Funimation DBZ movie packs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Funimation DBZ movie packs

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey how is the movie packs that funimation released three years ago? Do they have the English dub with the Japanese music in the background?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimation DBZ movie packs

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Yes they do :) and they dont look bad at all ^^ They pretty much have all the audio options the orange bricks have :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 pm

They're pretty much just repackaged versions of the steelbook-packed "double feature" remastered movie sets that released alongside the orange bricks a few years back. Unlike with the series, however, the remastering job did well by the movies for the most part, and the footage looks pretty good. They're missing alternate angles though (meaning you're stuck with English-language credits and titles), and the JP track audio quality on some (if not most) of them is pretty sub-par.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Kaboom wrote:They're pretty much just repackaged versions of the steelbook-packed "double feature" remastered movie sets that released alongside the orange bricks a few years back. Unlike with the series, however, the remastering job did well by the movies for the most part, and the footage looks pretty good. They're missing alternate angles though (meaning you're stuck with English-language credits and titles), and the JP track audio quality on some (if not most) of them is pretty sub-par.
Although the Japanese audio is inferior at least on Movie #13 the audio quality is stereo, I think. That's what was on the DBZ Movie Single #13 (4x3 AR release).

The reversible cover of Movie Single #13 is a cool bonus.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm

As a reminder, the designation of "stereo" is not related to a piece of audio's quality. All it means is that it is mixed through two separate channels.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 pm

That is certainly true to an extent, but Movie 13's Japanese audio on the DVD (At least the original release) is most certainly true stereo and it sounds fantastic. Not just because it was mixed in stereo, but because the original audio quality itself is intact like it is on Dragon Box The Movies. Movie 13 seems to be the only DBZ release (Aside from Kai for obvious reasons) that FUNi actually managed to receive good audio masters of.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:36 am

Did something change in the JP audio for Movie 13 between the steelbooks and the slimpack re-release? Because Movie 13 sounds awful on the steelbook version. It's extremely muffled and quiet.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:07 am

Kaboom wrote:Did something change in the JP audio for Movie 13 between the steelbooks and the slimpack re-release? Because Movie 13 sounds awful on the steelbook version. It's extremely muffled and quiet.
Yes. It sounds much better on the single. The Double Feature version is terribly muffled, and in mono as well. It's a damn shame because the footage of the DF is much better (which is usually the case, though movie 6 is ridiculously bright in a few shots, and movie 1's contrast is a bit too high).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:24 am

Yeah, the steelbook audio quality is really lousy and pretty much sounds no different than any other release. Funny thing is that the single's video quality is really lousy. No way to win unless you combine the two. I wonder what happened with the audio FUNi initially had.
Just a quick comparison:
Single
Steelbook

Now that I'm listening to it, I don't think the Japanese audio mix on the single release is in stereo, either. I'm just spot checking but so far everything is definitely mono.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:13 pm

IIRC, the audio of DBZ movie 13 is recorded in analog Dolby Stereo on film, so FUNi does have access to it. But the single has mono audio while it still sounds good, which is a little odd. I don't know how they could butcher it like that on the Double Feature.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry for bringing back this post but of these movie sets are in 16:9 or 4:3? I'm thinking about buying movie pack 2 so want to know of its worth 30 bucks for me to buy.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri May 30, 2014 1:42 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Sorry for bringing back this post but of these movie sets are in 16:9 or 4:3? I'm thinking about buying movie pack 2 so want to know of its worth 30 bucks for me to buy.
They're all 16:9, and the second movie pack is $15.99 USD on Amazon.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Anyone got anymore screenshots?
The one eledoremassis02 showed looks pretty good.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone got anymore screenshots?
The one eledoremassis02 showed looks pretty good.
Ya I would also like to see some more screenshots of this DVD set.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Here's shots from movie 4 and 5 (the only discs I own know) If you want any Dbox movie shots for certain screenshots I can supply those too :D
Lord Slug:
Coolers Revenge:

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Here's shots from movie 4 and 5 (the only discs I own know) If you want any Dbox movie shots for certain screenshots I can supply those too :D
Lord Slug:
Coolers Revenge:

Wow the quality of the movie pack sets look really good. I'm gonna buy the second movie pack tomorrow. By the way can you show screenshots of the dragon box version if you don't mind :D
Last edited by JEFFMAN219 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Lord slug Dragon Box (My box is stored away and I forgot to take cooler ones x(

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:03 am

Aside from the shitty looking English title cards and darkened scenes the PQ looks pretty decent, I'd have picked the DF's over the Singles had it not been that they didn't offer the Japanese credits for it like they've done in the Singles.
This is the reason why I avoid English-only Dragon Ball releases.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Aside from the shitty looking English title cards and darkened scenes the PQ looks pretty decent, I'd have picked the DF's over the Singles had it not been that they didn't offer the Japanese credits for it like they've done in the Singles.
This is the reason why I avoid English-only Dragon Ball releases.
No offense dude but I like the English title cards for the movies better because many of Japanese title cards for the movies flat out suck. There's another thread talking about the Japanese names of the movies and you will see what I mean.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:21 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Lord slug Dragon Box (My box is stored away and I forgot to take cooler ones x(
Wow the Dragon Box version of the movies looks nice as well. Maybe funimation will release it.