Quick question about the old DB Movie 2 DVD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Quick question about the old DB Movie 2 DVD

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm putting all the unreleased background music up on Youtube (see my signature), and I'm up to movie 2. I've assumed that the blue bricks and the movie 4-pack were all I would need, since they have 5.1 audio. However, on the 4-pack, *drumroll* movie 2 is not actually in 5.1! It's not even stereo! It's the same damn mono track copied five times over!

So, I'm reluctantly considering purchasing the old movie 2 DVD. Before I do that, I need someone to confirm that it is in 2.0 stereo on that disc.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Quick question about the old DB Movie 2 DVD

Post by Levlik » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 pm

I have the standard-sized three pack from 2005 before they went to the slim case. I'm pretty sure that was the first DVD release and it was only on tape before it. As far as I can tell the 2.0 track is indeed just mono, and as far as I can tell the same goes for the 5.1 track on this release, too. I can hear no difference whatsoever in any channels and disabling the center, left, right, etc. speakers just makes the audio quieter.

For what it's worth, I recall reading some comments about how Movie 2 on the four-pack is in poorer quality than it was on the initial DVD. I can't find any specifics, unfortunately; just something I vividly recall somebody mentioning here when it came out. I can't even remember if it was something wrong with the video or audio.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Levlik wrote:I have the standard-sized three pack from 2005 before they went to the slim case. I'm pretty sure that was the first DVD release and it was only on tape before it. As far as I can tell the 2.0 track is indeed just mono, and as far as I can tell the same goes for the 5.1 track on this release, too. I can hear no difference whatsoever in any channels and disabling the center, left, right, etc. speakers just makes the audio quieter.

For what it's worth, I recall reading some comments about how Movie 2 on the four-pack is in poorer quality than it was on the initial DVD. I can't find any specifics, unfortunately; just something I vividly recall somebody mentioning here when it came out. I can't even remember if it was something wrong with the video or audio.
That's a real shame.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah, that sucks big time. And I was really looking forward to those cues. :(

Oh well. You can just get what you can out of the TV series and call it good. And hope to God that Columbia of Japan gets their heads out of their asses and finally releases the DB score in its entirety someday.
-Joey

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 am

DB movie 3 from the movie pack (3 of them, movie 2, 3 and mystical adventure released in 1996) that FUNi released has unreleased music for the menu. It's that ominous track that plays a lot throughout the early arcs of Dragonball. It's in beautiful quality and I think it is the full track too.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 am

Attitudefan wrote:DB movie 3 from the movie pack (3 of them, movie 2, 3 and mystical adventure released in 1996) that FUNi released has unreleased music for the menu. It's that ominous track that plays a lot throughout the early arcs of Dragonball. It's in beautiful quality and I think it is the full track too.
Actually, no. The movie 3 DVD only contains music from within that movie, and nothing from the early arcs of Dragon Ball.

I believe the ominous track you're thinking of is this one, which is from DB's first arc, but the only track fitting the criteria of ominous in the movie 3 DVD menus is this one. And no, it's not the full track. At around the 30-second point, it loops back to the beginning and repeats over and over again.
-Joey

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:DB movie 3 from the movie pack (3 of them, movie 2, 3 and mystical adventure released in 1996) that FUNi released has unreleased music for the menu. It's that ominous track that plays a lot throughout the early arcs of Dragonball. It's in beautiful quality and I think it is the full track too.
Actually, no. The movie 3 DVD only contains music from within that movie, and nothing from the early arcs of Dragon Ball.

I believe the ominous track you're thinking of is this one, which is from DB's first arc, but the only track fitting the criteria of ominous in the movie 3 DVD menus is this one. And no, it's not the full track. At around the 30-second point, it loops back to the beginning and repeats over and over again.
Yeah, it is the second link, but I could have sworn it played before and it seems like a variation of it was haha. Hmm, well, one could get a clean rip of it from the DVD but it looks like you have one that is in full and clean.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:19 am

Attitudefan wrote:Hmm, well, one could get a clean rip of it from the DVD but it looks like you have one that is in full and clean.
It's not mine, actually. I just borrowed the link to it from kei17's second-to-last post on this thread.
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 pm

It's a real shame that DB movie 2 doesn't have an actual 5.1ch mix. I love how its score is mixture of baroque music and oriental tunes. However, I doubt that you would be able to successfully rip the unreleased tracks even if there's a true 5.1ch mix because over half of the movie takes place inside buildings or caves, so there would be echoes of voices and sound effects every here and there.

The only way to get clear versions of the movie-only unreleased tracks is making Columbia Japan release a new soundtrack CD, which I am working on.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:25 pm

kei17 wrote:The only way to get clear versions of the movie-only unreleased tracks is making Columbia Japan release a new soundtrack CD, which I am working on.
What are you planning to do?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
kei17 wrote:The only way to get clear versions of the movie-only unreleased tracks is making Columbia Japan release a new soundtrack CD, which I am working on.
I'm writing a product brief. Also, I've contacted the producer of DBZ BGM Collection.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 pm

kei17 wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
I'm writing a product brief. Also, I've contacted the producer of DBZ BGM Collection.
And do you think that there is the faintest chance of ever getting a complete (and I mean completely complete) BGM release?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
kei17 wrote:I'm writing a product brief. Also, I've contacted the producer of DBZ BGM Collection.
And do you think that there is the faintest chance of ever getting a complete (and I mean completely complete) BGM release?
I have no idea. If it turns out to be impossible, then I'll just restart ripping unreleased tracks myself.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:42 pm

kei17 wrote:I'm writing a product brief. Also, I've contacted the producer of DBZ BGM Collection.
Don't forget to mention about finding stereo/multitrack masters :)

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 pm

That's good to hear. :thumbup:

I guess all we can do now is hope something comes of it.
-Joey

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:I guess all we can do now is hope something comes of it.
We can do much more. For example, we can contribute to what kei17 is doing:

http://columbia.jp/company/en/
http://www.cme-bin.net/contact_us/ir/ (Inquiry)

日本
〒105-8482
東京都港区虎ノ門4-1-40
江戸見坂森ビル
日本コロムビア株式会社

NIPPON COLUMBIA CO., LTD.
Toranomon Mori Bldg.
4-1-40 Toranomon Minato-ku
Tokyo 105-8482
Japan

Contact them! Tell them what you want! Maybe a couple of messages from different parts of the world can have some influence. We have nothing to lose, but we have something to gain :)