Times when a Dub > Original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Times when a Dub > Original

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
JackyBoi99 wrote:I still don't think that any dub surpassed the original.
Why? Because it's ''original''? I hope that's not the reason because the fact that something is the original thing doesn't mean that is also the best.

Maybe thats his legit favorite audio or he really do like it. I like Jpn the best as well. Seriously he has a opinion you don't have to lecture him for it. Even if it was caused its the original Its his opinion

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 pm

TheRed259 wrote:And please, stop calling it ''Japanese Original'' or ''Original''. It's called the ''Japanese Dub'' or the ''Original Japanese Dub''.
When you say that you ''dub'' something, it primarily means that you add sound to an animated picture (or image).

So, that one that some Japanese fans say (''there is no japanese dub, it's called japanese original bla bla bla...'') is wrong.
Original or Japanese Original is only the animated image and nothing else.
While there is some logic in using the term "Japanese dub" there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling it the original. The show is the product. The shows consists of visual and audio elements. The show is a Japanese product featuring Japanese voice work. Therefore, the Japanese version in its entirety is the original version of the show.

Also, colloquially at least, the term dub, when applied to a foreign work, is inferring a work whose native voice work has been dubbed over with the native language. As in, when someone says "sub vs. dub" they are referring to the subtitled version of the original and the native language reversioning, respectively. Like I said, while there is technically nothing wrong with the term "Japanese dub" it does irk me because I usually only see it used in an attempt to subtly obfuscate all of the above. As in, when a debate pops up, someone is usually attempting to use those terms to make it seem like the two versions are alternative, branching creations, which is not true. One is the original. The other is derivative. That's simply the fact of the matter.

To get straight to the point, I'm not going to be calling the original version of the show the "Japanese dub." Ever. :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Thank you @TheGmGoken. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no need to lash out at one another :D .
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Honestly when I hear Peter K Goku. I don't think of Goku. I think of

But what this had to do with Dubs vs original audio?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:49 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:Thank you @TheGmGoken. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no need to lash out at one another :D
It just that when it comes to dubs (of a cartoon/anime), the word ''Original'' is usually misunderstood and they think that ''Original'' means the best.

I prefer calling it ''Original Japanese Dub''. Calling the Japanese DBZ only by the word ''Original'' (or Japanese Original) is like me trying to idealize or glorify something.
Last edited by TheRed259 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 pm

ABED wrote:I was baffled when Kelamis fans started to pop up. I remember the initial reaction to him was all negative.

How does anyone not hear that Goofy cadence to his delivery?

I would flip it, he's awful despite a few shining moments, most of which are battle screams.
Yeah, he does have that cadence to his delivery.

Which is why he's a good Goku. You remember that the character's basically a silly, brain damaged hillbilly, right? He's Kung Fu Huck Finn.

Sean Schemmel sounds like That Kind of Cool Teacher You Had In High School most of the time. And Ian Corlett... who can even remember?

But Kelamis on his best day is no Masako Nozawa.
TheRed259 wrote: Why? Because it's ''original''? I hope that's not the reason because the fact that something is the original thing doesn't mean that is also the best.
It's the original vision of what the show is intended to be. It certainly gives it the advantage.
Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 am

Malaysian Dub.

Movie 6: Piccolo's speech against Meta-Cooler

Cooler: I wos thinking tat afta I beat this Monkey, I was going to the Urth (Earth), but it cause me a trouble...

Piccolo: We are the One who are cause the trouble!

It makes no sense, but the line made Piccolo sooo badass (funny to some)...

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:33 am

Movie 12 - Goku's SSJ3 Scream - Schemmel

You will NEVER be capable of changing my opinion on that scene.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, he does have that cadence to his delivery.

Which is why he's a good Goku. You remember that the character's basically a silly, brain damaged hillbilly, right? He's Kung Fu Huck Finn.
You took the words right out of my mouth. How many times have we discussed Goku's accent in Japanese And his different way of speaking than the average Japanese person? Plenty. He sounds goofy and uneducated. But he can sound threatening when need be. Kelamis captures that. He has a certain intonation he gives to Goku that can sound goofy and a bit different than 'normal'. Yet, if you bother to put aside your bias and listen to a serious scene with Kelamis, he'll get down to sounding serious. Watch the Dead Zone movie, and watch the parts where he takes on Ginger, Nikki, and Sancho. He delivers the goods and sounds very close to the original. He sounds believable too. Compare that to when he is complimenting Piccolo, he sounds genuinely pleased to see Piccolo is keeping up with him and a bit surprised they are teaming up. I love that scene because the actors deliver it so well.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 am

TheRed259 wrote:It just that when it comes to dubs (of a cartoon/anime), the word ''Original'' is usually misunderstood and they think that ''Original'' means the best.

I prefer calling it ''Original Japanese Dub''. Calling the Japanese DBZ only by the word ''Original'' (or Japanese Original) is like me trying to idealize or glorify something.
And, in turn, I find that most people using the word "dub" to refer to the original Japanese version of the franchise are attempting to do so in a pejorative way, like, "Oh, well that version's JUST A DUB, too!"

It's like they're simultaneously downgrading the original Japanese version ("just a dub") while unintentionally disregarding the very product they're trying to elevate (their own favorite "dub").

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm all for being pedantic. The entirety of Kanzenshuu is basically founded on that ideal (accurate information, professionally written information, source documentation, etc.). That being said, I really do find that the only reason anyone ever wants to get that pedantic about classifying the original Japanese version of the franchise as a "dub" is to do so as a snide, dismissive remark... and while it's painfully transparent, as I mentioned before, it at least serves a nice counterproductive measure of hurting your own argument by attacking your own favored product in the process.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:It just that when it comes to dubs (of a cartoon/anime), the word ''Original'' is usually misunderstood and they think that ''Original'' means the best.

And, in turn, I find that most people using the word "dub" to refer to the original Japanese version of the franchise are attempting to do so in a pejorative way, like, "Oh, well that version's JUST A DUB, too!"

It's like they're simultaneously downgrading the original Japanese version ("just a dub") while unintentionally disregarding the very product they're trying to elevate (their own favorite "dub").
It does work as an argument when someone is implying that the "Japanese dub" is inherently better for being the original. If they throw away that bias, then they've basically justified saying that their preferred version is nothing other than the one they like best. They're kind of demoting both products, but they're also levelling the playing field.

PS: I'm about to evolve. You just watch me grow that neck hair. :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 am

Goku's a hillbilly, he's not an anthropomorphic dog. That obnoxious, unnatural rhythm DOES NOT make him a great Goku. Nozawa doesn't have that Goofy cadence either. So what if Goku hurt his head, that doesn't make his speech pattern so ridiculously unnatural, or poorly acted.
He's Kung Fu Huck Finn.
Except every portrayal I've seen of Huck Finn just made him sound southern, not like Goofy. They have the rhythms natural to a southern uneducated young boy.

Corlett is a terrific actor, maybe not as memorable in the part as other actors, he's still good, and Kelamis is memorable for all the wrong reasons. As for Sean, most of his problems came from lack of experience, and the script. Now, he's excellent. He has Goku's fun loving side, as well as his powerful warrior side.
But Kelamis on his best day is no Masako Nozawa.
That we agree on.
Kelamis captures that.
No he doesn't. He sounds like he's TRYING to sound tough.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 am

But what if we compare Kelamis with Schemmel in the original season 2 dub? Schemmel is fantastic now, after so many years of experience, and progressive, slight alterations to his take on Goku, but back then he sounded like some guy reading aloud from a script into a microphone - far worse than Kelamis. Had Kelamis had as many years to get his Goku down, I think he could have been phenomenal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 am

Fizzer wrote:But what if we compare Kelamis with Schemmel in the original season 2 dub? Schemmel is fantastic now, after so many years of experience, and progressive, slight alterations to his take on Goku, but back then he sounded like some guy reading aloud from a script into a microphone - far worse than Kelamis. Had Kelamis had as many years to get his Goku down, I think he could have been phenomenal.
I still consider a green Schemmel a step up from Goofy, I mean Kelamis.

I just thought of another delivery of his I don't like "My name's not Kakarrot, it's Goku!" - Movie 3

In movie 8, the dub fixes the error when Roshi tells Kuririn he's the best in Japan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 am

I much prefer Sonny Strait as Bardock as opposed to Nozawa.

Don't get me wrong, Nozawa is a wonderful actress, and she clearly gave it her all whenever she played him (or anybody, for that matter) but I don't see any good reason as to why Bardock should be voiced by a woman. "But he's related to Goku!" is not a good reason in my eyes. You didn't see Raditz being voiced by a female, did you?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

penguintruth wrote: Which is why he's a good Goku. You remember that the character's basically a silly, brain damaged hillbilly, right? He's Kung Fu Huck Finn.
Personally I feel like calling him a brain damaged hillbilly is a slight exaggeration. He's certainly not book smart and often uses slang but in general, going by the entire series, I don't consider him dumb enough to warrant that description even though he was raised in the woods.

I have mixed feelings with Kelamis. His screams were awesome but his dialogue was sort of inconsistent and sometimes forced like when he discovers Chi Chi and Ox King injured. I actually liked his dialogue the most when he was still impersonating Corlett. Corlett definitely suited the character how he was written in the dub. He sounded heroic and righteous while also being able to sound innocent and carefree.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 am

thatdbzguy wrote:I much prefer Sonny Strait as Bardock as opposed to Nozawa.

Don't get me wrong, Nozawa is a wonderful actress, and she clearly gave it her all whenever she played him (or anybody, for that matter) but I don't see any good reason as to why Bardock should be voiced by a woman. "But he's related to Goku!" is not a good reason in my eyes. You didn't see Raditz being voiced by a female, did you?
Possibly the only thing I'll ever agree with you on.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am

thatdbzguy wrote:I much prefer Sonny Strait as Bardock as opposed to Nozawa.

QFT.

(It's been so long since I used that, that I never realised until now that "quoted for truth" shares its acronym with "quantum field theory")

Nozawa is no more fitting for Bardock than she would have been for Raditz.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 am

Fizzer wrote:Nozawa is no more fitting for Bardock than she would have been for Raditz.
I think "looks exactly like him" is certainly a reason. You may not like the reason or agree with the reason, but to dismiss it outright or pretend it's not true is... well, silly!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Fizzer wrote:Nozawa is no more fitting for Bardock than she would have been for Raditz.
I think "looks exactly like him" is certainly a reason. You may not like the reason or agree with the reason, but to dismiss it outright or pretend it's not true is... well, silly!
Maybe I should have said "in my opinion", as that's what I meant.

I can actually see that as a reason, and for some reason I hadn't thought of it. I just think that the high-pitched voice fits Goku's personality, but not those of Raditz or Bardock. It also seems strange that Raditz alone would be the exception to the "family voice".