Why has Dragonball animation production stopped completely?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Why has Dragonball animation production stopped completely?

Post by masenko » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Videogame intros aside, Dragonball hasn't been animated since GT ended almost ten years ago. My question: WHY? Dragonball is obviously a profitable market as new clothing, toys, videogames, etc. come out all the time. Why hasn't Toei made some sort of new series or even movie for that matter with one of the most popular names in Anime. FUNimation has been milking this series to death in the US and yet Toei sees not one opportunity to make a huge profit off of a great name?
I mean, if I was the owner of Toei and I saw what had become of the Dragonball name, wouldn't I try at least a few times to get it back into production with or without Toriyama. I know that would upset Fanboys but from a purely profitable standpoint isn't it a great idea? Why Not?
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Xyex
I Live Here

Re: Why has Dragonball animation production stopped complete

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm

masenko wrote:Videogame intros aside, Dragonball hasn't been animated since GT ended almost ten years ago. My question: WHY? Dragonball is obviously a profitable market as new clothing, toys, videogames, etc. come out all the time. Why hasn't Toei made some sort of new series or even movie for that matter with one of the most popular names in Anime. FUNimation has been milking this series to death in the US and yet Toei sees not one opportunity to make a huge profit off of a great name?
I mean, if I was the owner of Toei and I saw what had become of the Dragonball name, wouldn't I try at least a few times to get it back into production with or without Toriyama. I know that would upset Fanboys but from a purely profitable standpoint isn't it a great idea? Why Not?
They took the cheaper way of making lots of fast cash. They released the Dragonboxes. They'll probably come up with a new movie for the 25th aniversary.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:13 pm

masenko wrote:FUNimation has been milking this series to death in the US and yet Toei sees not one opportunity to make a huge profit off of a great name?
They already did. Ten years ago. And they actually are taking the opportunity a bit with the onslaught of all kinds of merchandise in Japan to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:07 pm

I can only hope they'd release some new movie/mini-series for the 25th anniversary. Merchandice is nice, but...I'd rather have something new and animated instead.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:06 am

I think a movie or something that helps bring in new fans is a must. DragonBall must be revived.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:48 am

If they do anything, it would be a complete re-make of Dragonball and Dragonball Z, sticking completely to the Manga and using the best of Animation possible.

But I think they'll stick to merch and re-releasing.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:14 am

If they avoid filler, I can see them knocking out DragonBall within a few years

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Xyex wrote:
masenko wrote:Videogame intros aside, Dragonball hasn't been animated since GT ended almost ten years ago. My question: WHY? Dragonball is obviously a profitable market as new clothing, toys, videogames, etc. come out all the time. Why hasn't Toei made some sort of new series or even movie for that matter with one of the most popular names in Anime. FUNimation has been milking this series to death in the US and yet Toei sees not one opportunity to make a huge profit off of a great name?
They took the cheaper way of making lots of fast cash. They released the Dragonboxes. They'll probably come up with a new movie for the 25th aniversary.
That's what I figure as well. Besides, people bitch over GT as it is. Would you rather enjoy all that there is now, or risk having something similar to what they've done to Transformers? Personally I'd just want another anniversary movie and/or a mini-series that has nothing to do with GT.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:25 pm

I hope they never make another Dragonball series. Dragonball had its days in the sun, and with 3 tv series, 17 movies and 3 specials, it tells a complete story that needs no continuation. Anything new would seem tacked on, and a straightforward retelling of the series--as someone suggested in this thread-- would be an utter bore.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:00 pm

I think the problem we all have is the anti-climatic end to DBZ and then the disaster that was GT. We are looking for closure and it doesn't come well with GT. I will always consider Path to Power the end to all DragonBall until a suitable finale is made.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:31 pm

IF Dragonball was continued in anyway, I would want it to be an alternate story, not a direct continuation...maybe something about the ancient history of Buu, or the more recent history of Freeza. Continuing the series would anger purists, and seeing as Toriyama probably wouldn't be involved, might be another GT-style crapathon.

A 25th anniversary movie would be cool, though...

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:34 pm

The side stories you mention do not involve the DragonBalls in anyway so I doubt it would be accepted as a DragonBall series.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Think about it. What more could you possibly do with it? Dragon Ball GT completely ended it and clearly showed in the final episode that it was the end to Son Goku's story and of the Dragon Ball world. The last thing people want is another fiasco like Dragon Ball GT.

rei-chan

Post by rei-chan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:48 pm

I think that if Toei DID do another DB anything, we'd all just be dissapointed.
I would much rather see Toriyama do a new manga for me to fall in love with. :wink:
Last edited by rei-chan on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam-chan: I have one hundred fifty seven crushes right now. Yes, one more than listed on my bishounen list... maybe one of them is real .... *twilight zone*
www.livejournal.com/usesrs/iheartduo

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 pm

I don't think so. New DB series would just be utterly destuctrable. I mean, the only thing I'm wishing is that for the 25th anniversary, a DBZ remake should be made. I mean, ten years ago, there was Dragon Ball: The Path to Power. Then, fifteen years later....Dragon Ball Z: [Working Title].

I just don't want to see a DBGT remake for the 50th anniversary.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:10 am

Eclipse wrote:I just don't want to see a DBGT remake for the 50th anniversary.
I doubt one would even exist since most of the voice actors would be dead by then. :P Some of 'em are pretty old right now, especially Masako Nozawa.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:38 am

I’d actually be interested in seeing what could be done with a new DBZ special. It could be good, or it could be really bad. But it’s been quite a while since they made GT, so I’m going to keep my hopes up. As for Toriyama working on something like that, I don’t think it would be such a good idea. Considering that Toriyama had previously tried to end Dragon Ball something like 3 times, I think he’s definitely done with it, so any further work my lack the motivation for it to be his best work/effort.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:52 am

Eclipse wrote:I don't think so. New DB series would just be utterly destuctrable. I mean, the only thing I'm wishing is that for the 25th anniversary, a DBZ remake should be made. I mean, ten years ago, there was Dragon Ball: The Path to Power. Then, fifteen years later....Dragon Ball Z: [Working Title].

I just don't want to see a DBGT remake for the 50th anniversary.
I favor the name "Ultimate Dragonball Z"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:24 am

Socar15 wrote:I’d actually be interested in seeing what could be done with a new DBZ special. It could be good, or it could be really bad. But it’s been quite a while since they made GT, so I’m going to keep my hopes up. As for Toriyama working on something like that, I don’t think it would be such a good idea. Considering that Toriyama had previously tried to end Dragon Ball something like 3 times, I think he’s definitely done with it, so any further work my lack the motivation for it to be his best work/effort.
25th anniversary seems like excellent motivation to simply do character sketches again. If it were a special manga, although I'd prefer a mini-series (five chapters to a full tankoubon), I'd only expect another cameo in whatever he's SLOWLY working on at the time (a la NMZ).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 pm

25th anniversary seems like excellent motivation to simply do character sketches again.
Hmmm....maybe. Maybe
I doubt one would even exist since most of the voice actors would be dead by then. Some of 'em are pretty old right now, especially Masako Nozawa.
True. But then, if I am right and Toei can edit their anime master so the music disapear, leaving the audio, they can easily rip and edit the voice actor's lines from 1996. So basically, they're bringing back the actors, even though they're in the grave. It was the idea behind the documentary 2Pac:Resurrection. The GT remake (if there was one, and I doubt one) would be either 2036, or 2046 (1. 50 years since 1986 2. 50 years since 1996). I'm pretty sure computer technology would be advanced enough to make the voices seem seamless without the voice changing due to emotion, etc. Anyone want to contradict me?

:D