Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:31 am

The Japanese music is great. I would have change the channel if I've heard Disturbed or Slipknot from the original soundtrack.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 am

So I watched it, and it was great to hear the Kikuchi score again.

However, there was MASSIVE pixellation going on during action scenes. It looked way worse than the FUNimation Singles' encoding. Is there anyone knowledgeable about TV broadcasting who could explain how this happened, or is this a common thing with TV these days? I haven't really watched TV in years.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Sun May 25, 2014 1:15 am

Metalwario64 wrote:So I watched it, and it was great to hear the Kikuchi score again.

However, there was MASSIVE pixellation going on during action scenes. It looked way worse than the FUNimation Singles' encoding. Is there anyone knowledgeable about TV broadcasting who could explain how this happened, or is this a common thing with TV these days? I haven't really watched TV in years.
It literally depends on you cable or satellite carrier, as they re-encode the signal. My Cartoon Network feed, for instance, is bit-rate starved and the video sometimes will freeze, break up, then re-sync with the audio. I've seen other people's feeds and they don't exhibit this problem.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 am

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion of Andy Chandler's performance as Cooler in the dub? He obviously has to work with Funimation's lackluster early 2000's DBZ voice direction and scripts ("TIME TO DIE!!!") and the unnecessary filter on his voice when he transforms, but otherwise I think his voice conveys Cooler's (for lack of a better word) cool demeanor and pride effectively. I personally think his casting is in some small part an improvement over the Japanese version, which gave him the same voice as Freeza. Even though Ryūsei Nakao obviously gives a superior performance, I think it was a little cheap of Toei to use the same voice actor for both brothers. They could have at least tried to differentiate them in this regard, seeing as Cooler already rips off his brother's look visually.
Last edited by ParkerAL on Sun May 25, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:30 am

ChibiGoku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:So I watched it, and it was great to hear the Kikuchi score again.

It literally depends on you cable or satellite carrier, as they re-encode the signal. My Cartoon Network feed, for instance, is bit-rate starved and the video sometimes will freeze, break up, then re-sync with the audio. I've seen other people's feeds and they don't exhibit this problem.
I see. Makes sense. Thanks! :)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Sun May 25, 2014 1:40 am

No American soundtrack. What a shame.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 25, 2014 1:48 am

ParkerAL wrote:Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion of Andy Chandler's performance as Cooler in the dub?
I do really like the voice for Coola. Obviously I'd love to hear him play the character in a more faithful dub of either of Coola's movies.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:52 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:No American soundtrack. What a shame.
This is why I think that they should just air old Toonami masters. That would please average American fans of haarrrdcooorreee DeeeBeeeZeee more.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Sun May 25, 2014 2:13 am

kei17 wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:No American soundtrack. What a shame.
This is why I think that they should just air old Toonami masters. That would please average American fans of haarrrdcooorreee DeeeBeeeZeee more.
That would seriously be the best decision they could ever make. It would make for a good opportunity to record all of the next episode previews which have never been released, along with the missing lot of the edited Cell Games episodes.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 25, 2014 2:27 am

Kaboom wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion of Andy Chandler's performance as Cooler in the dub?
I do really like the voice for Coola. Obviously I'd love to hear him play the character in a more faithful dub of either of Coola's movies.
The dub voice for Cooler was a step in the right direction years before Chris Ayres' was cast for DBZ Kai.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:42 am

It was a lot of fun watching this. I always enjoy a good late night movie :) . Having the Japanese music was a big A+ for me and I think they used the HD masters from Funi's Blu-Ray sets from a few years back. I did notice the blood in it, but it was hardly enough to make it TV-PG. I hope they air more DBZ movies like Fusion Reborn, DBZ Movie 13, DBZ Movie 3, Movie 8 and Movie 9.
She/Her

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun May 25, 2014 3:15 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Having the Japanese music was a big A+ for me
The half-baked guitar version of "Head Cha-La" was awful, though.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 am

Anyone got any footage or an MP3 of this apparent Guitar rendition of "Head Cha La" for broadcast?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:30 am

There was no "guitar version of Cha La Head Cha La"... :| They used the same opening from the Double Feature, that is, Menza's opening theme.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun May 25, 2014 3:46 am

Sorry about that. The blood in my ears led me to believe that the opening was at least sort of related to "Head Cha-La".

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun May 25, 2014 4:00 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It's TV-7. So it's not uncut at all.
If it was sourced from the 'Double Features', then I'm pretty sure it was simply aired as is- uncut. Unless of course they went out of their way to make a new set of edits, which I don't see why they would. There was nothing overly violent in DBZ Movie 5.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:10 am

I thought it was going to be edited when I saw the TV rating. I was wrong since the blood was shown. Nothing about the blood is able to push it to a TV PG or TV 14. Movie 9 uncut might be TV PG since it's the most violent DBZ movie in my opinion.
She/Her

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun May 25, 2014 4:12 am

There was one noticeable edit (well, noticeable if you were watching the double feature side-by-side with it). After the sun is destroyed, the screen fades to black and stays that way for about 5 seconds; in the TV version, those 5 seconds were completely edited out. It's really weird that that's the one thing they edit.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:16 am

It was likely for time.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun May 25, 2014 4:20 am

Daisetsu wrote:There was one noticeable edit (well, noticeable if you were watching the double feature side-by-side with it). After the sun is destroyed, the screen fades to black and stays that way for about 5 seconds; in the TV version, those 5 seconds were completely edited out. It's really weird that that's the one thing they edit.
The networks have software that cuts to commercial if the picture fades to black-you can thank Fox for this innovation. (I'm still astonished that their reruns of the Dungeons & Dragons episode "Dungeon at the Heart of Dawn", which has a lengthy sequence of dialogue-filled blackness after the title card, aired intact at the turn of the century.)