If you could ask Toriyama one question...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

If you could ask Toriyama one question...

Post by Fizzer » Tue May 13, 2014 5:14 pm

What would it be?

We've been getting lots of new information from the Supreme Overlord of the Dragon World lately, but what's the thing you want him to answer most of all?

Mine would be "you've said that you originally planned for semi-perfect Cell to play a bigger role, but what were you actually going to do with the story, before you changed your mind?"

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: If you could ask Toriyama one question...

Post by Cetra » Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 pm

We all know the main question of 9/10 fans is about making canonicity.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 13, 2014 6:30 pm

What Is your favourite anime or movie,

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Cetra wrote:We all know the main question of 9/10 fans is about making canonicity.
This and his favorite character.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 pm

How did you not plan most of the things ahead and still did the best series ever?!
Please tell me, Toriyama-sama.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed May 14, 2014 4:59 pm

If you went back to when you started Dragonball, what would you do differently?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed May 14, 2014 5:03 pm

I'd like to ask whats the reason behind such incoherent mess in Buu Saga. I'm sure that'll open-up a can of what-ifs.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Hades wrote:If you went back to when you started Dragonball, what would you do differently?
He's been asked already about this, actually. :P He didn't answer though, he said that he prefers looking forward instead of looking back. But he did say that if he knew that Goku was an alien from chapter 1, he would have done some things differently.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed May 14, 2014 5:58 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hades wrote:If you went back to when you started Dragonball, what would you do differently?
He's been asked already about this, actually. :P He didn't answer though, he said that he prefers looking forward instead of looking back. But he did say that if he knew that Goku was an alien from chapter 1, he would have done some things differently.
I imagine he'd slip in a hint in the first arc, either Bulma asking about his scar when washing his hair, or some kind of gag, like:

Bulma: "Were you dropped on your head as a baby or something?"
Goku: "Yep! Grandpa said that's when I became so docile! :D"
Bulma: "Ummm O_O"

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed May 14, 2014 6:03 pm

in that case: "was there anything that didn't make the final cut?"
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 pm

What's Freeza's race called? I'm sure he could at least answer this, even if he makes it up on the spot lol.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92