Why the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt didn't work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: Why the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt didn't work?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

psi_brg wrote:But lets be honest, even SSJ4 Gogeta should have dominated, what happened to that awesome move he used to finish Janemba off? - do that once and good by OMEGA Shenron
Only movies 1 and 5 are in the anime timeline even though GT seems to need 12 and 13 also. I guess them knowing fusion can be explained by Vegeta being a quick learner and movie 13 doesn't explain how Goku got the Dragon Fist.
Last edited by xmysticgohanx on Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:
psi_brg wrote:But lets be honest, even SSJ4 Gogeta should have dominated, what happened to that awesome move he used to finish Janemba off? - do that once and good by OMEGA Shenron
Only movies 1 and 5 are in the anime timeline even though GT needs 12 and 13 also.
Why does GT need 12? They don't need to know Gogeta to fuse and Vegeta even says in Dragon Ball Z he knows the fusion.

The Big Bang Kame Hame-Ha was lame though, I agree. At least in my opinion.

That's more like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40d4RiUsQw

"TIMES ONE-HUNRDRED!!!"
Last edited by Cetra on Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

psi_brg
Not-So-Newbie

Post by psi_brg » Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 pm

I can imagine that the DBGT logic conversaion sounded a lot like this behind the scenes lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQpt-OEMPQ
"Huh? Oh no! Now it's... the... Z Daggar!"
- Mystic Gohan

Get the best DBZ Torso T's Here @JustSaiyan

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 pm

I think GT needed more original ideas. If AT wrote it then could have been better in my opinion. GT rehashes a lot of older stuff that we seen before. The fight between SSj4 Goku and Bebi Oozaru was pretty much a rehash of Goku vs. Vegeta Oozaru. Also do we need Vegeta to be evil again for the third time?
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Mon May 19, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:21 pm

I am now at the Zunama arc. While I do vaguely remember the story....it's a fucking Oolong rip off. Why do they need a decoy and to make Zunama drunk? What the fuck is the point of all that. It'd be way easier to beat the shit out of him and then cut his whiskers off (I am aware they don't cause earthquakes, but they don't know that yet). It made sense for Goku to cross dress as he needed to be taken back to Oolongs to get the other girls back from him. Here Trunks has no reason to dress up other than "Herp a derp, bad homage!" No one is kidnapped so there's no point. It's just stupid writing again. Wow this first part before Bebi shows up really sucks so far.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
sintzu wrote:Anyway what they should have done was have each z fighter (goku-vegeta-gohan-piccolo-goten-trunks-uub)go after one ball and have each one fight an epic villian to show what they have learned in the 15 years since the buu arc
That would have been pretty cool.
Actually I changed my mind; in this scenario Vegeta should stay on Earth to protect it, because someone has to. The 7th Z Fighter going after the Black Star DBs could be Pan instead -- or Mr Buu for maximum lolzing.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm at the Lord Luud parts now. They aren't so bad. Though the whole fight with Muchi was weird and very anti climatic. Also Trunks seems really really weak being unable to hold up a bunch of bricks...and then takes forever to just go SSJ. They also keep turning SSJ on and off for some odd reason. I'm nearing the end of the Luud conflict. Luud seems to be a legitimate threat for once.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:
sintzu wrote:Anyway what they should have done was have each z fighter (goku-vegeta-gohan-piccolo-goten-trunks-uub)go after one ball and have each one fight an epic villian to show what they have learned in the 15 years since the buu arc
That would have been pretty cool.
Actually I changed my mind; in this scenario Vegeta should stay on Earth to protect it, because someone has to. The 7th Z Fighter going after the Black Star DBs could be Pan instead -- or Mr Buu for maximum lolzing.
As long as vegeta gets to fight a villian in ssj3
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Cetra wrote: It should have been something like this:

Baby MCs Yamchu and Tenshinhan. He fights Goten.
Baby MCs Goten. He fights Gohan.
Baby MCs Gohan and a kickass Ultimate Baby Gohan vs Vegeta battle unleashes.
Vegeta is so strong, that Gohan goes the now even stronger Super Saiyajin.
Vegeta goes Super Saiyajin 3 and Gohan is eventually defeated as Super Saiyajin 3 is even more badass than 15 years ago, even more than Super Saiyajin Gohan.
Baby either then controls Vegeta or waits for Goku and Vegeta to team up and then sneaks into Vegeta's body.
Mega-Saiyajin Baby Vegeta defeats the handycaped SSJ3 Goku and then becomes Super Baby Vegeta.
Oob arrives and fuses with Boo after losing. Then he fights Baby again.
He fights good its let himself getting eaten on purpose to use his magic later in an unexpected moment.
The Final Battle with SSJ4 Goku and Super/Giant Ape Baby Vegeta.
I'd keep goku at ssj3 insted of adding a new ssj form so soon cause as of the end of the buu arc we haven't seen what ssj3 can really do and the same goes for baby so no golden ozaru and absolutely no goku turning back into a kid

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 20, 2014 12:30 am

Nothing in GT holds up IMO, even the much praised Baby arc is still absolute garbage to me and I find it amazing that people like it. We got a retread of the Garlic Jr arc with everybody being turned evil again (how original) and let's not forget the gigantic flop that was Majuub, what a waste of an interesting character..

But the true shining moment of the Baby arc would have to be the BS contrived story of Goku disappearing mid battle and having the Kais pull what looks like a turd from bis backside. At that point I was ashamed for the first time to be a fan of Dragonball.

I could spend the whole day ripping GT but it's just so easy that it's sad.

psi_brg
Not-So-Newbie

Post by psi_brg » Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 am

sintzu wrote:I'd keep goku at ssj3 insted of adding a new ssj form so soon cause as of the end of the buu arc we haven't seen what ssj3 can really do and the same goes for baby so no golden ozaru and absolutely no goku turning back into a kid
I agree on the SSJ3 aspect, I really wanted to see more - I know on earth Goku's body couldn't stay long in that form in DBZ - So more of this YES, with the same attitude that goku had, the whole - *you have forced me into this but you dunno what you're in for son* lol

SSJ4 I like that as it represents wukong really well, probably the best thing to come out of DBGT IMO.

But goku turned into a kid for the entire show, but some how turns into an adult when ssj4 = zero logic going on
"Huh? Oh no! Now it's... the... Z Daggar!"
- Mystic Gohan

Get the best DBZ Torso T's Here @JustSaiyan

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:16 am

Well things got better around the beginning of M2. Also Gill>>>>>Pan. Gill beats up big monster, Pan does not :lol: . Gill kicks ass at video games too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 20, 2014 2:28 am

psi_brg wrote:
sintzu wrote:I'd keep goku at ssj3 insted of adding a new ssj form so soon cause as of the end of the buu arc we haven't seen what ssj3 can really do and the same goes for baby so no golden ozaru and absolutely no goku turning back into a kid
I agree on the SSJ3 aspect, I really wanted to see more - I know on earth Goku's body couldn't stay long in that form in DBZ - So more of this YES, with the same attitude that goku had, the whole - *you have forced me into this but you dunno what you're in for son* lol

SSJ4 I like that as it represents wukong really well, probably the best thing to come out of DBGT IMO.

But goku turned into a kid for the entire show, but some how turns into an adult when ssj4 = zero logic going on
I like ssj4 as well but i think it should have had a diffrent name and leave ssj up to 3

What they should have done with goku is have be an adult after he went ssj4

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue May 20, 2014 4:58 am

Cetra wrote:Baby MCs Yamchu and Tenshinhan. He fights Goten.
Baby MCs Goten. He fights Gohan.
Baby MCs Gohan and a kickass Ultimate Baby Gohan vs Vegeta battle unleashes.
Vegeta is so strong, that Gohan goes the now even stronger Super Saiyajin.
Vegeta goes Super Saiyajin 3 and Gohan is eventually defeated as Super Saiyajin 3 is even more badass than 15 years ago, even more than Super Saiyajin Gohan.
Baby either then controls Vegeta or waits for Goku and Vegeta to team up and then sneaks into Vegeta's body.
Mega-Saiyajin Baby Vegeta defeats the handycaped SSJ3 Goku and then becomes Super Baby Vegeta.
Oob arrives and fuses with Boo after losing. Then he fights Baby again.
He fights good its let himself getting eaten on purpose to use his magic later in an unexpected moment.
The Final Battle with SSJ4 Goku and Super/Giant Ape Baby Vegeta.
To be honest, I think it all sort of plays out pretty well as it is. Sure, there's the Gohan Super Saiyan thing, and the Goten/Gohan vs Vegeta fight is incredibly lame - but the stretch of episodes leading up to the fall of Super Saiyan 3 Goku is probably when GT is most interesting for me.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am

what sucks is how it didn't even have any references to frieza's empire. Would have tied it together so much better if some of those random groups were swapped to be spliter factions of the world trade staking their claim over small parts of the galaxy, and otherwise making more references to the world trade and the upheaval following the disappearance of it's leader.

Having vegeta go with them, and act as the 'guide' could also have been useful, he's been around and could have heard of many planets, and even shared dynamics with some of the newly introduced aliens, invoking old grudges or even being mistaken as still being a solider himself, even dredging up some history of the crimes he's responsible for.
(I second the other characters getting more involvement too, though my thought wasn't for the BSdragonball hunt but rather the shadow dragons. Each of the characters(some in teams) facing a shadow dragon.)

One thought I had was that perhaps the whole thing would have worked better if they had goku literally become his kid self again. Would have been amusing to see his reaction to some of his old friends, given him a logical nerf that would have given better balance/tension to his fights again (able to have him rediscover his powers through the series), and even given an excuse to have him NOT be such a focus.
(leave him behind on earth, have the others go to space. Hell have bebi possess goku instead ;) It could be how he gets back to being an adult and regains his tail)

Man, I kinda wanna map out an 'improved GT' as an exercise/to put my money where my mouth is - Constraints being that it has to retain all of GT's most distinctive/iconic pieces [since personally I'd do away with a lot of them if given free reign, kid goku and ssj4 would be on the chopping block :P] while salvaging it into something good. Hey, wasn't that what someone here was doing as a fan fic already? (it's been so long I can't remember, might search around)
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I found a lot of the characters to be forgettable and annoying. Pan to me was the Scrappy Doo of the Dragon Ball franchise. It should have been just Goku, Ubb and Trunks going along to space. Maybe throw Goten as well.

I do agree about Toei butchering Pan's character, but I wouldn't have pushed her to the background. I'd love to see both her, Uub, Goten, Bra and Trunks as the next generation of senshi.

I think Pan would have been better as more action-oriented instead of comedic. It would be refreshing to see her battle as a strong fighter without the nagging quality atypical of Dragonball female characters. Even though Uub is considered Goku's successor (in a sense), I would love to have seen the torch pass on to Pan since she is Gohan's daughter and has Goku's blood flowing through her veins.

Bra would be an interesting character if she had a combination of Bulma's intellect and Vegeta's fighting drive.

I could see Uub bin g sort if a leader ff the younger ones with Trunks and Gohan as their teachers. They should have been the focus of GT since many of the originals are aging. I can even seen Goku and Vegeta concerning themselves with fighting all out against one another and allowing the saving to the others for once.
Last edited by Karrit on Tue May 20, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue May 20, 2014 7:19 pm

It's like everyone forgot "Oh yeah, we have super powers!"
This is exactly why GT as a whole (and the early bits especially) always annoyed me. You could literally trim out entire episodes by adding a scene of Goku stopping for a moment, saying "whoops, forgot I could fly!" and then zipping off to wherever...

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Seems like it's really just the early beginning of the arc that's absolute horseshit. Once Lood comes in, things get better. From then on out things aren't so bad. Though still I feel a lot of problems can be solved with "Bitch I'm Goku" and one shotting. Funny enough I'm at a point where it should be "Bitches I'm Kibitoshin" and then knocking out Dende and Mr. Popo with a chop. I'm gonna see if things fall as low as the beginning of the first arc's first few episodes.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 pm

I think Pan over stay her welcome though. I think after the Bebi saga, she would have been a supporting character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Tue May 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Pan over stay her welcome though. I think after the Bebi saga, she would have been a supporting character.
Toei version definitely. It she were a more likable character like she was at the end of Z, then I could justify her being in the entire series. I am admittedly all for a strong female character, but I don't care for this nagging, whining version of Pan. Honestly, the only time she didn't bother me was during the scene where she helps golden ape Goku to remember who he is.