'Cell' Design in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

'Cell' Design in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Reading the new tidbits from Toriyama, specifically on the topic of Cell's design, reminded me of this. I've recently been reading through the 'JoJo's Bizarre Adventure' manga. I've already long gotten used to all of the band and song name references (FYI, 'Another One Bites The Dust' is the best name for an attack ever), but at one point in 'Part 4' I ran across...this guy. The bug-looking dude, not the human.

http://s30.postimg.org/mabtvgk01/DBZ_Jo_Jo.png - Leaving it as just a link since it's a decently large picture

His (or rather 'it's' as it's a power called 'Stand') name is 'Red Hot Chili Pepper', but looking at him, I can't help but get Imperfect Cell vibes off of the guy. I'm completely unsure of whether or not this part of JoJo's would have come before or after Cell's first appearance in DBZ though, so I have no idea whether one would have been a design influence on the other, or if it's all just a coincidence or only in my head. Any help on the dates or any correlation (or lack there-of) would be much appreciated.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: 'Cell' Design in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Post by ParkerAL » Mon May 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Yeah, I can see the resemblance. It could very well be a homage to the character, kind of like how Meruem from Hunter x Hunter pays tribute to Cell's appearance (while at the same time being a far more developed and engrossing character in his own right, I might add). 8)

Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Have you finished Part 4? Because there's another Stand that, to me, seems a lot more similar to Cell than Red Hot Chilli Peppers -
. I've read it's actually a deliberate homage to Cell, but I haven't seen a source for that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Saiga wrote:Have you finished Part 4? Because there's another Stand that, to me, seems a lot more similar to Cell than Red Hot Chilli Peppers -
. I've read it's actually a deliberate homage to Cell, but I haven't seen a source for that.
Yeah, I've finished it (and should be getting to 'Part 5' soon hopefully). Huh...I didn't really notice any visual similarity with that one, so I'll have to take another look. Or did you mean that more in regards to how it 'changes'?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Saiga wrote:Have you finished Part 4? Because there's another Stand that, to me, seems a lot more similar to Cell than Red Hot Chilli Peppers -
Yeah, I've finished it (and should be getting to 'Part 5' soon hopefully). Huh...I didn't really notice any visual similarity with that one, so I'll have to take another look. Or did you mean that more in regards to how it 'changes'?
Mostly about how it changes, has four forms (egg, Act I, Act II, Act II) loses the tail in the third form, and Koichi having some similarities with Gohan (hair gets spikier when he's angry and looks somewhat like SS2 kid Gohan).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Speaking of DB-ish stuff in JoJo, I noticed this while re-reading Part 3:

:lol:

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Speaking of DB-ish stuff in JoJo, I noticed this while re-reading Part 3:

:lol:

Wow... :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:28 am

what year were both of those pages published

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 am

mikezilla2 wrote:what year were both of those pages published
The Dragon Ball page was published in April 1991 while the JoJo page was published around late 1991/early 1992.

So yeah, Araki got lazy and copied Toriyama's pose and framing. :lol:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 am

Brad Redfield wrote:So yeah, Araki got lazy and copied Toriyama's pose and framing. :lol:
Lazy? Pretty sure it was entirely intentional. That's the point of a homage.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 am

Not spoiling anything but Saiga's example was a homage too man.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed May 07, 2014 2:19 am

Eh, that's true. It could be an homage. Araki has done it quite a bit with real-life model/celebrity photos. Hell, the guy even had a photoshoot with Clint Eastwood a few years back and recreated one of the pictures with Jotaro.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am

The Ant King looks like Cell too.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Speaking of DB-ish stuff in JoJo, I noticed this while re-reading Part 3:

*snip images*
Oh man, I completely missed that one! :lol: Araki definitely does seem to love his references, and I guess it's not with just music alone then, heh.
Twitter

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mmg86 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Nah, i think Red Hot Chilli Pepper is modeled after Freezer, not Cell. Even more so if you take into account its size. Echoes would be the one with similarities to Cell. And honestly, i dont think that panel with Polnareff is (intentionally) supposed to be similar to the one with Goku. Could be, but i doubt it.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 am

Beak and tail = Cell design :roll:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm

hulkty wrote:Beak and tail = Cell design :roll:
It's not like I said 'ripoff', just a similar design. And it's not even just the design alone - his pose there is totally similar to one of Cell's poses. I want to say it's the one form when he pops up during the Piccolo and 17 fight.
Twitter

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm

It's very clearly inspired by Cell. There's absolutely zero doubt about that at all. That doesn't mean it's a rip-off or that it has any negative connotations. Just seems like a nice homage, to me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Araki seemed to borrow different aspects of Cell for both Echoes and RHCP. Echoes has only a very superficial resemblance to Cell, but given that it's the first truly evolving Stand in the series with unique appearances, that "metamorphosis" part makes Cell come to mind instantly. As for specific facial features, RHCP definitely evokes Cell's design with the beak and tail, but apparently it was actually designed based on a creature from the manga "The Big Journal of Dinosaurs" which was also serialized in Jump around that time period.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri May 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Echoes was inspired by Cell, and Koichi's design was inspired by Cell Games Gohan. Freeza was also a template for how he designed Red Hot Chili Pepper in the next part.

Apparently Araki drew this some time ago too: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4385_n.jpg

Also can someone translate what Toriyama wrote here? http://www.deculture.es/wp-content/uplo ... enture.jpg
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ