Manga UK Re-releasing DBZ Seasons Into Seperate Parts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Manga UK Re-releasing DBZ Seasons Into Seperate Parts

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 am

This is probably not much of a newsworthy story but it might be worth a mention:

With the news of Manga UK acquiring the licences to the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT "Season Sets"
has this re-release ofDragon Ball Z gone under the (dragon) radar here on Kanzenshuu, and elsewhere?

I was checking Amazon UK this morning and noticed some artwork for a DVD release I'd never seen before.
The Goku image is nothing new but the DVD was unfamiliar, and upon closer inspection it appears that Manga UK
have been re-releasing DBZ Seasons into smaller parts, containing a handful of episodes each, since 17th February 2014.

For example here is "Season 1 - Part 1" containing 7 episodes, in the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Sea ... gon+Ball+Z

Here's Manga UK's Dragon Ball Z page, showing listings for all 9 "Seasons" and 6 new seperated releases of "Season 1".

http://www.mangauk.com/item.php?s=drago ... es-1-7-dvd

I've skimmed through Manga UK's Facebook page and there is no mention of this release, instead it's all hype for DBGT "Season 2".

Does anybody see this release making it through to the Buu Saga? I'd honestly be surprised.
Perhaps they'll pull a FUNimation and cancel this release before it really gets off the ground.
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Manga UK Re-releasing DBZ Seasons Into Seperate Parts

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 am

This came out a while ago already.

I'll buy one of these DVDs when they charge only £1.50 (just repackaged Orange Bricks, is all).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 am

I'm aware it came out a while ago and that's why I mentioned it came out in February.
But judging on a quick search through Kanzenshuu and Manga UK there is no mention of it, which is why I've brought it up here.

I don't see how this release is a good idea. I'm not just crapping on it but who'd honestly pay for seperate releases when the full "Seasons" are available for less/more than whatever the final cost of buying the indvidual parts would be?

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 am

We discussed it in this thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=25667

Basically due to the fact that DBZ Kai is currently airing on Kix!, MangaUK wanted to aim a release at the kids currently watching it. They don't have the license for Kai so split up the Orange Bricks and sold them for a fiver because kids would be more likely to pick these up than the season sets. They were originally only meant to be sold in a supermarket chain (I think it was Sainsbury's) where they would get more exposure but Amazon, Zavvi etc picked these up as well. Apparently a deal fell through so only season one is being released in parts. Personally I think it was a smart business move but unfortunately it doesn't look like things worked out for them.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 am

I see. Thanks Solidus, I completely missed that thread!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:52 am

The rainbow that is that release is something I personally dislike...
I'd rather have FUNi's Blu-ray Season Sets over these any day.
One World. 🌐 🕊

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm

I was able to find the rear cover of Dragon Ball Z: Part 1 & Dragon Ball Z: Part 2 (courtesy of Zavvi) and it looks like the screenshots used for it were in 4x3 AR than 16x9 AR, or these ones weren't cropped that much (?).

Image Image

Runtime: 182mins
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Audio: English 5.1, 2.0 / Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English

Over at Play.com it's available for £4.74 but who'd really buy it anyway.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray