Dragonball Volume 9-Given Support...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Dragonball Volume 9-Given Support...

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:25 pm

Heya, everyone! Today I went to buy manga at my local Borders and noticed that Viz has reprinted Dragonball Volume 9. All the other volumes around it were untouched by the new Viz logo, so I decided to pick it up and see if the infamous 'Invisible Man vs. Yamcha' fight was left intact. But lo, and behold...Krillin pulls down Bulma's top to reveal...A BRA?!

What the hell people? Roshi's nosebleed still gets the Invisible Man covered, but why is he getting a nosebleed from seeing Bulma in a bra? I mean, I'm sure he's got dirty magazines with more revealing things than a fucking bra people! :x

Thank you Viz, for otherwise insulting our intelligence. :roll:

Oh, and I picked up DBZ volume 2, and apparently Piccolo castraited Gohan when he blew up the moon...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:34 pm

*sigh* I've given up on Viz. They aren't even worth taking seriously anymore.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:56 pm

An unpleasant turn of events.
Where's the beef?

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 pm

WHAT? This cannot be! I wanna see some proof of this.

On Viz's site...it seems that Dragon Ball Z, Volume 1 is now A Rated (And I'm pretty sure it was formely T). It also names the first 13 volumes as "SJ Edition". What, this means there's more torture than expected?

That's it. I'm going back to scans...

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:54 am

Well, it's a good thing you already got the uncut version or so I'm assuming, if not, better grab up an older print then. If your looking for unedited manga though, you won't find it in the SJ line-up, unless it's Rurouni Kenshin, or Bleach, or any other SJ manga title that is rated at least +13 or higher. But then even those have exceptions (I's), and then even in Japanese Weekly Jump, there seems to be less tolerence with nudity, even a girl being bare-chested (I can only think of Katsura's work that has shown bare-chested girls), so Shueisha may have a larger impact on edits these days.

Honestly though, I really don't see the need for the rating system, it just causes a need for bothersome censorship to conform to a standard and its not like video games where the ratings are mandatory just to get them on bookshelves. It's stupid really, but oh well...it's just a bra, right? Is not seeing Bulma's ample chest and nippies going to ruin everything? Girls are supposed to wear bra's anyways. >_>

But no, it's DRAGONBALL the greatest manga in the world with its vast artwork and unlimited literature value, therefore it must be unedited to truely enjoy its amazing story and characters, anything less would be uncivilized. It's an INSULT to us fans...the ones that still care enough for this holy war for unedited DragonBall. :wink:
Last edited by Izlude on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:09 am

Though I don't agree with their decision to censor it, considering I own the original Japanese manga, I'm not particularly concerned with the censorship (at least as far as the images go). What I do care about is the translations. I honestly just don't know when to trust them and when not to. If name changes is their only problem, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me...
Last edited by Socar15 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:17 am

I just say, why worry about translations when you know your reading a worthwhile title?

The only time I'd be very pissed is if it was a total hack job like DC CMX's Tenjou Tenge, which is just awful. Giving Bulma a bra, or censoring a middle finger, or down playing vulgar language though I could take in moderately small doses.

But when ya go out of the way to ZOOM-IN on panels (totally ruining screentones and gradients applied to the panels) and insert sound effects not present originally to cover up artwork, and stuff like that, its just crazy. a lot of people say Viz is like the 4Kids of the manga market, but then I look at DC CMX and see Tenjou Tenge with a 13+ Rating rather than a +18 and I think "What the hell...".

Hell, at least DragonBall can still get away showing lil Goku's naked penis.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:18 am

I just say, why worry about translations when you know your reading a worthwhile title?

The only time I'd be very pissed is if it was a total hack job like DC CMX's Tenjou Tenge, which is just awful. Giving Bulma a bra, or censoring a middle finger, or down playing vulgar language though I could take in moderately small doses.

But when ya go out of the way to ZOOM-IN on panels (totally ruining screentones and gradients applied to the panels) and insert sound effects not present originally to cover up artwork, and stuff like that, its just crazy. a lot of people say Viz is like the 4Kids of the manga market, but then I look at DC CMX and see Tenjou Tenge with a 13+ Rating rather than a +18 and I think "What the hell...".

Hell, at least DragonBall can still get away showing lil Goku's naked penis. Hell, even Cartoon Network showed some lil' saiyan penis here and there.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:41 am

*falls down Anime style*

Those morons!!!! How could they do such a stupid thing. It's one thing for censorship in the Anime. But how dare they touch Toriyama's work. BASTARDS!!!

Can you show a scan or something?
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:53 am

I don't think anyone is gonna buy anymore DragonBall manga now seeing its become more "tainted", so no scans for you! :lol:
Those morons!!!! How could they do such a stupid thing.
Censorship >> Society
But how dare they touch Toriyama's work. BASTARDS!!!
So it's not okay to censor Toriyama's work, but it's ok to censor the OhGreat! one? :(

*smacks Great Saiyaman with a bottle of Vodka that has become a bottle of Tonic Water*

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 am

But no, it's DRAGONBALL the greatest manga in the world with its vast artwork and unlimited literature value, therefore it must be unedited to truely enjoy its amazing story and characters, anything less would be uncivilized. It's an INSULT to us fans...the ones that still care enough for this holy war for unedited DragonBall.
You know what's quite hilarious? I remember (I myself don't own any of the manga volumes) on the inside of the book, it stated "Because of Dragon Ball's importance and history, we are proud to bring it to you in its unedited, unflopped format. Enjoy!"
They write that in the same freakin book where they censor something! Quite hilarious!

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:01 am

So it's not okay to censor Toriyama's work, but it's ok to censor the OhGreat! one?
I don't know what you mean.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 am

Was that before or after the SJ line was introduced? All of Viz's manga I have seen that are edited, especially of the SJ line may say something like "This manga may have edits and alterations made from the original Japanese" or something. They do that with Zatch Bell.

But ya know, seeing the 16 volumes of DragonBall Viz released once already were uncut, a lil bit of tracking down and ya could nab'em. Otherwise, you gotta settle with what you can get, until the next "OMG WE WANT UNEDITED DB!" petition comes along just like 5 years ago.

It won't succeed this time though because it's DragonBall - it's over with, it's done away with, nobody cares enough anymore for it edited or not (outside of this forum anyways). It's all about Naruto now!

Which interestingly enough, Viz has also re-issued new printings of the earlier Naruto volumes and changed all of the english technique names back into their original japanese, so "Art of the Doppelganger" is no more, it's all "Kagebunshin no Jutsu" aka Shadow Clone Jutsu now.

Hmph. :roll:

Now I wish Tokyopop could get Sailor Moon again...

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:49 am

You know, I find it funny, I bought this same graphic novel not one year ago, and mine was totally uncensored and translated/adapted by Viz. Here's a pic to prove it. Sorry for the cruddy quality, but I took it with a webcam, so forgive it if it's not the brightest pic, but it shows ya' what you're missing out on Viz's edit-version. Warning: It does show Bulma's underaged exposed breasts, and since this is from a T rated manga, please make sure you're at least 13 years of age or older before clicking that link.

Ah great, now people are gonna call me a hypocrite when I say I'm an anime purist, oh well, I still have my pride. 8)
14 years later

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:02 am

Izlude wrote:I just say, why worry about translations when you know your reading a worthwhile title?
Because darn it, I want to read what Toriyama wrote, not what Viz decided to change it to. It really does make a difference to me, believe it or not. I've read manga that has been translated so incorrectly that it actually changes the story.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:33 am

Well I'm just glad I have all of the earlier SJ editions for DB, which are quite unedited, Popo lips aside.

I've lost all respect for Viz, but my hands are really, really tied for the last few volumes so I'm going to whore those up, make sure I know every little thing they changed (as I do now) and then...be sure to take Japanese and Import and Kanzeban someday.

Til' then...anyone wanna start a petition?

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:48 am

Funny. I bought that volume just last Tuesday. :lol:
I don't know how many english releases there are of these, but mine is the red Shonen Jump version. And it does have the nudity. I don't think they censored images in these ones. They left everything in in volume 1 and 2 as well, and some other one where Bulma gets her Dad's dirty magazines in a capsule. I can only comment on volumes 1-7 and 9, since those are the only ones I have.

I have some Viz ones; they're slightly bigger in dimension, and more expensive. I wish they released the uncensored, cheaper Shonen Jump ones earlier. Then I wouldn't have lost the money on Viz's censored ones. :?

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:10 am

Socar15 wrote:
Izlude wrote:I just say, why worry about translations when you know your reading a worthwhile title?
Because darn it, I want to read what Toriyama wrote, not what Viz decided to change it to.
Toriyama can't write english though so unless you buy the original japanese.... XD

No, but seriously, something is always lost in translations and unable to attain 100% perfection without every character sounding the same. Then there's the process of adaption/localization and making the manga "suitable" for its target audience. Thats a fact and its something all the big manga publishers in the USA (and other countries) practice. If you can't accept that, then your better off buying the original japanese if thats want you really want.

Some titles get off the hook just fine maintaing almost all of its content from the original japanese, while some aren't quite as lucky, or just doomed from the start to an awful fate.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm just happy I got the first printings of the SJ edition, the uncut ones because It's just easier for me to spend $8 on a manga rather than $20 on a DVD. I mean, what the hell crawled up Viz's ass and died? They used to be the best, uncut DB and One Piece, but now we've got bra's and Zolo. :(

If anyone working for Viz is reading this, quit being the bitch of parents who are afraid of breasts.

:P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:19 pm

Isn't it nice to see that the petition from so long ago to keep Dragon Ball uncensored is now a complete waste of time?