Why Were Villains Handled So Poorly in DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Why Were Villains Handled So Poorly in DBZ?

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:23 am

Going from Freeza's complete lack of personal backstory and repetitive fighting to Cell's lack of a goal and boringness to Buu being an annoying brat in some forms and bland as hell in others, why did Toriyama seem to just not try with the villains in DBZ?

I understand that DBZ isn't story heave at all, and I'm not asking for some background sob story for every single villain, but good lord, when I go back and read the manga or watch the anime, the poor handlement of the villains sticks out like a sore thumb.

What do you think?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: Why Were Villains Handled So Poorly in DBZ?

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am

thatdbzguy wrote:Going from Freeza's complete lack of personal backstory and repetitive fighting to Cell's lack of a goal and boringness to Buu being an annoying brat in some forms and bland as hell in others, why did Toriyama seem to just not try with the villains in DBZ?

I understand that DBZ isn't story heave at all, and I'm not asking for some background sob story for every single villain, but good lord, when I go back and read the manga or watch the anime, the poor handlement of the villains sticks out like a sore thumb.

What do you think?
Personally, I very much enjoy almost all of the villains. My favorite would probably have to be Freeza, and the villain that I appreciate the least is Cell.

I think they all serve their purposes as being a presence to band the Z fighters together, and I enjoyed the fact that many of Toriyama's creations had various transformations as well. With Maijin Buu, it got to the point where I think Toriyama was very self-aware of making almost every villain have transformations that it become more of a joke and spoof of that approach.

So to answer your question, everything was pretty much satisfactory to my tastes. Cell always had a defined goal to me, and that was a result of his "being" being a mixture of different individuals, which I guess makes his motives a bit hard to pin down. But my main problem with Cell was just that he seemed a little bland, at least compared to all of the other villains.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 am

Cell goal was be the ultimate life form in the Universe. If Cell destroy the Earth, he would travel across the universe and become stronger by absorbing another powerful fighter. I think Freeza and Cell had good goals. I can agree with Buu not having any real goals, but his character was fun enough for me to enjoy it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 am

Freeza doesn't need a backstory, he's an evil tyrant who sells planets that he takes over that's all we need to know. And it's pretty obvious Freeza is the way he is simply from his upbringing.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 am

I'd say Buu was handled best out of the lot: Ancient Horror that would have Freeza shit himself and actually lives up to that reputation (though were it up to me, I'd have had Buu's backstory be that it was created to be a weapon in DB's equivalent of Ragnarok)
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am

thatdbzguy wrote:What do you think?
I think they weren't "poorly handled". No need to be condescending with your opinions. The question should be "Do you think villains were poorly handled in DBZ?" instead of "Why Were Villains Handled So Poorly in DBZ?" as if that was a fact.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:07 am

They don't need backstories; they have personalities. Admittedly, Cell might be a low rent Freeza, but he has such a distinct design and varied goals it can be ignored. That's where Toriyama shines; what can't be conveyed through story or dialog is there in his amazing art.

A pretty interesting contrast between Cell and Freeza is Cell's perceived perfection is real; he doesn't believe anyone or anything is better than him. Freeza is far more pragmatic. He knows he is powerful, but he's cautious. Cell would have never wiped out Planet Vegeta, and instead would've opted to take them all on as Super Saiyans if he could.

There's not a lot to say about Buu. He is ridiculous... and that is the point. I like that he's ridiculous. As far as a "threatening" villain goes, where do you go after Freeza and Cell(ETA: Toei's movie villains post-Cell are essentially monsters[Broly, Janemba, Hildegarn, Android 13], and Bojack, I suppose, is in the same vein as Freeza and Cell)? We've had a pretty natural progression of antagonists in terms of their threat level, which is kind of amazing considering how damned long the series is(I'd argue Piccolo Daimao brings the hammer down faster and scarier than Vegeta, though). And if you factor in Battle of Gods, Beers is a decent next step after Buu. He's a combination of serious and silly, and his design is pretty unique amongst DB characters in general and not just the enemies. I think Toriyama has always had a good head on his shoulders in regards to things like this. I like his comment that those "ears" he gives his enemies are simply the type of feature he believed monsters in his dreams had.

So... they weren't handled poorly at all! They all fulfilled their purpose and serviced their arc.
Last edited by B on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:06 am

You say "DBZ" specifically. Were the villains in DB really that much different? I mean, Daimao's my personal favorite, but he's just as flat and "bwahaha evil" as anyone in Z. And that's fine. For what DB's trying to be, villains don't need depth--just wicked charm.

Mind you, I did find problems with each of the "Big three" Z villains (Freeza loses his menace after Goku becomes Super Saiyan and Cell and Buu both have moments where they become Freeza copycats). But to say that they're "handled poorly" is an exaggeration.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:You say "DBZ" specifically. Were the villains in DB really that much different? I mean, Daimao's my personal favorite, but he's just as flat and "bwahaha evil" as anyone in Z. And that's fine. For what DB's trying to be, villains don't need depth--just wicked charm.

Mind you, I did find problems with each of the "Big three" Z villains (Freeza loses his menace after Goku becomes Super Saiyan and Cell and Buu both have moments where they become Freeza copycats). But to say that they're "handled poorly" is an exaggeration.
How is making your villains copycats of a previous villain not poor handlement?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Yeah they are just evil for the sake of being evil, and they generally become less interesting when the actual fight begins.

For Freeza, it was the constant instant transformations that turned me off. For Cell, after he beats Trunks it doesn't seem like he has a proper goal anymore and becomes boring.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Why does Freeza need a backstory? Are we going to try and boil his behavior down to one event?
he has a proper goal
Define proper goal. I'd say instilling fear and destroying stuff is as suitable and realistic a goal for that sort of being as most other goals.
Freeza loses his menace after Goku becomes Super Saiyan
Given how menacing he is for as long as he is, and how brutal he was, it's fitting that he gets his comeuppance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 pm

How is making your villains copycats of a previous villain not poor handlement?
When you make it work in spite of that.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:Cell and Buu both have moments where they become Freeza copycats
As if Freeza wasn't a Vegeta copycat.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 pm

They weren't poorly handled though.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Looking at most of the recent stuff that's been coming out, I now appreciate the lack of backstories for the proper villains.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 pm

It's all about the execution. I guess in that case Toriyama just ain't good with backstories.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

There aren't very many villain back-stories that I can get behind. At best, it's usually apathy. And at worst, Obito Uchiha.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Well with Obito its the execution that ruined it. Way too much monologue, flashback, and I'd another see another reason other than the Rin subplot.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Every villain is obsessed with destroying Earth in this anime for no reason.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:Every villain is obsessed with destroying Earth in this anime for no reason.
That's not true. Piccolo Daimao was born out of God's hate for humanity, Piccolo Junior showed no desire to destroy Earth, Raditz wanted to wipe out humanity for profit, the only time Vegeta wanted to destroy Earth was out of vengeance, ditto for Freeza, Cold wanted to destroy Earth to be pragmatic, Cell said he honestly didn't care either way, none of the Boos are obsessed with Earth's destruction - Pure Boo just did it because he could. And I don't think anyone prior to Daimao expressed an interest in destroying Earth.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!