Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 pm

http://funimation.tumblr.com/post/84527 ... e-got-some

I REALLY hope that this wont mean that DBKai will air on Toonami, because then it would truly be for nothing. I know it seems like overreacting but its true:Instead of anime finding a new comfy home it will remain on the same old network.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Toonami will air the Cooler Movie on May 24

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:http://funimation.tumblr.com/post/84527 ... e-got-some

I REALLY hope that this wont mean that DBKai will air on Toonami, because then it would truly be for nothing. I know it seems like overreacting but its true:Instead of anime finding a new comfy home it will remain on the same old network.
Why does it matter what channel it airs on? How would it being on Cartoon Network hurt anything?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm

If Kai were to air on Toonami, wouldn't it most likely air uncut? I can only see how this would benefit seeing as it might finally lay to rest that ridiculous notion that Kai is just a "kiddy" version of Dragon Ball Z.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:39 pm

It's most likely edited since I doubt they have the uncut prints of the movie. If they do air it uncut, get ready for the awful early 2000's metal music again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Ahhhh dang it! I was about to come start a topic about this. lol There's no reason for me too....but I'll record this and the full broadcast and throw it in with the rest of the others lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I will be fine if Kai comes on Toonami and starts at 11:30 instead or have Toonami start at 11:00 PM now. We don't need two episodes of The Boondocks on Saturdays in my opinion. One is fine since I like to catch up on the weekends.
She/Her

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:If Kai were to air on Toonami, wouldn't it most likely air uncut? I can only see how this would benefit seeing as it might finally lay to rest that ridiculous notion that Kai is just a "kiddy" version of Dragon Ball Z.
I don't really see how that would make a difference. Even uncut Kai is edited in many places compared to Z. So if anything, that would just solidify that idea in their minds.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri May 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Uhm, remember, this is Toonami on ADULT SWIM. So it'd only be suspected they'd get the uncut footage for the movie.
Whether its the US score or the original; the single footage or remastered, has yet to be seen.

As for the "Oh woe is me! DBZ is airing on Cartoon Network again!"; one you got to understand that Cartoon Network and Adult Swim operate as separate channels, and more over, Adult Swim is the only place on US television besides The CW and Nicktoons (both of which is airing a solely a Dragon Ball series) that cares about airing non-toyetic anime and has since 2001. There have been times when it's airing of it has been limited but that's besides the point.
Last edited by Soul on Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

I hope they use the Japanese score from the double feature sets, but that's unlikely sadly :(. It would be nice if more people get to hear the Japanese music.
She/Her

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Well since channel 11 also airs Kai alongside nicktoons, I'm pretty sure that if FUNi wanted they could also have Toonami air Kai Uncut alongside the kid-friendly, censored version on nicktoons and the completely ****** up version on channel 11.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Only one channel can air Kai because the cable rights can belong to only one channel.

But now that I think of it, while TERRIBLY redundant, I cant see how this might hurt Nicktoons anime relationships. They are still airing other series. So I guess I could be fine with it going to Toonami.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:11 pm

I think Nick Toons may lost the rights to DBZ Movie 4-13 which is why Movie 5 is airing on Toonami. Nick Toons never air the redubs of Movie 1-3 most likely that there's no edited prints of those films and Nick Toons most likely does not want to pay Funi to edit them. It won't surprise me if the Ultimate Uncut dubs of Movie 1-3 air on Toonami.
She/Her

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 02, 2014 8:20 pm

The ten-year-old me is crying like a bitch. I emphatically, unapologetically love the awful, headbanger-rock-filled dub of Movie 5.

There's a terrible show on FOX called The Following. There's a scene from the first season where we learn one of the characters killed her mother, and it's scored to Deftones' "Changes". It was shit, and I laughed uncontrollably. 2002-era FUNimation and all of its awful dubbing practices somehow managed to score a DBZ scene with replacement music to better effect than a primetime network drama eleven years after the fact. Watching Goku rise up after all hope is lost was a more memorable moment than a teenager standing over her mother's bleeding body after stabbing her.

For one night, and most likely one night only, I'll be watching Toonami.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 pm

I hope this leads to Toonami airing Kai. I'd love for some of those "This isn't edited" fans to see the truth. Plus, any excuse to rewatch Kai is good by me.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri May 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Oh I see.

Well, I don't think that Nicktoons would re-air GT if they weren't planning on airing Kai. Who knows? Maybe Toonami will air the original Z while nicktoons gets Kai. It's possible right?
One World. 🌐 🕊

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri May 02, 2014 8:50 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:Oh I see.

Well, I don't think that Nicktoons would re-air GT if they weren't planning on airing Kai. Who knows? Maybe Toonami will air the original Z while nicktoons gets Kai. It's possible right?
That is the exact opposite of what I want. Let them air edited Z on Nicktoons and I wouldn't care. But Kai deserves that uncut release on Toonami (preferably leading a Toonami that starts a half hour earlier).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Mewzard wrote:That is the exact opposite of what I want. Let them air edited Z on Nicktoons and I wouldn't care. But Kai deserves that uncut release on Toonami (preferably leading a Toonami that starts a half hour earlier).
Dragon Ball Kai uncut is already censored by Toei Animation so what Nicktoons done to it were some minor changes here and there, so it's kind of hard to have it uncut at all.

- Goku & Raditz no bloody hole (they got roasted instead)
- Vegeta no longer flips Gohan (makes it look awkward without it)
- Vegeta doesn't spit out blood any more when he's nearly dead
and so on.

Seeing how Nicktoons is the one that's been airing a lot of Dragon Ball in US I guess that's DB's home in US-TV not anywhere else (there was CW4Kids/Toonzai too but they only aired Kai).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri May 02, 2014 11:09 pm

But people are more likely to have seen Kai on the CW than on Nicktoons. At least Cartoon Networks not that far in the cable package slot, and people who would watch anime would find Toonami more likely than Nicktoons.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:14 am

If only they would just air it with the Kikuchi score... I really don't think they will though, because most of the "new" Toonami's audience grew up with the "guitar grinding, hip, and cool" Faulconer score.... Maybe they'll decide to go with Kikuchi though. One can only hope...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 03, 2014 2:08 am

Also from what I heard when Akira aired on there months ago, the violence was all intact except for girl getting her shirt ripped off and seeing her boobs. Only cuts were just all the s and f-bombs, and a few s-bombs went untouched after a certain hour.