Do you think Dragon Ball uses too much pink?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you think Dragon Ball uses too much pink?

Post by flashback0180 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:07 pm

Do you think dragonball uses too much pink! to make the characters more badass..in a way.

Bump edit
More pink

Last edited by flashback0180 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do u think dragonball uses too much pink!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 pm

No such thing as too much pink!

Can't say I'd never noticed it before, but it's nice to see DB breaking down the great gender color divide. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/14/20!)
Current Episode: Videl and Violence in Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 7!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

They also use lot of blue, green, yellow, and orange.

I see what you mean, though. I just never thought about it. The only thing I see off is Goku's wristbands from GT. They don't match anything on his attire.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm

nahh is only anime thing.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Well, we often choose other colors than pink to represent power, but why not pink after all?
Maybe it's more of a cultural thing on our side to qualify such or such color - and especially pink - as ALWAYS representing this or that.
A number of people looking at the Super Saiyan God often have an initial reaction of "Pink hair?! For the ultimate warrior?! Pink?!"
They won't look for any nuance, to them it's immediately PINK, a color they deem incompatible with strength and fierceness, especially on a man.

The same goes for other stuff, I mean the Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII staff have their ultimate versions of enemies (Omega monsters) being completely flashy pink, and so is the ultimate weapon - aside from the temporary Ultima - that you can get from such a monster. And lots of people go "ugh, pink, really? For something supposedly powerful, impressive or even frightening?"

So I don't know if it's specific to Japan or if it's specific to those designers, but the notion of pink = power doesn't seem farfetched to them, just like for any other color.
I would suspect that in other countries, they would have been subconsciously constricted to not using pink for "badass" as well. If Dragon Ball had been made by a western mind or adapted by a western staff, I can easily imagine them NOT using pink because we tend to have that stereotyped vision of it like "pink = girly / sweet".

Maybe people should learn not to try putting everything in specific boxes and be more open-minded when it comes to artistic creativity, it's too bad to lock creativity into "this can traditionally only be this way" and "that can't properly be this way or it's a blatant mistake on the designer's part compared to what it's supposed to be"!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Some of those colours are debatable whether they're light red or pink, like for example Super Saiyan 4 Goku / Freeza forms / Uranai Baba / Dabura that could be light red or light purple but since I like the colour pink it's fine by me.

But is there somehow a problem with pink? Is that a girly colour for you?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hades
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Hades » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm

All that pink and you don't mention this?

Though vegeta looks like he'll feed me my own entrails for bringing this up.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball uses too much pink?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:50 pm

It's in the picture in the original post.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/14/20!)
Current Episode: Videl and Violence in Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 7!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:52 pm

I seem to recall a quote from a Toriyama interview (but don't remember the source) that since pink was considered a soft, seemingly nonthreatening color, he liked to use it for his villains because it went against expectations. Though at some point, since he used it so much (Vegeta's pink scouter, Freeza, Cell's pink eyes, Boo...), you'd think the Z Warriors would see the color pink and be like "oh shit, this guy's definitely bad news!"
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

I remember reading somewhere that back in the XVIII century, pink was the color used for boys, because it was derived from red, and so it was seen as a stronger color in a way, while blue evoked the calm of the sky and the ocean and because of this it was considered more appropriate for girls. I don't know when this rule was inverted though.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Pink and blue were switched in the early-mid 20th century, I think. I don't know why they switched them though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 pm

I will be honest. I didnt realize this until I saw your post.
Its ok to me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Nope not at all and I enjoy the overall color schemes of the anime. I think the pinkish colors of many of the outfits/characters/villains really help give the series a "pop" that helps some of the characters stay in your head a bit more. For instance, I always enjoyed Buu's colors being pink and I couldn't imagine his character any other way.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:58 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:They also use lot of blue, green, yellow, and orange.

I see what you mean, though. I just never thought about it. The only thing I see off is Goku's wristbands from GT. They don't match anything on his attire.
I actually think it fits great and in a way, steers the outfit from being too generic looking.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:20 am

sailorspazz wrote:Though at some point, since he used it so much (Vegeta's pink scouter, Freeza, Cell's pink eyes, Boo...), you'd think the Z Warriors would see the color pink and be like "oh shit, this guy's definitely bad news!"
To quote MST3K (from"Circus on Ice"), "And now, when you see pink, you're gonna think, 'We're doomed!'"

Actually, when I saw the title of this thread, Boo and his many forms were the only example that came to my mind. For some reason my mind filtered out all the other pinkness. Of course, that could just be because it's been a while since I watched the anime on marathon...
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:49 am

There's a Toriyama joke in here somewhere.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 am

Huh, this is the first time I noticed so many Pink.

I do think a certain space arc had way too much green though.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 am

Pinky is manly. Get over it :D
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:20 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:There's a Toriyama joke in here somewhere.
Is this what you're alluding to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_(manga) :wink:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 am

"Men in pink? how bizarre!"

I've never had a problem with it and I think it works well with Majin Buu at the very least.
I never really got the impression, that Dodoria was 'girly-looking' though it may have helped that he's a monster-type guy.
It would probably have annoyed me a bit, if Freeza and Buu had a very 'sharp' pink colour, instead of the more 'flat' colour they have.