logo comes in in the UT opening was the best I think I've ever seen.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm

TheAldella wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Who did the animation for the Ultimate Tenkaichi opening and the segment of Goku VS Beerus where FLOW's HERO plays?
I second this. That Goku model for the first bit before the Dragon Ball Z logo comes in in the UT opening was the best I think I've ever seen.
The Hero part is what JulieYBM was talking about, that was Naotoshi Shida, the Ultimate Tenkiachi/Blast, I'm not sure.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 pm

The HERO cuts were the work of Shida Naotoshi, a veteran animator who used to work on the Last House episodes of the first two series. For the Ultimate Blast Opening and cut scenes:

Character Design and Animation Supervisor: Yamamuro Tadayoshi

Key Animation: Ootsuka Ken
Kanno Toshiyuki
Wada Takaaki
Tate Naoki
Kawamura Atsuko
Kurita Shin’ichi
Komino Masahiko
Shida Naotoshi
Oonishi Ryou
Satou Masayuki
Nakajima Daisuke
Watanabe Nobuhiro
Nakamura Noriko
Miura Takahiro
Oota Akihiro
Kishita Kazue
Kamata Hitoshi
Oota Kenji
Karasawa Yu’ichi
Yabumoto Yousuke
Maeshima Hiroshi
Shoda Takahiro
Suwa Madoka
Pol Anonuevo
Francis Caneda
Rhem Valencia
Victor Balanon
Noel Anonuevo
Alfredo Reyes
Yamamuro Tadayoshi

Opening Animation Storyboards and Direction by: Nagamine Tatsuya
Storyboards by Ueda Yoshihiro
Director: Gotou Yasunori

The Director for the Opening Animation was the director of One Piece Film Z.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Something I've been saying since that remake of Zetsumetsu Keikakku. I'd much rather watch the original because of the beautiful Seigasha animation (even though they cheated a shit ton throughout). The new animation has it's pros and cons. A major pro would be the fluidity and motion we get now, shouts out to Naotoshi, and how clean and crisp it looks. A con is all the characters looking flat, and "Adobe Flash" quality.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The Director for the Opening Animation was the director of One Piece Film Z.
Yeah, that'd do it.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Something I've been saying since that remake of Zetsumetsu Keikakku. I'd much rather watch the original because of the beautiful Seigasha animation (even though they cheated a shit ton throughout). The new animation has it's pros and cons. A major pro would be the fluidity and motion we get now, shouts out to Naotoshi, and how clean and crisp it looks. A con is all the characters looking flat, and "Adobe Flash" quality.
Both the original and the remake had a very small number of drawings allowed. I don't think the original was very good because Hisada and Shimanuki really didn't have enough drawings to do their usual level of work.

The key animation credits for the remake are available here. Yamamuro Tadayoshi is listed as the top key animator, but that might not be indicative of the number of cuts he himself did so much as being a nod to his providing animation corrections. Hakamada Yuuji (from the Studio Carpenter episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT), Ootsuka Ken, and Shida Naotoshi are the only other key animators I recognize. Shida Naotoshi did the final attack on Hacchihyakku, but you can tell he was hit hard by a lack of drawings and little room to adapt his layouts to look better. Director Ueda Yoshihiro was too reliant on Yama'uchi Shigeyasu's storyboards for the original.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 pm

The old animation is better by far. More details and more damage on characters. I don't like how everyone looks so shiny in the NA. However auras and SSJ looks better on NA. However just give me Budokai 2 , Budokai 3, or Path to power animation. YSGAFR is neutral IMO.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 am

Though I personally dislike Yamamuro's art style which is too rounded and far from Toriyama's original style, differences in "styles" are relative that they cannot be directly connected with quality of art. In fact, I love Masahiro Shimanuki's style and it's very different from Toriyama's.

However, when it comes to Yamamuro's recent drawings, their biggest problem is that they're just poorly drawn. It's a matter lies beyond personal preferences. He is absolutely bad like Masayuki Uchiyama was. For example, in the case of that Cell shot in the OP, these parts are very awkward in comparison to the original:

1) The eyes are asymmetric.
2) The cheeks are unsymmetrically shaded.
3) The bridge of his nose is straight.
4) The right brow ridge looks flat.
5) The right ear is significantly smaller.
6) Adam's apple doesn't turn over by twisting neck sideways.
7) The sternocleidomastoid muscles are wrongly placed.
8) The entire face is too wide.

In short, he sucks at drawing the human body.

I corrected these parts by roughly photoshopping the image in a few minutes and the result no more bothers me.

Last edited by kei17 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 am

Quite interesting how much of a difference that makes.

Would be nice to see other examples broken down like this.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Quite interesting how much of a difference that makes.

Would be nice to see other examples broken down like this.

In this case:

1) The eyes are too big and rounded.
2) The pupils are too small.
3) The darker shadow on his left cheek is too narrow that it makes the entire face look bloated.
4) The turned-up nose.
5) The sternocleidomastoid muscles are too wide.
6) The left ear is too big and pointy.
7) The shadow cast by his head is awkwardly shaped.

A corrected version:

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

That Gohan picture really is lifeless compared to the original.
In the original Gohan looked shocked and desperate, the tears were drawn to look real (instead of being drawn like cartoon style tears, all white and no depth...) meanwhile in the new it looks like Gohan is a little pissy because someone ate his cookie.Image

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 am

Both old & new animation have their beautiful moments, and their shitty moments.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.