Aspects you wish were expanded upon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Aspects you wish were expanded upon

Post by Hades » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Other World: it was implied that when Goku was in the otherworld, he had encountered things that he had never thought were possible. It would have been nice in the Manga to have had at least a chapter or two dedicated to the world beyond death.

The nature of being a Kami: How are Kami appointed? What were their responsibilities? How did the Kaioshin/Kaio/Kami hierarchy work?

The Saiyans themselves: How they ended up in the servitude of Freeza and what led to their eventual downfall would have made for an interesting side-story.

The Universe beyond Earth an Namek: Such a rich and vibrant environment for a lot of stories was disregarded, which is a damn shame.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Aspects you wish were expanded upon

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Hades wrote:Other World: it was implied that when Goku was in the otherworld, he had encountered things that he had never thought were possible. It would have been nice in the Manga to have had at least a chapter or two dedicated to the world beyond death.

The nature of being a Kami: How are Kami appointed? What were their responsibilities? How did the Kaioshin/Kaio/Kami hierarchy work?

The Saiyans themselves: How they ended up in the servitude of Freeza and what led to their eventual downfall would have made for an interesting side-story.

The Universe beyond Earth an Namek: Such a rich and vibrant environment for a lot of stories was disregarded, which is a damn shame.
We've seen how gods are appointed. The previous god asks some guy who seems like he'd fit the job, and that person either takes the job or declines it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hades wrote:Other World: it was implied that when Goku was in the otherworld, he had encountered things that he had never thought were possible. It would have been nice in the Manga to have had at least a chapter or two dedicated to the world beyond death.

We've seen how gods are appointed. The previous god asks some guy who seems like he'd fit the job, and that person either takes the job or declines it.
What I meant was how the first God is appointed for each planet with a civilisation. However, I'd also like to see how other civs approached succession (maybe a kami takes on an apprentice on one planet, or another civ could have a Priest caste and the Kami is like a pope)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Everytime something is expanded upon in Dragon Ball, we have hundred-page threads arguing about how it's ruined everything and Toriyama should be kept away from the series forever. :P

I can't remember if I read this somewhere or thought it up myself, but Uranai Baba forming her team of fighters would be a fun story to me. Or what does Lunch do all day besides fawn over Tenshinhan.

I am personally tired of Saiyans/Freeza/space travel. The Dragon World itself is so damn interesting, and while I understand the story needed to progress to larger heights, playing around in those waters for a little while longer before Raditz shows up would not have annoyed me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:30 pm

@B

I'd like to have seen a lot more than "new space planet of hats". When I talk about "the universe beyond Earth and Namek", I am talking about civilisations which have mastered Ki in ways that would make Vegeta's skin permanently turn green (like creating stars or no longer needing a physical body) or created marvels that even Freeza would respect.

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Hades wrote:@B

I'd like to have seen a lot more than "new space planet of hats". When I talk about "the universe beyond Earth and Namek", I am talking about civilisations which have mastered Ki in ways that would make Vegeta's skin permanently turn green (like creating stars or no longer needing a physical body) or created marvels that even Freeza would respect.
Freeza? Respect? Wait freeza respecting something? Pshhh................

Anyway, I would like to see more of Teen Gohan. I really love that character at that time, and outside of the cell games, and movie 9, he is NEVER expanded upon. I want him to have more fights darn it...
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 pm

I would've liked to seen a little of 17 and 18's life before becoming artificial humans.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 am

Why Goku's outfit changed at the end of the series.

Yeah you could just say it's because he felt like a change of clothes but c'mon, he wore those same colours for years.

Oh and I wouldn't mind seeing Goku's adventures on planet Yardrat.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 am

I felt Buu Arc started showing signs of downhill post-Babidi's death. Plot got stagnant at this point.

I wish Toriyama had expanded upon Fat Buu's characterization. Was shown to learn attacks of the opponent, but wasn't really fleshed-out.

Craving badly for Back-story on Babidi's minions. Anime showed via quick succesion of events on how Babidi got Deborah under his control. As diabolic as Babidi was, wished he had more Minions in various parts of the Galaxies. Heck, an Avengers-kinda invasion point would've added more weight & tension while Fusion Dance & Old Power-up sessions were handled.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 am

thekingfallsdown wrote:Anyway, I would like to see more of Teen Gohan. I really love that character at that time, and outside of the cell games, and movie 9, he is NEVER expanded upon. I want him to have more fights darn it...
10 years old is NOT A TEENAGER. Damn you Atari! Besides what would there be to show anyways? He gave up fighting and permanently took up studying for the next 7 years. Not exactly exciting.

As for the topic, call me humble, but there's nothing really think is worth expanding upon outside the 520 chapters of manga. Any attempts of doing so have been mediocre at best. Unless someone decides to reboot the series, everything's just fine as is.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am

Personally, I wish they would have expanded more on Vegeta's childhood. We got Goku's childhood in the original DB, but we've only seen flashbacks and limited material on Vegeta during that period. Also, Yunzabit Highlands. It's such a mysterious, eerie place, that seems like it deserves some sort of expansion, beyond being the location of Kami's ship.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I still wouldn't mind seeing some backstory fleshing out for the human characters like Kuririn, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan. Or heck, even Roshi. Also wouldn't mind seeing something done with Pan and Oob, but I feel like that would come more from another 'new story' rather than an 'expansion' type thing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Those 5 years in-between DB and Z. The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai was so much fun and I really like where everyone's strengths are at that point in the story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!