Herms watches the show (update: DB 29)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 24-25)

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Herms wrote:--In the manga, the pair of panties that Kuririn pulls out to distract Jackie are labelled “girl’s panties”, as if he got them from a museum exhibit or something. They’re not labelled in the anime. As a side note, the Viz manga for some strange reason changed the label to “If found, please return to Bulma”, which is pretty weird considering Kuririn and Bulma only just briefly met each other right before the tournament started. Kuririn…acts fast. Apparently.
And that is why Kuririn is awesome. 8) Perhaps it would have made more sense if they'd made it Lunch's panties though? Now that I think about it, that's the most logical place for him to have gotten some, even in the manga.

...Re-reading this now, it occurs to me I should clarify. By 'gotten some', I mean where he got a pair of panties, not...well...yeah... :lol:
The Funi subtitles never provide a translation for Tenku Peke-ji Ken, but it’s basically “Heavenly X-Mark Attack”. Specifically, peke refers to x-marks as used to indicate the wrong answer on tests and whatnot. I think the joke is that it seems a bit out of place in an otherwise traditional fancy kanji attack name.
The fact that FUNi put in no translation for that annoyed the hell out of me when I was first watching this all in Japanese. Is it a particularly hard translation to figure out perhaps, that whoever did Dragon Ball (I seem to recall it wasn't Simmons, right?) couldn't quite figure out maybe?
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

No, it wasn't Simmons that did the bulk of DB. It was Clyde Mandelin
dbgtFO wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Really
Big
Guy
Voiced
By
Daisuke
Gori
I think Herms had the R stand for "Requisite."
Even if it's not, Requisite is funnier, so I'm going with that. It makes it seem like everytime the casting director needed or was stumped for a character that need a deep voice, they went to Daisuke Gori. Incidentally, that's the reason Sabat got so many roles.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Simmons did these early episodes, actually.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Adamant wrote:I'm pretty sure Simmons did these early episodes, actually.
Maybe episodes 1-28, but I know for certain that Mandelin did the bulk of DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:53 am

A weird note. Goku's age wasn't mentioned in the dub of the Emperor Pilaf Saga, but it was mentioned here. He said that Launch taught him how to count, and that he is 12, not 14. Krillin states that he's 13. Bulma's comment is different as well. She says that she thought Goku was closer to her age. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Herms wrote:--I understand the idea behind afterimages, but the way the series portrays them as just hanging in the air long, long after the fact makes no sense. It’s one of those stylization things you just have to go with.
Not sure I understood what you meant. Are you referring to the afterimages lingering for a few seconds after being punched/kicked?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Would you say that you enjoy the filler-less episodes more than the filler heavy ones, so far?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 pm

ABED wrote:
Just to clarify, episodes 1-13 and 29-153 were translated by Clyde Mandelin, but Steve Simmons did 14-28. :wink:
-Joey

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:14 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
ABED wrote:
Just to clarify, episodes 1-13 and 29-153 were translated by Clyde Mandelin, but Steve Simmons did 14-28. :wink:
Thanks, man.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks for that further clarification, all I could ever remember reading was that Dragon Ball had a different translator, but I guess it did for the bulk of it so that's probably why Simmons' work on it is overlooked. Still though, why in the heck did he leave that attack name untranslated with no notes of any kind? :?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Herms watches the show (update: DB 26)

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:14 am

Episode 26
The Final Round!! Kamehameha

--There’s an overhead shot of the tournament arena at the start of the episode, and the audience looks remarkably small. Maybe a lot of people lost interest and didn’t stick around for the finals.

--There’s another recap of all the previous fights in the tournament. While it does make sense to have this sort of thing before the final match, it’s also…what, the third time we’ve had this sort of thing?

--Before the match kicks off, there’s a bit of filler as Oolong gets back from an unsuccessful search for Kame-sennin. Then the tournament announcer decides to briefly interview the two finalists. Goku vows to fight to give the fight everything he’s got, while Jackie…has fallen asleep standing up. Then, as the two go into their fighting stances and prepare to square off, the anime adds in a fiery background behind them.

--It is of course impossible to see Goku flying back into the ring by spinning his tail like a helicopter blade without thinking of Tails, but this episode came out about six years before Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Oh, and in case you were wondering about the name of this technique, Daizenshuu 7 helpfully dubs it “Flying through the Air by Spinning Your Tail”. Yep.

--When Goku matter-of-factly says he could have also fired a Kamehameha to get back into the ring, Jackie is outraged that Goku would compare his newbie Kamehameha to Jackie’s own highly refined version. He brags that it took him decades to “invent” his Kamehameha, and in the manga this passes by without comment. In the anime though, Goku wonders what Jackie means, since Kame-sennin is the one who invented the Kamehameha. Jackie quickly covers by saying that while he didn’t invent the technique itself, he did add several improvements. These “improvements”, it turns out, are a bunch of stupid Ginyu Force-style poses he does before actually firing the blast. Nice save.

--While it’s funny, the above filler does kind of kill the momentum leading into Goku and Jackie’s Kamehameha clash, the very first “beam struggle” we get in the series. There’ll be several more of these down the road, and while they’re usually big dramatic moments, I think it’s probably video games that have really cemented the idea of beam struggles as a standard feature of DB fights. In DB video games they seem to pop up all the time. It’s a bit like how in most games you can rattle off several Genki-Damas or Father-Son Kamehamehas in the course of a single fight.

--After the beam struggle, Jackie thinks to himself that Goku is so darn good that not only will he have to fight all-out, but he’ll even need to come up with a strategy. The anime modifies this so that he says he’ll need to come up with a strategy “during the commercial”. Cue commercial break.

--When Goku nails Jackie with an especially hard hit to the head, Jackie complains about Goku hitting “his own teacher”. Goku gets all confused: “Kame-sennin’s my teacher!” Jackie desperately covers by saying he got mixed up, and in the manga things move on. In the anime though, Jackie explains his confusion by revealing that he and Kame-sennin are actually cousins (because God knows, when I get hit on the head, I think I’m my cousin). To illustrate this, he pulls out a family tree that he just so happened to have up his sleeve. This man has clearly thought ahead. Interestingly, this family tree shows the face of Kame-sennin’s father. Obviously there’s no reason to think anything on that family tree is true, but still, if anyone needs to draw Kame-sennin’s dad for their fan fiction or something, I guess it can’t hurt to use that image as a guide.

--Following that nonsense, Jackie Chun busts out the legendary Sui-Ken or “Drunken Fist” technique (Zui-Quan in Chinese). Given his name, it was probably inevitable that Jackie would use that technique sooner or later. Toriyama says in DB Forever and other interviews that he’s watched Drunken Master dozens of times, and that his love for those sorts of kung-fu movies was a big inspiration to draw Dragon Ball in the first place.

--But people like me who first saw this episode on Toonami will think not of the Drunk Fist technique but of the “Crazy Cow” attack, which is one of those bits of censorship that’s so bizarre you just have to love it. Or at least I do. There’s nothing quite like the sight of Jackie lurching around going “I’m a crazy cow!” with images of milk bottles in the background.

--The episode wraps up with a rare example of a scene in the manga that’s simply left out of the anime. Goku’s unable to mimic Jackie’s technique since he’s never been drunk (and definitely has never been a crazy cow). He runs to the corner of the ring with his back to Jackie, and begins trembling and making weird sounds, almost as if he were crying. In the manga, he suddenly turns around and reveals a face like a vicious, drooling dog. He charges Jackie on all fours, but while Jackie cringes in terror, he unexpectedly summersaults over him and kicks him from behind. Jackie: “What kind of attack was that?!” Goku: “Kyou-Ken!” The joke being that “Kyou-Ken” can mean both “Crazy Attack” and “mad dog”.

--Apparently though, the anime staff thought that joke relied too heavily on how things were written, and so wouldn’t work too well as spoken dialogue. So they cut the whole thing out: in the anime, Goku runs to the corner with his back towards Jackie, but rather than bust out the Kyou-Ken, he launches straight into the Saru-Ken/Monkey Attack from chapter 49. Perhaps because they had to cover for the missing Kyou-Ken segment, the Saru-Ken scene is really dragged out for all it’s worth.

--On that note, chapter 49 is the start of DB volume 5, and Viz’s translation of DB volume 5 was the first DB manga volume I ever read, as well as one of my first manga volumes all-around. It was definitely the first non-flipped manga I ever read, since despite reading the whole “this book reads right to left” explanation first, it still took me a little while to really get the hang of it. I read the first couple panels of the Saru-Ken sequence in the wrong order before putting 2 and 2 together.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:27 am

There's actually a major Goku reference in Sonic the Hedgehog. Gather the 7 Emeralds and turn into SSJ Sonic.

This series was my introduction to unflipped manga as well, since Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha were flipped. I believe it was around the chapter where #17 fights Piccolo.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:32 am

Just to clarify, the uncut dub does keep the "Drunken" attack.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:11 am

Kid Buu wrote:There's actually a major Goku reference in Sonic the Hedgehog. Gather the 7 Emeralds and turn into SSJ Sonic.
I also heard the special stages in Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles where you run around those pseudo-3D spheres were based on Kaio's planet.
Valerius Dover wrote:Just to clarify, the uncut dub does keep the "Drunken" attack.
I figured as much, but it's good to know for sure.

I've kind of fallen behind on responding to comments, so here's my backlog:
Kid Buu wrote:What is with Yamcha defeating all these anime-original characters voiced by Daisuke Gori? :lol:
It's probably some sort of Pokemon thing. He does x4 damage against anyone voiced by Daisuke Gori.
JulieYBM wrote:Check this YouTube channel I set up. It has all of Gouri Daisuke's Dragon Ball roles I was able to dig up. Gouri voices many different Nameless Big Guys, but I don't think he ever repeats. In fact, he voices two entirely different Orinji monks in two entirely different episodes. I guess Gouri was used a lot because he was close with the audio director or one of the series directors. Either way, it's always a lot of fun to hear him play those bit parts because he plays them so well.
That's a really cool YouTube channel! I probably shouldn't spoil myself too much on which episodes Gori will pop up in though.
Gaffer Tape wrote:About the announcer, you're right. Utsumi Kenji (Shenlong, Commander Red... Senbei!) plays the announcer through all of the tournament arcs, but he doesn't reprise the role in Z, which I think is a huge loss because his announcer is absolutely amazing.
Good, so I'm not crazy (in this particular way). Although I have seen the anime for the 23rd TB before, so I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on this before.
linkdude20002001 wrote:The exchange rate at the time was ¥500,000 = $2,100. But adjusted for inflation, that's $4,649.86. So, like you said, it's pretty much just a $5,000 prize.
Ah, thanks. I'm surprised that there's been that much inflation, but then, it has been 30 years.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:As for if they would have left it untranslated if they were dubbing it today? Hmm...kind of hard to call really. A lot of people tend to associate kaiju only with the 'giant' monsters, so for something like Giran, I dunno if they'd have left it alone and invited in that confusion from fans who were familiar with the term but not necessarily it's real definition.
Well, what makes it complicated is that Giran is definitely inspired by and supposed to invoke those Godzilla-style giant monsters, even though he isn't actually gigantic. Toriyama even says in DB Forever that he came up with the name "Giran" because it sounds like one of those Toho monster names. It's a bit like in Dr. Slump where there are all those tiny versions of Gamera, Godzilla, and co. running around. So I think people probably would be able to understand the idea that he's supposed to be like a kaiju, even if he's not actually gigantic. All that said, I wouldn't particularly want them to leave kaiju untranslated, I just wonder if they'd be more likely to do so now than at the time. It is the approach Viz took from the get-go, but that probably says more about Viz (or at least old school Viz) than anything.
MCDaveG wrote:I really enjoy this topic!
Go on Herms! I wonder how quickly you will finish the series and what will be your toughts :)
I see that you are more fan of the manga?
Glad people are liking this. I keep trying to get this on a daily schedule, but even if I manage that this will still end up taking almost two years at least. I've always been more of a manga fan for various reasons (I'm more of a "book person" in general, I don't like filler, etc). So while with most of the episodes from this period I'm only seeing them for the first or second time, I've read the manga version many times before.
DNA wrote:Funny you should mention Panpoot. I've been thinking about that and it would have made much more sense to have Panpoot be eliminated by Goku in the preliminaries and have King Chapa take his place; you know, a much more interesting characater?
Maybe, but the whole idea with Chapa is "oh no, Goku's up against an incredibly strong opponent in the preliminaries!" If you move him to the main tournament then he's not nearly as interesting. It does make Pan-Poot seem anticlimactic, but I think he's supposed to be anticlimactic. Really, I think the main problem is that after Goku finishes training with Karin, there's a long series of fights where he does amazingly well against opponents who are supposed to be super strong. The rematch with Tao Pai-Pai, taking down the RR, the Mummy, Akkuman, a little bit with Gohan (they have a good fight, but Goku still seems to have a leg up on him), the Pilaf Robot, Chapa...by the time we get to Pan-Poot, it's a little hard to care that Goku has again easily defeated someone who is really strong by ordinary standards.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:The fact that FUNi put in no translation for that annoyed the hell out of me when I was first watching this all in Japanese. Is it a particularly hard translation to figure out perhaps, that whoever did Dragon Ball (I seem to recall it wasn't Simmons, right?) couldn't quite figure out maybe?
Attack names that are long strings of kanji can be hard to figure out the exact meaning of if you're just hearing them said out loud and don't have the written form as a reference. They're often a few different things that they could potentially mean, and since they're made-up names for fictional attacks it's not always easy to narrow it down. So that might be a factor. I remember whenever Simmons was interviewed on the podcast, he expressed regret at not including technique name translations in GT.
alakazam^ wrote:
Herms wrote:--I understand the idea behind afterimages, but the way the series portrays them as just hanging in the air long, long after the fact makes no sense. It’s one of those stylization things you just have to go with.
Not sure I understood what you meant. Are you referring to the afterimages lingering for a few seconds after being punched/kicked?
Yeah, that's it.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Would you say that you enjoy the filler-less episodes more than the filler heavy ones, so far?
Overall, probably. Or at least, I like it when the filler is kept separate from the manga material. Like with the Giran episode, which is basically one half of pure filler followed by one half of pure then half manga, it managed to keep a good pace because the filler was all a self-contained side-story. Most of the Pilaf filler from the first 13 episodes works more or less the same way. It's when filler is used to take a sequence from the manga and stretch it out as long as possible that it gets annoying.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:47 am

Overall, probably. Or at least, I like it when the filler is kept separate from the manga material. Like with the Giran episode, which is basically one half of pure filler followed by one half of pure then half manga, it managed to keep a good pace because the filler was all a self-contained side-story. Most of the Pilaf filler from the first 13 episodes works more or less the same way. It's when filler is used to take a sequence from the manga and stretch it out as long as possible that it gets annoying.
I get what you mean. Plus, it's easier to skip that way. The filler I like is mostly either filler-only stories (like the Otherworld tournament) or small bits of "filler" that happened in the manga but weren't shown (like Buu's fight with the Kaioshin).
--When Goku nails Jackie with an especially hard hit to the head, Jackie complains about Goku hitting “his own teacher”. Goku gets all confused: “Kame-sennin’s my teacher!” Jackie desperately covers by saying he got mixed up, and in the manga things move on. In the anime though, Jackie explains his confusion by revealing that he and Kame-sennin are actually cousins (because God knows, when I get hit on the head, I think I’m my cousin). To illustrate this, he pulls out a family tree that he just so happened to have up his sleeve. This man has clearly thought ahead. Interestingly, this family tree shows the face of Kame-sennin’s father. Obviously there’s no reason to think anything on that family tree is true, but still, if anyone needs to draw Kame-sennin’s dad for their fan fiction or something, I guess it can’t hurt to use that image as a guide.
Well... at least now he kinda has an excuse for why he looks just like their teacher. I also like that he just carries around a fake family tree, likely in case anyone notices the resemblance.
--There’s another recap of all the previous fights in the tournament. While it does make sense to have this sort of thing before the final match, it’s also…what, the third time we’ve had this sort of thing?
They gotta pad out that these episodes somehow!
While it’s funny, the above filler does kind of kill the momentum leading into Goku and Jackie’s Kamehameha clash, the very first “beam struggle” we get in the series. There’ll be several more of these down the road, and while they’re usually big dramatic moments, I think it’s probably video games that have really cemented the idea of beam struggles as a standard feature of DB fights.
Yeah, it was used surprisingly few times in the manga looking back. The anime does it a lot more, though.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:56 am

Herms wrote:I also heard the special stages in Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles where you run around those pseudo-3D spheres were based on Kaio's planet.
Never heard of that before. Interesting.
Herms wrote:It's probably some sort of Pokemon thing. He does x4 damage against anyone voiced by Daisuke Gori.
Speaking of which, I wish BoG added a gag of Yamcha using the Rougafuufuuken against Beerus, and it secretly hurts Beerus because wolfs are generally superior to cats. However, Beerus shrugs it off and keeps trying to act like it didn't hurt him. :lol:
Herms wrote:Maybe, but the whole idea with Chapa is "oh no, Goku's up against an incredibly strong opponent in the preliminaries!" If you move him to the main tournament then he's not nearly as interesting. It does make Pan-Poot seem anticlimactic, but I think he's supposed to be anticlimactic. Really, I think the main problem is that after Goku finishes training with Karin, there's a long series of fights where he does amazingly well against opponents who are supposed to be super strong. The rematch with Tao Pai-Pai, taking down the RR, the Mummy, Akkuman, a little bit with Gohan (they have a good fight, but Goku still seems to have a leg up on him), the Pilaf Robot, Chapa...by the time we get to Pan-Poot, it's a little hard to care that Goku has again easily defeated someone who is really strong by ordinary standards.
I think Kid Goku suffered from a reverse-Yamcha syndrome where because he had so much stock from winning, and thus hyping up matches like Chapa and Pan-Poot became too predictable. It might have been better had Toriyama utilized his side characters more or had Kid Goku job more, such as losing to Tenshinhan without the technicality.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:07 pm

My problem with Chapa is that he's actually a fleshed out character with back story, who reappears in the Daimao arc and then again in the next tournament once again to lose against Goku in the preliminaries. For such an impressive character who's supposedly won a whole Tenkaichi Budokai without taking a hit... It's just embarrassing. He should have been the one to fight Goku in the main matches, as a worthy opponent and not used as basically a joke/measuring stick for Goku.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:53 pm

I remember being really weirded out by the absence of the Kyou-Ken sequence when I first got the two-disc Tournament Saga. Even in the finished episode it looks like there's a cut there (Goku starts to slowly turn his head to face Jackie and suddenly the footage jumps to him facing Jackie full-on), as if they had gone to the trouble of animating the segment before deciding it didn't belong (actually, my reaction when I first saw this was to blame FUNimation, as was my wont at the time, thinking they had for some reason done some trimming on what was supposed to be an uncut DVD). But then, the Saru-Ken sequence in the anime contains footage that the manga has happen during the Kyou-Ken, such as Goku kicking Jackie into the wall. Maybe they rearranged some stuff where possible?
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Herms wrote:Attack names that are long strings of kanji can be hard to figure out the exact meaning of if you're just hearing them said out loud and don't have the written form as a reference. They're often a few different things that they could potentially mean, and since they're made-up names for fictional attacks it's not always easy to narrow it down. So that might be a factor. I remember whenever Simmons was interviewed on the podcast, he expressed regret at not including technique name translations in GT.
True, it would be nigh impossible to figure these things out by ear I'd imagine, especially in a different language than your original one - heck, there are times I can't pick out precisely what's been said in some shows in English. I kind of assumed FUNimation would have been supplied with some paper scripts for what was being said as well, but then again...that's a pretty big assumption on my part, and even then, there's no telling how good said scripts would have been coming from Toei and all.
Twitter

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:51 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:I remember being really weirded out by the absence of the Kyou-Ken sequence when I first got the two-disc Tournament Saga. Even in the finished episode it looks like there's a cut there (Goku starts to slowly turn his head to face Jackie and suddenly the footage jumps to him facing Jackie full-on), as if they had gone to the trouble of animating the segment before deciding it didn't belong (actually, my reaction when I first saw this was to blame FUNimation, as was my wont at the time, thinking they had for some reason done some trimming on what was supposed to be an uncut DVD). But then, the Saru-Ken sequence in the anime contains footage that the manga has happen during the Kyou-Ken, such as Goku kicking Jackie into the wall. Maybe they rearranged some stuff where possible?
The scene might have been animated, but Fuji TV might have refused to air it. That or the episode was running long and the like.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf