Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14097
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Way back in the days of our youth a little known channel in the United States called the International Channel aired Japanese cartoons. Surprisingly amongst these cartoons was nigh unedited Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, missing only the next episode previews, without subtitles but nonetheless gloriously entertaining. My history regarding what was aired and how the license was obtained is a little sketchy. I remember watching on-and-off beginning with the Afterlife Tournament arc and catching a few episodes of the Majin Buu arc. In fact it was these broadcasts that gave me my love for a lot of the darker end-of-the-episode music pieces by Kikuchi Shunsuke.

Does anyone know the details behind this bygone era?
She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3693
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Way back in the days of our youth a little known channel in the United States called the International Channel aired Japanese cartoons. Surprisingly amongst these cartoons was nigh unedited Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, missing only the next episode previews, without subtitles but nonetheless gloriously entertaining. My history regarding what was aired and how the license was obtained is a little sketchy. I remember watching on-and-off beginning with the Afterlife Tournament arc and catching a few episodes of the Majin Buu arc. In fact it was these broadcasts that gave me my love for a lot of the darker end-of-the-episode music pieces by Kikuchi Shunsuke.

Does anyone know the details behind this bygone era?
Sorry to follow up your question with another question of my own, but I'm curious about another aspect of the international channel airings: how was the quality of the video and audio? Was it the original broadcast audio?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Yeah it was the Japanese version with no subtitles and the picture quality was great.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by thaman91 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Did this version air before, during, or after Funimation's version aired in the United States?

Come to think of it, I do remember flipping through the channels once and stumbling upon DBZ in a different language. It was the episode with Gohan and the robot and I remember being surprised because I had never seen that episode before (because I think it was cut from the original Funimation dub with the Ocean cast).

RocktheDragon
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm
Location: North Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 pm

I can't answer any of your questions OP but I'd be interested to know what year the IC started to air DBZ and GT episodes. Sounds so glorious though....
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm

DBZ International Channel run ended around 2002 and DBZ Cartoon Network run ended around 2003 if my memory serves me right.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Sadly, I lost the international channel sometime before Goku landed on Namek. All I remember is that DBZ would air on Sunday nights. It was glorious!

User avatar
Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:15 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Payne222 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 pm

I never heard of this. I just watched DBZ in Japanese when I was like 7 on VCDs.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15106
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 pm

I knew about it, but I didn't get the International Channel at my house. I wanted it though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 am
Location: Qld Australia

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by JackyBoi99 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

In Australia, I remember channel very similar where they played anime in Japanese with no subtitles. They played dragon ball z, gundam, neon genesis, zoids:chaotic century etc. I only got to see this channel when I was sick or not at school since it played during weekdays.


Edit: I think it did have english subtitles actually.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4110
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by kei17 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:00 am

JulieYBM wrote:Surprisingly amongst these cartoons was nigh unedited Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, missing only the next episode previews
From what I know, both Z and GT had the next episode previews, and for some reason, Z had them after the ending like the Dragon Boxes. Also, the ones originally aired with a notice of a movie ticket lottery were cut short, which means that they might have used film masters originally printed for early Japanese TV airings.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14097
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 am

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Surprisingly amongst these cartoons was nigh unedited Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, missing only the next episode previews
From what I know, both Z and GT had the next episode previews, and for some reason, Z had them after the ending like the Dragon Boxes. Also, the ones originally aired with a notice of a movie ticket lottery were cut short, which means that they might have used film masters originally printed for early Japanese TV airings.
Woah, that's interesting. I wonder what has become of these masters? Were they shipped back to Toei Animation or a third-party that acted as a middle-man between the two? Hmm...
She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

User avatar
Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5080
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Super Sonic » Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 am

I didn't watch as I couldn't speak a word of Japanese and was patient for the Funimation release. My cousins watched and used to brag, but they couldn't speak Japanese either. They'd watch the show, then months later watch my videos or eps on CN and go "Oh". Did watch Slayers which came on after DBZ and was subbed unlike DBZ.

User avatar
shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by shinmaru » Thu May 01, 2014 6:09 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Way back in the days of our youth a little known channel in the United States called the International Channel aired Japanese cartoons. Surprisingly amongst these cartoons was nigh unedited Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, missing only the next episode previews, without subtitles but nonetheless gloriously entertaining. My history regarding what was aired and how the license was obtained is a little sketchy. I remember watching on-and-off beginning with the Afterlife Tournament arc and catching a few episodes of the Majin Buu arc. In fact it was these broadcasts that gave me my love for a lot of the darker end-of-the-episode music pieces by Kikuchi Shunsuke.

Does anyone know the details behind this bygone era?
Sorry to follow up your question with another question of my own, but I'm curious about another aspect of the international channel airings: how was the quality of the video and audio? Was it the original broadcast audio?
The audio is like the DragonBox crapy.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 01, 2014 2:43 pm

I caught DBZ on the IC back in the fall of 2001 when it was airing the Buu arc starting with the episode where everyone goes to the Budokai and Goku returns.

The video quality was pretty awful since the colors were super dark and there was TONS of (non-natural) grain, dirt, specks, and actual hairballs on the screen. I would say better than fansubs and worse than FUNi's old masters. It's almost like the masters IC used came from a cat's litter box. :x

I ended up recording everything from where I started up to the middle of GT. Sadly, I tossed those tapes away years ago.

User avatar
MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by MugiMikey » Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

I remember watching both Dragon Ball Z and GT on the International Channel! The first DBZ episode I saw on there was episode 210 in 2001. At the time, Cartoon Network was only in the Cell arc so I was pretty excited seeing an episode so much farther ahead on TV.

Then in late 2001/early 2002 they started airing GT. That was my first time catching a glimpse of nude Goku in the opening and I certainly was not expecting it. :lol: If I remember correctly, the first GT episode I saw on there was episode 3. Along with Z, I was pretty psyched about watching it since the dub had yet to exist.

LPPanther
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by LPPanther » Thu May 01, 2014 3:55 pm

My cousin got the International Channel and we watched the entire Buu arc in Japanese while CN was still showing Freeza and Cell episodes. I don't have any extra information to provide other than yes, this really happened haha.
Looking for Dragon Box 2 to complete my collection. Please PM if you are looking to sell!

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 01, 2014 6:06 pm

MugiMikey wrote:I remember watching both Dragon Ball Z and GT on the International Channel! The first DBZ episode I saw on there was episode 210 in 2001. At the time, Cartoon Network was only in the Cell arc so I was pretty excited seeing an episode so much farther ahead on TV.

Then in late 2001/early 2002 they started airing GT. That was my first time catching a glimpse of nude Goku in the opening and I certainly was not expecting it. :lol: If I remember correctly, the first GT episode I saw on there was episode 3. Along with Z, I was pretty psyched about watching it since the dub had yet to exist.
I remember in the fall of 2001, CN and IC were nearly running the same Buu arc episodes (The Majin Vegeta stuff) nearly side by side, but since CN repeated the Buu arc from the start after Vegeta's death, IC got ahead.

It was kinda surreal having CN with the dub and IC in JP airing nearly the same episodes. :lol:

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Kid Buu » Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I caught DBZ on the IC back in the fall of 2001 when it was airing the Buu arc starting with the episode where everyone goes to the Budokai and Goku returns.

The video quality was pretty awful since the colors were super dark and there was TONS of (non-natural) grain, dirt, specks, and actual hairballs on the screen. I would say better than fansubs and worse than FUNi's old masters. It's almost like the masters IC used came from a cat's litter box. :x

I ended up recording everything from where I started up to the middle of GT. Sadly, I tossed those tapes away years ago.
Really? I remember GT having good video quality.

Maybe nostalgia is blinding me.

In some of your AMV's you use International Channel footage I think.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and the International Channel

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I caught DBZ on the IC back in the fall of 2001 when it was airing the Buu arc starting with the episode where everyone goes to the Budokai and Goku returns.

The video quality was pretty awful since the colors were super dark and there was TONS of (non-natural) grain, dirt, specks, and actual hairballs on the screen. I would say better than fansubs and worse than FUNi's old masters. It's almost like the masters IC used came from a cat's litter box. :x

I ended up recording everything from where I started up to the middle of GT. Sadly, I tossed those tapes away years ago.
Really? I remember GT having good video quality.

Maybe nostalgia is blinding me.

In some of your AMV's you use International Channel footage I think.
I used it in my last classic video, The Unknown Darkness.

Back then, I thought it was pretty decent quality and I didn't have the corresponding FUNi tapes/dvds to work with.

Post Reply