Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi all, I just got done binging on Yu Yu Hakuso and realized I loved it because of how much stuff was similar if not straight up entirely ripped off of DBZ, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on other fighting animes that similarly seem inspired by DBZ?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 pm

What are you saying? The supposed "BIG THREE!!!" are very much inspired by Dragon Ball! :P Seriously though, despite the inspirations, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach do their own takes on stuff. If you liked Yu Yu Hakusho, I think you would like Hunter x Hunter. Both manga have the same author. It is similar to DBZ in that it has a spirited young protagonist, a tournament arc, an arc similar to the Cell arc, and a more realized take on Ki. However, it likes to subvert your expectations but in a good way. The tone of the series also changes over time. The recent anime based on the manga is available for legal streaming on Crunchyroll with English subtitles in SD with ads and HD with no ads if you have a subscription. There is no English dub at the moment, but the Japanese voice acting is well done.

If you like the '80s and '90s cheesiness of DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho, you will really like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It is super hammy action/adventure series that is well bizarre. It is also on Crunchyroll. The anime adaptation of it does not have an English dub because of the fact that there is multiple references to western pop culture and music because of the manga author's love for the West.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15352
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Are you calling YYH cheesy, or just saying it has cheesy moments?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

ABED wrote:Are you calling YYH cheesy, or just saying it has cheesy moments?
Nah. I mean the hairdos and Kuwabara sometimes.

theoriginalbilis
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:28 pm

I also recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which has an excellent anime adaptation currently streaming on Crunchyroll. It's similar to DBZ, in that it's full of slugfests and super-powered martial artists. But the battles are more about smarts and wits rather than strength, so the one-upsmanship featured in every conflict is a real joy to behold. That, and the tone of the series is just downright bananas, which is saying a lot in the anime/manga realm.

If you like the humor and adventure mixed with fighting that Dragon Ball embodies, I'd also recommend One Piece. Honestly, its early episodes aren't the greatest, but if you stick with it, you'll find that the series not only features some very unique characters and powers, but also that the series has such an epic romantic scope that surpasses even DBZ in terms of execution. It's also no secret that the creator of One Piece, Eiichiro Oda, is one of the biggest Dragon Ball fans there is.

There's a couple other shonen/fighting series that I like and would recommend as well; though they're older series, they're all quality:

- Fist of the North Star
- Saint Seiya
- Rurouni Kenshin

- What I've seen of Hunter X Hunter was pretty solid as well. It may be more up your alley especially since it's based around tournaments and combat.
Twitter: @WillB_Animating Xbox Gamertag: Original Bilis PSN: ChuckleSquirts

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I also recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which has an excellent anime adaptation currently streaming on Crunchyroll. It's similar to DBZ, in that it's full of slugfests and super-powered martial artists. But the battles are more about smarts and wits rather than strength, so the one-upsmanship featured in every conflict is a real joy to behold. That, and the tone of the series is just downright bananas, which is saying a lot in the anime/manga realm.

If you like the humor and adventure mixed with fighting that Dragon Ball embodies, I'd also recommend One Piece. Honestly, its early episodes aren't the greatest, but if you stick with it, you'll find that the series not only features some very unique characters and powers, but also that the series has such an epic romantic scope that surpasses even DBZ in terms of execution. It's also no secret that the creator of One Piece, Eiichiro Oda, is one of the biggest Dragon Ball fans there is.

There's a couple other shonen/fighting series that I like and would recommend as well; though they're older series, they're all quality:

- Fist of the North Star
- Saint Seiya
- Rurouni Kenshin

- What I've seen of Hunter X Hunter was pretty solid as well. It may be more up your alley especially since it's based around tournaments and combat.
Yeah, Joseph Joestar in Part 2 certainly is the king of one-upping his opponents. Also, HxH stops being mainly about tournaments and combat after Heaven's Arena to let you know. There are still logical fights in the series, but there is much more logic behind them.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6067
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Certainly not directly inspired by, but KILL la KILL shares the same perverted and silly humour that the initial Dragon Ball anime had. Its fights aren't really comparable to Z in style but they certainly gave me that same feeling of 'fuck yeah'!

I'd definitely give the first two episodes a go and see how you feel. They're on CrunchyRoll too so you can check them out without committing to downloading anything.

It's a departure from what's been mentioned so far but heyho, better to have options!

EXCERPT FROM A REVIEW:

Image

EDIT: Welp, nevermind! Not even included on the list. :cry:
Last edited by Ajay on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter! // Super Animation Catalogue
[url=https://twitter.com/Yuyucow][b]kViN[/b][/url][i] on Tadayoshi Yamamuro[/i] wrote:
A fun drawing killed his family and now his life's goal is to oppress them all.

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, so here's what I'm thinking based on the feedback, and what I've already seen:

I'm def gonna looks into
  • Jo Jo's Bizare Adventure
    Saint Seiya
    Hunter X Hunter
    I know Mobile Fighetr G Gundam has a gundam go basically super saiyan when they guy's king of hearts hand tatoo or whatever gets all lit up...that's about all I remember.
    I thought about trying Bleach, but heard it got super crappy so I never did...
The tipping point for me is the musical score, Yu Yu Hakusho's score was so on point; any of those above y'all feel the same way about?
And is crunchyroll is the only legal way to watch some of these before I drop change on the series?

Prob gonna pass on:
  • Fist of the North Star; I've tried a few times to get into it, but it's so dark in some places I get turned off (...said the guy who love Yu Yu Hakusho...yeah yeah whatevs)
    Rurouni Kenshin (it was too moody, at least the dub from what I saw I was like bro get over it)
    One Piece ...at least for now bc i hate the character designs and the no water storyline feels frustrating plus it is too friggen long lol
    Naruto bores me :shifty: ...and I dont like the art
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

theoriginalbilis
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:00 am

Kakarot88 wrote: I know Mobile Fighter G Gundam has a Gundam go basically Super Saiyan when they guy's king of hearts hand tattoo or whatever gets all lit up...that's about all I remember.
G Gundam is a lot of fun, but it's definitely an acquired taste. People either love it or hate it. It's what you would get if you put Street Fighter, DBZ, martial arts flicks, westerns, WWE, UFC, the SuperFriends, and Gundams, and tossed them all into a blender, with some silly multicultural stereotypes thrown in for good measure.

It starts out silly and fairly formulaic, but everything eventually comes to a head in the latter half. The last 10 or so episodes are truly epic IMO, and are just as exciting and gripping as the best shonen anime can be.

Just don't take it too seriously, or you're not gonna have a good time.
Twitter: @WillB_Animating Xbox Gamertag: Original Bilis PSN: ChuckleSquirts

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13878
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 am

I got into the Guyver because of DBZ and has been one of my favorite anime/manga series since then. Watch the recent TV series from the mid 2000's first or watch the late 80's OVA's.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

theoriginalbilis
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I got into the Guyver because of DBZ and has been one of my favorite anime/manga series since then. Watch the recent TV series from the mid 2000's first or watch the late 80's OVA's.
I like The Guyver quite a bit too, but I always saw it as a darker, ultraviolent version of Super Sentai/Power Rangers/Kamen Rider... those types of shows; not as anything particularly similar to DBZ.
Twitter: @WillB_Animating Xbox Gamertag: Original Bilis PSN: ChuckleSquirts

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 am

One piece
Naruto
Bleach
Saint seiya
HunterxHunter
Fairy tail
Toriko
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Certainly not directly inspired by, but KILL la KILL shares the same perverted and silly humour that the initial Dragon Ball anime had. Its fights aren't really comparable to Z in style but they certainly gave me that same feeling of 'fuck yeah'!

I'd definitely give the first two episodes a go and see how you feel. They're on CrunchyRoll too so you can check them out without committing to downloading anything.

It's a departure from what's been mentioned so far but heyho, better to have options!

EXCERPT FROM A REVIEW:

Image

EDIT: Welp, nevermind! Not even included on the list. :cry:
My B! I posted while you were posting lol that's on the list for sure, can't argue with quotes lol...and thank you for your input :mrgreen: revised list:
  • Kill la Kill...and on a cursory inspection that clearly will never air on a kids network lol
    Jo Jo's Bizare Adventure
    Saint Seiya
    Hunter X Hunter
    I know Mobile Fighetr G Gundam has a gundam go basically super saiyan when they guy's king of hearts hand tatoo or whatever gets all lit up...that's about all I remember.
    I thought about trying Bleach, but heard it got super crappy so I never did...
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:11 am

I've been wanting to watch Saint Seiya myself.

Bonus points for the anime apparently having Yamcha and Tenshinhan as the lead roles.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 am

Kakarot88 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback, so here's what I'm thinking based on the feedback, and what I've already seen:

I'm def gonna looks into
  • Jo Jo's Bizare Adventure
    Saint Seiya
    Hunter X Hunter
    I know Mobile Fighetr G Gundam has a gundam go basically super saiyan when they guy's king of hearts hand tatoo or whatever gets all lit up...that's about all I remember.
    I thought about trying Bleach, but heard it got super crappy so I never did...
The tipping point for me is the musical score, Yu Yu Hakusho's score was so on point; any of those above y'all feel the same way about?
And is crunchyroll is the only legal way to watch some of these before I drop change on the series?



Prob gonna pass on:
  • Fist of the North Star; I've tried a few times to get into it, but it's so dark in some places I get turned off (...said the guy who love Yu Yu Hakusho...yeah yeah whatevs)
    Rurouni Kenshin (it was too moody, at least the dub from what I saw I was like bro get over it)
    One Piece ...at least for now bc i hate the character designs and the no water storyline feels frustrating plus it is too friggen long lol
    Naruto bores me :shifty: ...and I dont like the art
Musical score huh... I'll just say that JoJo's soundtrack really comes into its own in Battle Tendency. Some characters have their own motifs like the team falcouner score did. Dubstep is used for awesome results interestingly. Also, the openings and endings kick ass! The anime studio uses western songs for the endings. The most recent ending is "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles. HxH's music is pretty good as well. Just prepare to hear the same song for all openings, kinda like YYH.

User avatar
BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

G Gundam is indeed the Supah Shonen Gundam, for better and worse.

I marathoned the new Phantom Blood on Crunchyroll like 3 weeks ago- wow, I get it. What's more interesting is that how its supreme tonal confusion (
) contrasted with its nineteenth-century world was really fun to watch, that I'm afraid I'm going to be turned off by what little I already know of where the later parts go, having only seen Stardust Crusaders in any detail besides. Araki basically reboot the continuity for a reason. And Phantom Blood is supposed to be weakest link in the story.
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10247
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Kakarot88 wrote: Rurouni Kenshin (it was too moody, at least the dub from what I saw I was like bro get over it)
...What?
I'm not sure what part of Kenshin you've been watching, but unless you're talking about one of the OVA's, I don't think you really "got" it. How much did you watch, and how long ago was that?

For what it's worth, the anime doesn't even cover the "moody" part of Rurouni Kenshin. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote: Rurouni Kenshin (it was too moody, at least the dub from what I saw I was like bro get over it)
...What?
I'm not sure what part of Kenshin you've been watching, but unless you're talking about one of the OVA's, I don't think you really "got" it. How much did you watch, and how long ago was that?

For what it's worth, the anime doesn't even cover the "moody" part of Rurouni Kenshin. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.
So I had to be I guess in 8th grade or around then...it's when Toonami was airing it, so "not getting it" is a possibility, I saw so little I can't be sure where it was but there was a lot of rain in the epsiodes i watched and he kept bitching about a dead friend or teacher can't recall. That's why I didn't stick with it cuz it was a downer, at least that part.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

User avatar
shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by shinmaru » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Air Master, Battle scenes are amazing, story :thumbdown:
Baki the Grappler -, Must see
Dodge Donpei, In this anime they look just like Goku krillin and Yamcha with a Dodge Ball as Ki energie.
Red Hawk, guy looks like a Ssj.
Classic JOJO Bizarre adventures.
PowerPuff Girls, Bad ass DBZ Action :lol:

Most of the Anime are from 80s/90s.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I've been wanting to watch Saint Seiya myself.
It's not easy to get it complete unless you're fluent in Japanese, Spanish, French, Portuguese or whatever other language it was released because in terms of English it's yet incomplete and New Video Group has given SS the middle finger with their shitty release of "Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Classic Complete Collection".

But not all hope's gone as the Blu-ray BOX 1 & 2 are to be released soon in Japan so I'm hoping a high quality anime distro picks it up.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Post Reply