If Dragon Ball was rated by the MPAA

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

If Dragon Ball was rated by the MPAA

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:47 pm

So let's pretend that the sagas in the Dragon Ball anime was a series of movies instead of a TV series. If every saga uncut was rated by the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) then what rating do you think DB, DBZ, GT and Kai would be? I would say DB, DBZ and Kai would be PG-13 while GT would be PG. GT has some brutal moments, but nothing violent enough to push it to be PG-13. Fusion Reborn was rated PG, so I think the DBZ Movies 1-13 would be rated PG as well. Movie 9 is the most violent DBZ movie in my opinion. I don't remember it being violent enough at a PG-13 level.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: If Dragon Ball was rated by the MPAA

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Well if stuff like Batman:Under the hood and The Dark Knight returns gets away with pg-13 (U.K and Aus rated 15 and Mature respectively) DBZ will be PG-13.

Speaking of UK ratings they jumped from PG to 12. For Z and GT

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:55 pm

DB Movies 1 and 2 could also pass for PG. NOT Movies 3-4, though. General Tao's kills are a bit brutal. And DB Movie 4 had too much "risque" content.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Movie 12 has a demon from Hell causing havoc in Other World and Earth. It got away with a PG rating.
She/Her

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:37 pm

The first couple sagas of DB would be rated R. ;)

Then the rest PG/PG-13
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:59 pm

Nothing in DB is close to being R rated. Titanic got away with showing breast and it was PG-13. There's PG-13 comedy films that came out in theaters in recent years that got away with brief nudity and crude humor. Even Viz's manga of pre-DBZ manga is 13+.
She/Her

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:47 pm

The only issue I could see that would bring it close to an R rating is the instances of nudity. And I'm not sure if the rules would be the same considering that it's animated...

The MPAA has pretty weird rules to begin with. My favorite example is that you can get away with a PG-13 rating and use the f-word, but only if you use it once. Two or more uses of the f-word, and it's an automatic R.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Funny enough, Australia gave Fusion Reborn a "G" rating (only film to receive it) while New Zealand gave it a "M" rating. Not sure what was up with that.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Funimation's DVDs are TV-PG, which I think is an appropriate broad choice, and likewise, though they are not equivalents, I could not see Dragon Ball movies breaking PG outside of questions of nudity. The violence is just too fantastic and hardly bloody enough for me to considering any of it PG-13. Anyone have any PG-rated animation to compare?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:16 am

Watership Down was PG and it was pretty brutal from what I can remember.
She/Her

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:03 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Funimation's DVDs are TV-PG, which I think is an appropriate broad choice, and likewise, though they are not equivalents, I could not see Dragon Ball movies breaking PG outside of questions of nudity. The violence is just too fantastic and hardly bloody enough for me to considering any of it PG-13. Anyone have any PG-rated animation to compare?
For Z and GT, yes. The Dragon Ball DVDs are TV-14, however, likely due to excessive risque humor.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 pm

I watched This Film Is Not Yet Rated and learned that the MPAA rating guidelines are pretty inconsistent and politically motivated. It's a good documentary for anyone interested in the movie industry.

That being said, I personally would rate DBZ as PG-13.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:58 pm

It depends on the era we're talking about. Nowadays, I'd say Dragon Ball would probably get a PG-13 due to some minor instances of nudity and blood or whatever. I actually think the Z era would get a lower rating than the "Dragon Ball" portion due to nudity alone.

If it was up to me, I'd give it a PG. It's really no worse than something like Star Wars or Indiana Jones where people get horrible fucking murdered all the time and they were given PG ratings (though, most were released before the inception of PG-13 but you get the point).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Insertclevername wrote:It depends on the era we're talking about. Nowadays, I'd say Dragon Ball would probably get a PG-13 due to some minor instances of nudity and blood or whatever. I actually think the Z era would get a lower rating than the "Dragon Ball" portion due to nudity alone.

If it was up to me, I'd give it a PG. It's really no worse than something like Star Wars or Indiana Jones where people get horrible fucking murdered all the time and they were given PG ratings (though, most were released before the inception of PG-13 but you get the point).
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Doom is the movie that actually led to PG-13 being made.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Yeah, I thought about adding that but decided not too since I felt like I was rambling enough. :P

Come to think of it, I'd say Dragon Ball's violence is more tame than anything from Temple of Doom.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Some of the Hammer Dracula films were PG and had some violent moments. In the 80's, DB and DBZ could get away with a PG rating. I think now they would be both PG-13.
She/Her

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Funny enough, Australia gave Fusion Reborn a "G" rating (only film to receive it) while New Zealand gave it a "M" rating. Not sure what was up with that.
Everything else got an M rating in Australia, but IIRC our M rating is on par with America's PG-13 rating while the US's M is more similar to our MA.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Was Wizard market as a family picture and it got away with some pretty dark images. Fusion Reborn is more tamer then that movie was.
She/Her

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Funimation's DVDs are TV-PG, which I think is an appropriate broad choice, and likewise, though they are not equivalents, I could not see Dragon Ball movies breaking PG outside of questions of nudity. The violence is just too fantastic and hardly bloody enough for me to considering any of it PG-13. Anyone have any PG-rated animation to compare?
For Z and GT, yes. The Dragon Ball DVDs are TV-14, however, likely due to excessive risque humor.
I had forgotten!
ringworm128 wrote:
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Funny enough, Australia gave Fusion Reborn a "G" rating (only film to receive it) while New Zealand gave it a "M" rating. Not sure what was up with that.
Everything else got an M rating in Australia, but IIRC our M rating is on par with America's PG-13 rating while the US's M is more similar to our MA.
I'm aware, thanks to Dragon Ball :lol: How do the letter's scale? I could see "Mature" and "Mature Audiences", but then I don't know.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada