Does the whole Bulma/Vegeta/Yamcha thing make any sense?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Does the whole Bulma/Vegeta/Yamcha thing make any sense?

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 am

Bulma started off hating and fearing Vegeta, yet all of a sudden she's willing to let him stay at her place? All of a sudden, she wants his D and gets his D? All of a sudden, Yamcha is a scumbag cheater?

None of this makes any sense to me. I know DBZ isn't prone to romance, but this is just ridiculous and out-of-character.

Do you think the whole thing makes sense?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Sylveon

Re: Does the whole Bulma/Vegeta/Yamcha thing make any sense?

Post by Sylveon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 am

Bulma and Yamcha's relationship was doomed from the start. They only got together out of convenience and they were always fighting whenever we saw them. Bulma was jealous and clingy, while Yamcha often left for years at a time. It seemed inevitable that they'd break up (for good) sooner or later. I love Bulma and Yamcha as characters, but they're both better off without each other.

But yeah, the Vegeta thing makes absolutely no sense. One of my friends thinks that Bulma inviting Vegeta (along with the entire Namekian race) to stay at her place is a sign that, despite her immaturity, self-centeredness, and temperamental behaviour, she's actually a kind-hearted person deep down and I kind of agree with that. And the "LOL Yamcha cheated" excuse is totally stupid(especially when they are so many plausible reasons for them to break up). But apparently Toriyama did something right considering all the Bulma/Vegeta shippers out there. (And, all things considered, Bulma and Vegeta are actually more suited to each considering they're both angry and narcissistic.)
Last edited by Sylveon on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 am

In DB before Yamcha met Bulma, he was scared of girls. Their adventure together is what brought them together. Long before Vegeta came on the scene, Yamcha was portrayed as a serial cheater (at least by Bulma). At the beginning of DBZ, they had broken up remember? So you could say that after Yamcha got over his fear of women, he started sowing his wild oats.

As for Vegeta, it was an issue of right place right time. My theory is (using the anime filler) during a time in between breakups, Vegeta got injured, and Bulma nursed him back to health. They both succumbed to the "Florence Nightingale effect" and got together. Subconsciously desiring Goku may have been what kept Bulma with Vegeta. In his quest to be as powerful as Goku, Vegeta may have stayed with Bulma to see if the family dynamic (e.g. Goku, Chi Chi, Gohan) played a part. Also he could "pump" Bulma for info on any weaknesses her friends may have. At some point it developed into a real relationship.

So does it make sense? Yes it does...in a weird warped way that could only happen in the Dragon Ball universe.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:04 am

the_abberration wrote:In DB before Yamcha met Bulma, he was scared of girls. Their adventure together is what brought them together. Long before Vegeta came on the scene, Yamcha was portrayed as a serial cheater (at least by Bulma). At the beginning of DBZ, they had broken up remember? So you could say that after Yamcha got over his fear of women, he started sowing his wild oats.

As for Vegeta, it was an issue of right place right time. My theory is (using the anime filler) during a time in between breakups, Vegeta got injured, and Bulma nursed him back to health. They both succumbed to the "Florence Nightingale effect" and got together. Subconsciously desiring Goku may have been what kept Bulma with Vegeta. In his quest to be as powerful as Goku, Vegeta may have stayed with Bulma to see if the family dynamic (e.g. Goku, Chi Chi, Gohan) played a part. Also he could "pump" Bulma for info on any weaknesses her friends may have. At some point it developed into a real relationship.

So does it make sense? Yes it does...in a weird warped way that could only happen in the Dragon Ball universe.
Basically all of that, totally agree with it.

And I never once thought that Bulma getting with Vegeta was out of the realm of possibility. It was just something that was always natural to me...taking into consideration Bulma's personality. She just kind of needed a guy like Vegeta who was as outspoken and intense as her, albeit in different ways.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:10 pm

the_abberration wrote:In DB before Yamcha met Bulma, he was scared of girls. Their adventure together is what brought them together. Long before Vegeta came on the scene, Yamcha was portrayed as a serial cheater (at least by Bulma). At the beginning of DBZ, they had broken up remember? So you could say that after Yamcha got over his fear of women, he started sowing his wild oats.

Did you suggest that Bulma at one point wanted Goku?

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 pm

No,it doesn't make sense for me.But Toriyama made it like that because of Future Trunks.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:01 pm

The way Mirai no Bulma would go on and on about Goku, you could tell there was something there, something heavy. Her eyes would literally sparkle.
I've always wanted them to get together, oh well. It's clear she's just smitten at the 23rd Budokai, and I think she was daydreaming about Goku on Planet Namek.

Goku also realizes bulma is pretty, well into her 40's.

Yamcha deserved better, at least a kid because he's not a bad guy at all.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I can't bring myself to hate any couple, but with Bulma/Yamcha, this couple, I don't support because I felt that all Bulma and Yamcha did was argue.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Gokuden wrote:The way Mirai no Bulma would go on and on about Goku, you could tell there was something there, something heavy. Her eyes would literally sparkle.
Trunks: "Was Goku-san really that strong?"
Bulma: "Oh yes Trunks, he was so strong!!*orgasm*"
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Q.Speaking of Yamcha, he was dumped by Bulma, wasn’t he?
A.That was a shock. I often spoke with Hiromi Tsuru-san, who plays Bulma; both she and I thought Bulma and Yamcha would end up together. And for Vegeta, of all people! It really was a shock. So when I met with Toriyama-sensei, I complained, “Why did it have to be like this?!” Then Toriyama-sensei said, “Come on; [Yamcha]‘s a cheater.” (laughs)
Well the voice actors for Yamcha and Bulma seem to think it was uncanny
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:35 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Gokuden wrote:The way Mirai no Bulma would go on and on about Goku, you could tell there was something there, something heavy. Her eyes would literally sparkle.
Trunks: "Was Goku-san really that strong?"
Bulma: "Oh yes Trunks, he was so strong!!*orgasm*"
Then she would lick her finger as her mouth water, and this suddenly turned into a fanfic.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:I can't bring myself to hate any couple, but with Bulma/Yamcha, this couple, I don't support because I felt that all Bulma and Yamcha did was argue.
Funny how perceptions can make us think things even though they don't actually happen. Would you believe that we don't see Yamucha and Blooma argue a SINGLE TIME in the entirety of the manga series? True, we do see Blooma while they're apparently within arguments, but that is only on TWO occasions. Every moment we actually see them together in the series, they're getting along perfectly fine.

I admit that's what always bugged me about the Dragon Books is that it took that one dubious line from the manga about Yamucha being a cheater and made all these references to these torrid affairs that he supposedly had. And likewise, there's one offhanded line in filler where Blooma makes a comment that she and Yamucha fight all the time, and everyone parrots it and believes it, even though it never actually happens!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Hmm...that said, I do remember them arguing a bit in Z, in stuff like the Buu and Cell arc. Is there truth to that, or is it just me?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I remember them bickering a bit during a filler episode in the Boo arc where they're looking for the Dragon Balls. But, again, that's filler, and I don't know even know if it should count regardless because all that amounts to is Yamucha throwing a ki blast at a dinosaur who ate the Dragon Ball, and Blooma yelling at him (one line) for doing so. But even if THAT counts, it exists outside of their relationship when the argument was that their relationship is unsupportable/unsustainable because they fought all the time.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Hmm...you know, people do change though, and not always for the better. Didn't Yamcha want to try fighting Daimoh even though he had a broken leg? If so, that's a far cry from the Yamcha that was screaming about how doomed they were when they were about to face Frieza and King Cold.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Yes, but that's par for the course for the character assassination Toriyama was putting the character through at that moment. He was trying to push the Blooma/Vegeta pairing at that point, so let's suddenly have Yamucha whine about being dragged along and be the last one to follow along when he'd never shown any inclinations to that behavior before. And then, a few chapters later, oh, yeah, he's also a womanizing cheater, even though nothing ever so much as hinted at that before.

And it's not that I would mind those changes. Hell, Yamucha (and most of the characters) desperately needed character development. The fact that Yamucha had experienced death, and that changed his outlook on life would have been a really cool idea, and it did generate a certain amount of pathos, I thought. But that's not why it's there. It's so pathetically obvious that it's there only to make him look undesirable and deserving of being dumped and shunted to the side.

Also, not really sure what that has to do with whether or not they fought all the time, but maybe you were replying to the topic in general.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Also, not really sure what that has to do with whether or not they fought all the time, but maybe you were replying to the topic in general.
Basically, yeah. I brought up the point that they might've fought a ton in the Cell and Buu arc, you brought up evidence to the contrary (you not remembering many arguments there either), so, that was all I had to say about that. So, I thought of something to say in regards to the topic in general instead.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Yamcha gets swept along in the same drift that Chichi does. Both have completely reasonable and natural reactions to events, but since they don't fit in Dragonball's twisted vision of the world, they're shoved to the side and treated a weak/annoying/whiners/etc/etc.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 am

↑Word up.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:I can't bring myself to hate any couple, but with Bulma/Yamcha, this couple, I don't support because I felt that all Bulma and Yamcha did was argue.
Funny how perceptions can make us think things even though they don't actually happen. Would you believe that we don't see Yamucha and Blooma argue a SINGLE TIME in the entirety of the manga series? True, we do see Blooma while they're apparently within arguments, but that is only on TWO occasions. Every moment we actually see them together in the series, they're getting along perfectly fine.
Kuririn did comment that they do fight a lot. Puar and Oolong did complain to Goku Bulma has been treating Yamcha badly (in the anime, at least). Hell, Yamcha didn't even wanna show his ass at the reunion because of her (the anime change it to financial reasons though).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:37 am

What reunion?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.