What Dragonball Z related gifts did you get for Christmas?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:07 pm

I only got Budokai Tenkaichi. I've spent the past hour and a half going through the tutorials (multiple times) and trying to get the hang of the controls. Still trying to remember everything. :lol:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:11 pm

I only got Budokai Tenkaichi. I've spent the past hour and a half going through the tutorials (multiple times) and trying to get the hang of the controls. Still trying to remember everything. :lol:
:x Lucky! I still haven't got to open it yet! Just a few more hours... :?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:21 pm

Merry Christmas, y'all.

I got Budoukai Tenkaichi/Sparking! today. Learned the controls mostly through actually playing.

Edit - Sorry it came out so short, was rushng. Anyway, I like it. Controllers are hard to get a grip on, but unlike... most people... I knew that "Budoukai" is just an evil marketing scheme. I just wish the Practice was playable. I learn controls faster when I use them.
Last edited by B-kun on Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:11 pm

B-kun wrote:Merry Christmas, y'all.

I got Budoukai Tenkaichi/Sparking! today. Learned the controls mostly through actually playing.
Same here, I learned the basics from the manual, played it for a bit, then done tutorial when I was stuck on the first battle gate. It's always better just trying to play it first.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:39 pm

I got Sparking!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:55 pm

:P I just opened Tenkaichi and the Dragonball Movie Box! :D I learned Tenkaichi from basically playing it, and I'm on the Saiyajin saga on Z Battle Gate. The Oozaru/Piccolo battle was great! I haven't got to watch the Dragonball movies yet, but I'll start with Sleeping Princess.

:P Now that I don't have to buy the movie box, I can get Dragon Quest VII!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:10 am

I don't think I got anything Dragonball related...no new manga Volumes that I don't own so...yeah.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:52 am

Does the DragonBall Movie Set count if I bought it for myself? It arrived a couple of days prior to Christmas Eve.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:28 am

Adamant wrote:Does the DragonBall Movie Set count if I bought it for myself? It arrived a couple of days prior to Christmas Eve.
Regardless of whether it counts as a gift, I hereby decree that you should give us an in-depth rundown of the Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle DVD, as well as inform us if there are any changes to the Mystical Adventure disc. (Browsing at the store revealed that the FUNi logo on movie 3 was the newer one with the blue background, but I have no idea if the changes go any further than that.)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:10 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
:x Lucky! I still haven't got to open it yet! Just a few more hours... :?
By my timezone, I actually posted that at night. Christmas marning was hours and hours before that. You must've been really off my timezone or something if you still couldn't open it (unless you don't open presents in the morning).

I was having my doubts about the game when I first started playing. I was worried I wasn't going to enjoy it. So after turning it off after my first play session, I wasn't thrilled.

Then I went back later that night and started having a blast. :P
I certainly found some of its flaws and annoyances (can get repetitive, trying to dodge or teleport can be difficult, special attacks aren't as flashy as before), but I'm still having a lot of fun.

It's not nearly as hard as I worried it would be. But then again, maybe I just haven't gotten to the really hard fights yet. Also, I've been playing on the easiest modes. But everyone (not necessarily just here) kept saying how hard the game was, even on Easy, so I was relieved. I've won almost every fight I've been in, and I was playing a LOT of matches. So right now, I'm pretty confident. But I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me sooner or later. :lol:

I got all the DragonBall wishes out of the way, and am currently working through the Saiyan Saga.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:41 pm

Regardless of whether it counts as a gift, I hereby decree that you should give us an in-depth rundown of the Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle DVD, as well as inform us if there are any changes to the Mystical Adventure disc. (Browsing at the store revealed that the FUNi logo on movie 3 was the newer one with the blue background, but I have no idea if the changes go any further than that.)
I dunno about Mystical Adventure, but the disc is very very shiny. :P Movie 4 had the new FUNi logo, but Movie 3 had the old one. The Sleeping Princess DVD's menu has about three things on it: Play, Set up, and Sneak Peeks.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:42 pm

Yay! I finally got DVDs of the Bardock and Trunks Special! I can't wait to watch them in DVD quality instead of my 1st Gen VHS fansubs (which degraded to 2nd or even 3rd gen quality from overwatching)! :D

If boxing day goes as planned ($60 for a new Gamecube since they need to burn off the ones that don't come with a game!) then I'll be getting a late x-mas gift of DBZ budoukai 1 and 2.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:37 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:I dunno about Mystical Adventure, but the disc is very very shiny. :P Movie 4 had the new FUNi logo, but Movie 3 had the old one. The Sleeping Princess DVD's menu has about three things on it: Play, Set up, and Sneak Peeks.
And what of the Movie 2 dub? Same as before? Are the themes the 1995 ones used in the 1998 VHS release, or the Japanese originals?

DO TELL.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:13 pm

The only Dragonball-related item I've gotten thus far is Supersonic Warriors 2. I'm really surprised at how much of an improvement this is over the first game, though I still find myself skipping through the dumb "What-If?" stories.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:20 pm

And what of the Movie 2 dub? Same as before? Are the themes the 1995 ones used in the 1998 VHS release, or the Japanese originals?

DO TELL.
Stephanie Nadolny isn't Goku in the dub, but Muten Roshi has the voice used in FUNi's re-dub and the latter of DBZ. Don't know about the others though, I sorta lost interest with the dub, so I went with the JP version. The 1995 DB theme is intact w/the English Dub, but the JP version has the JP opening. (duh) :P

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:11 am

I ended up buying the DB Movie Box Set and one of the "Best of" Soundtracks for DBZ...

Anyway, I hooked that information-whore Julian up with all the info he needed, so all is well there.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:22 am

I got Super Sonic Warriors 2 and I hate it, I played it for like 10 minutes and stoped but, I usually do this with games, I'll hate it then play it a little and a little more and a little more and I eventually like it. Oh and I also got Shonen Jump SuperStars and I can't beat level 2-2 :(

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:24 am

I got a PS2 and Budokai Tenkaichi, since I've been playing it with my friend who owned it beforehand, I did pretty good, and I learned some new mechanics!
Much fun, but there's no Memory Card....

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:50 am

Let's see. DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi (early Christmas present), DragonBall movie box-set, a Ps2 controller that has SSJ3 Goku and the DBZ logo layouted all around it, and... that's about it.

For the hell of it, I'll list other Christmas presents I've recieved that aren't "DragonBall/Z/GT" related. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Season 1, Smallville Season 4 (very early Christmas present), Star Wars Clone Wars Volume 2, and a $200 check from my folks.

Merry Christmas fellow DBZ fans, and may the good Lord bless us with a good following year.
14 years later

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:38 am

I got the Dragon Ball Z Collection DVDs, volumes 3 & 9.