The Newest Batch of Toriyama Tidbits...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Newest Batch of Toriyama Tidbits...

Post by Saiga » Sat May 03, 2014 9:52 pm

If he thought Cell was a guy in a bug costume, he wouldn't have fought him according to Toriyama's new info. He doesn't know Cell's identity, fought him, 100% contradictory to what Toriyama said.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Perhaps he thought he had Cell all figured out? I mean granted even with the false bravado of a thousand men, I wouldn't want to take on a 7-foot tall bug monster thing. Cell is my favorite character too. Still, maybe he just wasn't intimidated by him as much as his previous foes?

With that said, I apologize for the stupid question, but where do you guys see stuff like #17 & #18's real names, and that Gero modeled #16 after his deceased son? It's not in that Q&A in the first post.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Patrick wrote:With that said, I apologize for the stupid question, but where do you guys see stuff like #17 & #18's real names, and that Gero modeled #16 after his deceased son? It's not in that Q&A in the first post.
The bit about #16 was from a different Q&A session (also translated on the main site), while the info about #17 and #18 are from a recent Q&A that I assume the site staff are hard at work on.

Not a stupid question at all. :)
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Patrick wrote:Perhaps he thought he had Cell all figured out?
I assume that's it. He thought Cell was just some amateur fighter using tricks to look like he had super powers, so he was confident in taking him on. Then when he realized that Cell and Goku et al had actual super powers, he did all he could to avoid fighting them (while still talking tough in front of the cameras). His principle is still avoiding fights with people whose "true nature" he doesn't know...he's just real bad about recognizing when he does or doesn't have somebody's true nature figured out.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 pm

The info with #17 does not bother me. If #18 can move on and have a nice life, why can't #17? I remember fans believe that #17 was never that evil to begin with. He did got wish back other wise he would be dead for good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The info with #17 does not bother me. If #18 can move on and have a nice life, why can't #17? I remember fans believe that #17 was never that evil to begin with. He did got wish back other wise he would be dead for good.
I always thought 17 was a park ranger so this doesn't affect me.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun May 04, 2014 12:07 am

While not the most offensive bit of info, the tidbit about #17 "marrying a zoologist with 2 adopted sons" perfectly encapsulates the ridiculousness in the idea of having new information. I mean, what else am I going to read, what car insurance he has? Most of this either shrinks the Dragon world considerably or ruins an otherwise neat mystery. I've said this before in a different thread but I feel this needs reiterating: One of Dragon Ball's greatest strengths comes in it's mysticism. It's a pulpy action series that doesn't explore too deeply into it's characters and worlds unlike other "higher brow" fiction; therefor it's only natural there will be lots of unexplained or implied information concerning characters, events, the world, etc. Being vague plays in it's favor as it makes the world seem vast, mysterious and most of all, interesting! Over explaining a series with not a lot of depth to begin will ultimately deprive it of one it's precious assets; it's charm. This combined with the recent influx of contradicting explanations and retellings makes me cautious as a fan. I'm sure many of us have wished Toriyama would get back into Dragon Ball, especially after the (generally agreed) disappointment of Dragon Ball GT, but who could have guessed it could result in this? While BoG and (so I've been told) Jaco have been excellent, it seems to me that Toriyama can still help progress the series forward in the right way, as long as there is an actual incentive to tell a story.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:13 am

I wonder what it would been like if this info came out back in 2004, 10 years ago. Would people have mixed feelings for it like most of us are right now or like it better back then?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 am

I actually can't wait to hear Toriyama's explanation for why Future 17 & 18 are evil destructive pricks while the present time 17 & 18 are fun loving but caring family people who are wholly good.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:I actually can't wait to hear Toriyama's explanation for why Future 17 & 18 are evil destructive pricks while the present time 17 & 18 are fun loving but caring family people who are wholly good.
"Beerus did it"

--------
I gotta agree with the sentiments about this stuff generally being pretty dumb. It really is just pulled from his butt on the spot from the sounds of it, it would be cool if it wasn't contradictory or extraneous seeming, but I think my general response to these could be summed up with 'interesting... but no'.

you know, ignoring the contradictions, for some reason I feel these titbits would have far more meaning if they had some illustrations to go with them, light-hearted or even emotional 'snapshots'. For instance showing us 17's new family looking happy, show us a young Mr Satan at the dojo with his master(or tearfully reaching towards his slain friend), show us vegeta lounging out watching commercials, or to use that one about 16, show us a shot of gero tirelessly tinkering at his workbench, a photo of this lost son who inspired 16's appearance resting nearby...
I don't know, anyone else feel the same way? Giving faces to this new people or provide a still-life glimpse into the scene which epitomes the corresponding info would give them more 'weight' I feel, though I realise these are just meant as quick/easy Q & A interviews...
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun May 04, 2014 3:17 am

some_weirdGuy wrote:"Beerus did it"
I've just acquired a new forum signature 8)
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun May 04, 2014 3:59 am

"Beerus did it" could easily make be possible if we were talking the first draft version of Beerus. :P

Which would make it more consistent than a lot of the other answers...
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun May 04, 2014 4:11 am

Saiga wrote:"Beerus did it" could easily make be possible if we were talking the first draft version of Beerus. :P

It was kinda fun and cool when we got little tie-in explanations to begin with - such as why King Kai's planet was so small, but now every needless interjection of Beerus into Dragon-Universe law feels increasingly ham-fisted and just... not necessary.

I mean, what's next? Karin lives in a tower because Beerus got Cat-envy and decided to stick him up a great height, knowing how much cats dislike them? Or Beerus accidentally caused the natural disaster on Namek by destroying a nearby star system? Or Freeza didn't actually blow up planet Vegeta, he planned to - but Beerus ninja'ed him at the last second and did it himself?

Place your bets now!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Mr.Judge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Judge » Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 am

auspx wrote:

In DB chapter 159 he pretty much admits that he isn't human. This is the conversation between Goku and Piccolo Daimao:

Piccolo: "It.. it can't be! A human being capable of resisting Piccolo shouldn't exist."
Goku: "Heh heh! I have a tail so I guess I'm not human."
My earlier post wrote:...cannot be taken as 100% confirmation.
Also Db Earth has various beings like Piccolo Daimaō (he was not an alien then), talking Creatures, King who is a Dog etc.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 04, 2014 7:25 am

Saiga wrote:If he thought Cell was a guy in a bug costume, he wouldn't have fought him according to Toriyama's new info. He doesn't know Cell's identity, fought him, 100% contradictory to what Toriyama said.
No, he knew he was a guy named Cell that was using tricks to scare everyone, so he was weak if he had to rely on tricks.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun May 04, 2014 8:13 am

Still doesn't know his identity, still contradictory.

His name alone is not his identity. He knows jack fuck about Cell and doesn't care.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 am

Saiga wrote:Still doesn't know his identity, still contradictory.

His name alone is not his identity. He knows jack fuck about Cell and doesn't care.
He knows his name, he knows that he isn't a real fighter, and he knows that he uses tricks to deceive everyone.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun May 04, 2014 8:39 am

Saiga wrote:Still doesn't know his identity, still contradictory.

As seeing you are debating about Mr. Satan's decision to fight completely unknown fighters, I'm just realising that I am personally the single(among others who didn't comment to this tread) who sees Mr. Satan's character well and Toriyama's intention to introduce it. I think the case is very simple! His introduction had the purpose as in the world of Dragon Ball to be a martial artist who doesn't possess any super-human strength, but very strong himself, to pull us back to the everydays' ground. So he was just like any of us who isn't able to believe in such strengths and especially on power full of scintillating, but in physical strength aka in his own fist. So being overconfident agaist Cell isn't surprising even if he was careful with unknown foes. He had the right to belive that Cell wasn't any special without his tricks, and he was really strong among ordinary humans, this was told by Toriyama also.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 04, 2014 8:44 am

Blade wrote:
Saiga wrote:"Beerus did it" could easily make be possible if we were talking the first draft version of Beerus. :P

It was kinda fun and cool when we got little tie-in explanations to begin with - such as why King Kai's planet was so small, but now every needless interjection of Beerus into Dragon-Universe law feels increasingly ham-fisted and just... not necessary.

I mean, what's next? Karin lives in a tower because Beerus got Cat-envy and decided to stick him up a great height, knowing how much cats dislike them? Or Beerus accidentally caused the natural disaster on Namek by destroying a nearby star system? Or Freeza didn't actually blow up planet Vegeta, he planned to - but Beerus ninja'ed him at the last second and did it himself?

Place your bets now!
I'll gladly add these to my own personal canon XD
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 am

I agree with others in that I'm not too sure what the point of some of these reveals is meant to be. However what has been revealed so far really doesn't bother me, or altered my view of the characters/series so far (other than the #16 being modelled after Gero's deceased son fact), I just think this new information is a bit of fun and after all these years why can't there be a bit of extra information thrown out?