Would you enjoy an official dub done by Team Four Star?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Would you enjoy an official dub done by Team Four Star?

Post by Captain Sauza » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:04 am

If DBZ were dubbed once again, would you be okay with Team Four Star doing the voices of all the characters? Or do you think their voices would suck in any serious DBZ script and only work with parody?
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you enjoy an official dub done by Team Four Star?

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:55 am

Most of the voices sound too comical if you get what I mean? So I think they should just stick to parody. They're great at what they do :thumbup:
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:01 am

Don't get me wrong, they are very talented, but I'm not sure I would be able to take it seriously - especially Kuririn's voice. Although I guess I have seen comedy actors put in convincing dramatic performances before, so maybe it could work.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:01 am

I would enjoy some of the cast (or at least some of their interpretations of the characters) as the actual official cast. Others, however, would either have to try a less comedic-sounding take or would have to be recast. As for the quality of the work, though, I would enjoy Team Four Star producing an official dub of the series. There's no question that the group as a whole would create an amazing dub with little to no mistakes in regards to faithfully reproducing the original personalities, speaking styles, and script for an English-speaking audience.

That, or they'll just totally imitate Big Green and I'll laugh my ass off.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:25 am

Well, if they gave new voices to some of the characters that currently sound quite comical, or tweaked them a bit, I think it would be good. I think they're fully capable of producing a good dub of DBZ.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:42 am

I'd watch it and with MasakoX doing the voices of Goku and Gohan it's a definite must.

This'd be more tolerable than watching with FUNimation's cast.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 am

It's intentionally done with a comedic slant; they've(well, KaiserNeko) have said things would be done differently if the end goal wasn't to make you laugh.

That being said, KaiserNeko's a great Trunks, parody or not.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:02 am

I would enjoy it.I know that most of the voices are comedical,but Kami and Goku's voices are great and they would fit in "serious" DBZ.I can imagine that.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:04 am

LittleKuriboh's Freeza and GeneralIvan's Cooler would be amazing in a serious dub. Not sure about MasakoX's Goku, but Kaiser has said he's got the talent, so I'll take his word for it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:08 am

I'd enjoy it for different reasons than either taking it seriously or laughing at it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:12 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:LittleKuriboh's Freeza and GeneralIvan's Cooler would be amazing in a serious dub. Not sure about MasakoX's Goku, but Kaiser has said he's got the talent, so I'll take his word for it.
From all those Abridged episodes that MasakoX has done you couldn't tell for yourself if he could do it or not?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:LittleKuriboh's Freeza and GeneralIvan's Cooler would be amazing in a serious dub. Not sure about MasakoX's Goku, but Kaiser has said he's got the talent, so I'll take his word for it.
From all those Abridged episodes that MasakoX has done you couldn't tell for yourself if he could do it or not?
That was for a parody. For an official dub, I would need to see more. I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lozjudai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lozjudai » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:45 pm

It would at least make Guru a lot more memorable character :lol:

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:This'd be more tolerable than watching with FUNimation's cast.

:roll:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Vice wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:This'd be more tolerable than watching with FUNimation's cast.

:roll:
If I'm to watch Dragon Ball Z in English then it's either by the Ocean Group (TV 1-53, Films 1-3) or BGD/TFS for comedic purposes.

I just can't watch an entire episode/film with the FUNimation DBZ/DBK dub, I do however like FUNimation's Dragon Ball dub with Stephanie as Goku.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Lozjudai wrote:It would at least make Guru a lot more memorable character :lol:
I think Guru is a character who would have to be recast, because the take on the character is the complete opposite of the original in every respect. Others could work pretty well, like Goku and Gohan. Also, characters like the Ginyu Force and Zarbon are pretty spot-on (seriously TFS Zarbon, Burter, and Jeice sound almost exactly like Sabat's performances)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:28 pm

I certainly think Team Four Star COULD do a serious non-parody dub if they wanted or were tasked to do so. They all certainly have a pretty deep understanding of the characters and the world they live in that would put FUNimation in the 90's to shame. I could point to MasakoX's work for the 'Goku Vs Superman' death battle as an example of voicing Goku in a less comedic context.

The question is less about whether they have the capacity to do it, and more about how people would receive such a dub, I think.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Kaboom wrote:I certainly think Team Four Star COULD do a serious non-parody dub if they wanted or were tasked to do so. They all certainly have a pretty deep understanding of the characters and the world they live in that would put FUNimation in the 90's to shame. I could point to MasakoX's work for the 'Goku Vs Superman' death battle as an example of voicing Goku in a less comedic context.

The question is less about whether they have the capacity to do it, and more about how people would receive such a dub, I think.
Well, DBZA is more or less the most popular parody series out there right now and I have met very few who dont like it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:43 pm

I usually joke how why I like their character voices more than the american dub. So yeah, definitely.

Aside of that, TFS in their way, made some less famous characters became more famous and likeable: Nappa, Guru, Popo...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Absolutely not. I have said it before and I will say it again. TFS ruined the fanbase. I don't think they deserve the title of "Official dub" if FUNimation hired them. Just like I don't think the pop star actors/actresses will deserve that title if Toei hired these to do the voice works. Seriously, all TFS did was create more divided fanbases than necessary.

So, no, I ain't going to enjoy the dub done by TFS. I prefer Funimation's Kai casts as is.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.