Kid Trunks' first English dub appearance

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kid Trunks' first English dub appearance

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:07 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I didn't think Ocean voice cast dubbed all the way up to around that point? I knew they did parts here and there? not really too knowledgeable on that. :?
They did a TV only dub for the Android sagas all the way till the end of Z.

This was the only clip I could find of Ocean's kid Trunks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i12StYRy-9c

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 pm

I like Bailey's voice not only because it fits Trunks' personality so well, but it actually works PERFECTLY as a believable younger version of Vale's Trunks voice. That rarely happens when people are given different actors as kids and adults.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
ABED wrote:I think he sounds awful in all of his appearances, but especially at the beginning.
Might I ask why exactly? Granted, I will admit it's not a natural young boy voice at all...but neither is Kusao's for what it's worth.
It's just terrible, it sounds forced, overly scratchy and irritating, and the performance suffers as a result. Laura Bailey is a good actress but not in this role. Kusao is more exaggerated than a real kid sounds but it's cute (Funi's kid Trunks isn't) and he gives a good performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:58 pm

I dunno...to me, I find Kusao's to be just as grating and unrealistic as Bailey's can be, with the exception that part of Bailey's problem is the same issue most women playing young boys have, therefore I find it less problematic in the long run. Kusao's is grating in a different way though - rather than being scratchy and gruff, it's overly nasally and high pitched.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm not the biggest supporter of Laura Bailey as Kid Trunks, but I don't hate it. Honestly, apart from Nozawa(who is great) and a few other exceptions, I'm generally not overly fond of the idea of having women voicing young boys, I personally would prefer getting actual children for roles like that. It's just more authentic that way. Of course, I know it's tough to get children for these kinds of roles so I can't really complain.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Oftentimes a first appearance has folks still trying to find voices and the character. Go back and watch the first episode of Pokemon for example. Ash sounds funny compared to how Ms. Taylor got him later.

And while I haven't played the clip, from what I heard Kaiba, yes, Shippo was Goten for those episodes in Canada.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Honestly Ocean Goten and Kara Edwards Goten sounds similar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 pm

I don't really like the voice, but at this point Laura Bailey's more than skilled enough to give suitable line readings. It's basically how I feel about Vegeta and Kaiou in English.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I'm not the biggest supporter of Laura Bailey as Kid Trunks, but I don't hate it. Honestly, apart from Nozawa(who is great) and a few other exceptions, I'm generally not overly fond of the idea of having women voicing young boys, I personally would prefer getting actual children for roles like that. It's just more authentic that way. Of course, I know it's tough to get children for these kinds of roles so I can't really complain.
Good luck with that on a long running series. If you actually got a kid, it wouldn't take him long for his voice to change. On ReBoot they had like four different actors to play young Enzo in three years.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 pm

On top of that, it usually works better getting an adult with more acting experience. Getting kids to do it doesn't always work well.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:51 am

In terms of having real kids provide more authenticity, I can barely even tell the difference between Aaron Dismuke's (an actual child) and Maxey Whitehead's (a woman) takes on Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 am

samuraix123 @ The Speedy Dub apparently did dub the series according to one user here but he didn't record, though it doesn't matter for this because we've got the Goten/Trunks' voices in the films' dubs. Big Green Dub also had Goten/Trunks' voices through one of the films.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 am

I'll have to remember to tell my friend they had/have an 'unrealistic' voice next time I see him, cause he totally sounded like funi's kid trunks when we were in primary school XD

But yeah, trunks certainly sounds different in that first episode. It seems as though his personality was different at that point to. When he hangs out with goten he's much less 'child-like' than when gohan came around that first time.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 am

some_weirdGuy wrote:I'll have to remember to tell my friend they had/have an 'unrealistic' voice next time I see him, cause he totally sounded like funi's kid trunks when we were in primary school XD

But yeah, trunks certainly sounds different in that first episode. It seems as though his personality was different at that point to. When he hangs out with goten he's much less 'child-like' than when gohan came around that first time.
Kids don't sound like that. It's clearly a woman making her voice raspy and trying to sound like a child.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:
some_weirdGuy wrote:I'll have to remember to tell my friend they had/have an 'unrealistic' voice next time I see him, cause he totally sounded like funi's kid trunks when we were in primary school XD

Kids don't sound like that. It's clearly a woman making her voice raspy and trying to sound like a child.
With a raspy or a deep voice it's unrealistic for kids to have it? Really?

My nephew's 7-8 years old has a raspy voice and the older one (10-ish) already with a deep vocal, then there's plenty of others with the same attributes or high pitched voices until they hit puberty.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:50 pm

I know kids can have raspy voices, but young boys don't sound like Kid Trunks, Nadolny, or even Colleen. I never once mistook the actors for being young boys. It always sounded like women. They got close enough that I can suspend disbelief, but it still doesn't sound like a child. I wrote nothing about the pitch of the voice.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 am

So Abed, would you have preferred if they had little Aaron Dismuke do all the boys, or some random boy do them?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:26 am

Super Sonic wrote:So Abed, would you have preferred if they had little Aaron Dismuke do all the boys, or some random boy do them?
I didn't say that at all, I never even implied that my problem is that Kid Trunks doesn't sound like a child. My big issue is that it's a terrible voice and performance, I was simple replying to a post that said Kid Trunks does sound like little boys in real life.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I honestly don't know what the speedy dub is? and I thought that the big green dub only did the movies? lol
The Malaysian English dub. We're unsure who produced it, only knowing the company who published the VCDs (Speedy). They also released FUNi dubbed stuff, so I doubt they actually made the "Speedy dub".
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Speedy dub is the Malaysian English dub. Called speedy cuz well it sounds speedy :lol:
Lol. Not quite. ;p
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."