A serious question about a silly topic

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

A serious question about a silly topic

Post by GS7X7 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Alright, so if a Saiyan with an afro were to go Super Saiyan....

how would the hair react?

The only official Super Saiyans so far have had non-curly, silk hair and it reacts by becoming spiky, blonde and going upwards as if defying gravity.

What impact would this have on someone with an afro? I've seen fanart speculation just show black Gokus with blonde afros but I assume the effects on an afro would be more extreme than just that. (wouldn't all the hairs uncurl and go straight out rather than remaining as one ball?)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: A serious question about a silly topic

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 pm

The only information we have on the matter.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 pm

So basically it loses all of it's kinkiness and curliness without losing form when exposed to water.

Geez, going Super Saiyan has got to be the ultimate Relaxer of all time!

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 am

It'd be like that commercial in coming to America

Let your (super saiyan) soul glooow and get a jheei curl

:D

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 am

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/hist ... lack-goku/
http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/fans ... lack-goku/

Looks like Da Black Goku was wrong all along about afro Super Saiyan styles. (well, except for Trunks kinda in one of the photos)

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm

GS7X7 wrote:http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/hist ... lack-goku/
http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/fans ... lack-goku/

Looks like Da Black Goku was wrong all along about afro Super Saiyan styles. (well, except for Trunks kinda in one of the photos)
That's a nice fade in the first pic

SSJ3 should be busta rhymes like dreads imo

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Alright, so if a Saiyan with an afro were to go Super Saiyan....

The only official Super Saiyans so far have had non-curly, silk hair and it reacts by becoming spiky, blonde and going upwards as if defying gravity.

What impact would this have on someone with an afro? I've seen fanart speculation just show black Gokus with blonde afros but I assume the effects on an afro would be more extreme than just that. (wouldn't all the hairs uncurl and go straight out rather than remaining as one ball?)
What if you're bald like Nappa? Do you GROW hair?
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

Ookalf

Post by Ookalf » Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 am

thekingfallsdown wrote:
GS7X7 wrote:Alright, so if a Saiyan with an afro were to go Super Saiyan....

What if you're bald like Nappa? Do you GROW hair?
According to Dragon Ball Online, yes. You can see it a few seconds into the video TheDevilsCorpse posted.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:20 am

So basically baldies wind up with a lil' mohawk, seeming to suggest that Super Saiyan causes some hair to grow out in the middle of the head? I don't know- but from a gameplay perspective, a bald Super Saiyan would be dull.

Toriyama did consult on the game so... I guess that makes it canon.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sat May 24, 2014 3:16 am

Is Mr. T a known person in Japan? Because this could qualify as a sideways reference to him......maybe?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat May 24, 2014 4:05 am

I think it depends on what type of "afro" you're referring to. There's many different kinds of curly hair especially when you take into consideration mixed race people. Even amongst purely black people you can also find looser curls. For the springy "nappy" type of hair I'de imagine if it was cut at the same length like a ball afro you wouldn't see much difference really. Maybe the hairs might uncurl more giving it a wilder appearance, kind of like when people with straight hair touch one of those electric balls that make hair stand on end except with way more hair strands.

Depending on how loose the curls are I think it would just come to a point where the hair would straighten out. Even though it could look cool to have curly super saiyan hair I can't see animators or manga artists bothering to draw anything that isn't straight and simplified.