Times when a Dub > Original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Times when a Dub > Original

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Boo talk. What's that?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Boo talk. What's that?
It's that obnoxious speech pattern the dub gave him. He'd say things like "why you no like Buu?"

I was referring to this in your previous post:
Why you say "Also Gm opinion"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Brian Drummond sounded kinda scary in the "EEEGGGHHHHHH, I'LL GET YOU FOR THIIIIIS, YOU WON'T ESCAPE... MY WRAAAATH. I'LL GET YOU! YOU'RE ALL MINE!" bit. Ryo Horikawa didn't live up to it's scariness!

Replace all that with "I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS! YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRATH. I'LL KILL YOU ALL! YOU'RE DEAD! BASTARDS!" and it's full-on scary. Vegeta was maaaaad.

I gotta get the Rock the Dragon set soon, it's gonna go out of print eventually and I'll be sad and you'll all sell it for $450...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

ABED wrote:
It's that obnoxious speech pattern the dub gave him. He'd say things like "why you no like Buu?"

Korean my naive language. Not English. I suck at typing English

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:

Korean my naive language. Not English. I suck at typing English
That explains a lot. Certainly makes simple grammatical mistakes far more understandable and bearable.
Brian Drummond sounded kinda scary in the "EEEGGGHHHHHH, I'LL GET YOU FOR THIIIIIS, YOU WON'T ESCAPE... MY WRAAAATH. I'LL GET YOU! YOU'RE ALL MINE!" bit. Ryo Horikawa didn't live up to it's scariness!

Replace all that with "I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS! YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRATH. I'LL KILL YOU ALL! YOU'RE DEAD! BASTARDS!" and it's full-on scary. Vegeta was maaaaad.
I concur that Drummond was awesome in that scene, however, less is often more. I don't think having him cuss makes the moment more terrifying.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 pm

ABED wrote:
I couldn't disagree more about Yamcha. I think there are plenty worse than Yamcha. Not only is Cole more than decent as Yamcha, even Sabat is good. His Yamcha is among the more natural voices he uses.
Like who?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:45 pm

I still don't think that any dub surpassed the original.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:57 pm

ABED wrote:I concur that Drummond was awesome in that scene, however, less is often more. I don't think having him cuss makes the moment more terrifying.
I was kinda joking, like how in the "uncut" DBZ dub it's more "uncut" because they mention death and add needless swear words.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 pm

I like Funi's music better at times. Sometimes it would be nice if they cut back but I also think the original should have more music at times so it depends on the scene.
The first scene that pops into my head is Vegeta's final flash vs Cell. I like the Funi Z version of that better than the original.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:
I couldn't disagree more about Yamcha. I think there are plenty worse than Yamcha. Not only is Cole more than decent as Yamcha, even Sabat is good. His Yamcha is among the more natural voices he uses.
Like who?
Matt Smith (not that one, the other one) who played Tenshinhan in the Ocean dub, Peter Kelamis is awful, Mark Britten is atrocious, Justin Cook, and Kyle Hebert's Ox King just to name a few.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 pm

ABED wrote:Peter Kelamis is awful.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 pm

His delivery is Goofy and awful. Here are a few lines that make me cringe (set aside the fact that they're horrible lines, the delivery makes them far worse):

Movie 3 when he and Gohan are in the barrel taking a bath - "No, heat it up a bit more"
Goku picking a sports drink after finding a beer - "it's much better for me, and tastes great!"
After KO'ing Reacoom - "I saw an opening that seemed to scream out 'attack!' So… I did!"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 pm

ABED wrote: After KO'ing Reacoom - "I saw an opening that seemed to scream out 'attack!' So… I did!"
Yeah... uh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU

Kelamis hit it out of the park in that scene. And in the movies.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 pm

What did you think of Kirby Morrow as Goku?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 pm

penguintruth wrote:
ABED wrote: After KO'ing Reacoom - "I saw an opening that seemed to scream out 'attack!' So… I did!"
Yeah... uh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU

Kelamis hit it out of the park in that scene. And in the movies.
You think that's hitting it out of the park? It's so cringe worthy. It's also interesting that you used a clip of an actor overacting to make a point about an actor who overacts constantly (at least as far as Goku goes, I haven't heard enough of his other work to form an opinion)
He's moderately better in the movies, but he's awful.
Kid Buu wrote:What did you think of Kirby Morrow as Goku?
Clearly not enough to remember. He didn't leave much of an impression beyond his voice not fitting.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 pm

I'm with PenguinTruth. Kelamis is fantastic despite some lackluster moments in the late Westwood episodes. Totally baffled as to how you find him cringe-worthy.

Each to their own, I guess.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 pm

I was baffled when Kelamis fans started to pop up. I remember the initial reaction to him was all negative.

How does anyone not hear that Goofy cadence to his delivery?

I would flip it, he's awful despite a few shining moments, most of which are battle screams.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:I still don't think that any dub surpassed the original.
Why? Because it's ''original''? I hope that's not the reason because the fact that something is the original thing doesn't mean that is also the best.

And please, stop calling it ''Japanese Original'' or ''Original''. It's called the ''Japanese Dub'' or the ''Original Japanese Dub''.
When you say that you ''dub'' something, it primarily means that you add sound to an animated picture (or image).

So, that one that some Japanese fans say (''there is no japanese dub, it's called japanese original bla bla bla...'') is wrong.
Original or Japanese Original is only the animated image and nothing else.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Nozawa>kelamis>corlett>morrow>schemmel

I'm ready for the hate :mrgreen:
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 pm

No I don't just like the original for being original, i like the original because it does nearly everything right.

- Kid Buu