Did DBZ Overuse The "Idiot Ball" Trope?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Re: Did DBZ Overuse The "Idiot Ball" Trope?

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:It's bad writing for Vegeta not to cut Gohan in half?
If there's no reason given as to why he couldn't, then yes, it's bad writing.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Or maybe he was just so singlemindedly focused on getting rid of Gohan's tail that he didn't think of cutting him in half. Either way, Gohan would've been out of his ape form and rendered easy pickings anyway. What he didn't count on was Gohan falling on top of him while still an ape.

Just because he didn't think of every possible option in the spur of the moment doesn't mean it's bad writing. Believe it or not, the characters are PEOPLE, not robots. They're not going to make what us onlookers completely removed from the situation would consider the "right decision." If every character did everything as they "should," that'd be an awfully boring story. And no, we don't need every little thing spelled out like we're seven years old, either.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:48 am

RocktheDragon wrote:3) Vegeta going to sleep never seemed like a dumb move to me. In his eyes the earthlings were never going to double cross him, and the guy had gone through a lot (fights, crazy situations).
He hadn't slept for days. It makes complete sense. When you have no sleep it can really take a toll and you need to be in top shape for tough combat.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Or maybe he was just so singlemindedly focused on getting rid of Gohan's tail that he didn't think of cutting him in half. Either way, Gohan would've been out of his ape form and rendered easy pickings anyway. What he didn't count on was Gohan falling on top of him while still an ape.

Just because he didn't think of every possible option in the spur of the moment doesn't mean it's bad writing. Believe it or not, the characters are PEOPLE, not robots. They're not going to make what us onlookers completely removed from the situation would consider the "right decision." If every character did everything as they "should," that'd be an awfully boring story. And no, we don't need every little thing spelled out like we're seven years old, either.
Exactly.

Plus, you know, it's a fucking kids manga/anime. Dragon Ball is not going to have a main character, who is a child by the way, get cut in half.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:42 am

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:It's bad writing for Vegeta not to cut Gohan in half?
If there's no reason given as to why he couldn't, then yes, it's bad writing.
No, it's not bad writing.
Keeping main characters away from death is good writing. Especially since Dragonball Z was more focused on Gohan as well at that point, and Piccolo was dead at that point (so no resurrection).
Cutting Gohan in half would kill him, and then we would complain about how Gohan was brought into the spotlight just to be killed moments later.
In every aspect, cutting Gohan in half would be the stupid idea. No matter what people think Vegeta "should have done".

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:If there's no reason given as to why he couldn't, then yes, it's bad writing.
Reasons given that you had already conveniently ignored:
he didn't have time to think clearly, and wasn't exactly in a completely sound state of mind after all the battle damage he had taken.
At that time, Vegeta was weakened and probably didn't have the power to blast it, pulling it was probably the easiest way for him to take the tail off. Even in the manga he struggles to pull it off, because of his weakened state.
Vegeta was acting at the heat of the moment. Imagine if you was gonna get crushed by a giant, hairy gorilla falling over you and have just a few seconds to react.
Once again. You're looking from the wrong POV. For one Vegeta was too weak to even kill Yajoribe with a Super Wave. There's also the heat of the moment. Vegeta was going crazy because these Earthlings was giving him trouble. Nevermind the fact Vegeta usual is cocky meaning he most likely easily dominated most of his foes. It's called be realistic. Even in real life stuff like this happen.
And it's not bad writing for characters to make illogical decisions. People, and fictional characters as an extension, are FLAWED. They don't make perfect decisions 100% of the time. If they did, THAT would be an example of bad writing.

I suppose you must think Hamlet is poorly written because the main character makes the mistake of not immediately killing Claudius.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:55 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Or maybe he was just so singlemindedly focused on getting rid of Gohan's tail that he didn't think of cutting him in half.
I find that incredibly hard to believe. The option is just so obvious that there's no way Vegeta could've completely overlooked it, especially when he had the disc in his hand and was directly facing the ape.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Or maybe he was just so singlemindedly focused on getting rid of Gohan's tail that he didn't think of cutting him in half.
I find that incredibly hard to believe. The option is just so obvious that there's no way Vegeta could've completely overlooked it, especially when he had the disc in his hand and was directly facing the ape.
Do you ignore every thing that everyone saying? Honestly seems like you're doing selective hearing(While in this case reading).
ParkerAL wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:If there's no reason given as to why he couldn't, then yes, it's bad writing.
Reasons given that you had already conveniently ignored:
he didn't have time to think clearly, and wasn't exactly in a completely sound state of mind after all the battle damage he had taken.
At that time, Vegeta was weakened and probably didn't have the power to blast it, pulling it was probably the easiest way for him to take the tail off. Even in the manga he struggles to pull it off, because of his weakened state.
Vegeta was acting at the heat of the moment. Imagine if you was gonna get crushed by a giant, hairy gorilla falling over you and have just a few seconds to react.
Once again. You're looking from the wrong POV. For one Vegeta was too weak to even kill Yajoribe with a Super Wave. There's also the heat of the moment. Vegeta was going crazy because these Earthlings was giving him trouble. Nevermind the fact Vegeta usual is cocky meaning he most likely easily dominated most of his foes. It's called be realistic. Even in real life stuff like this happen.
And it's not bad writing for characters to make illogical decisions. People, and fictional characters as an extension, are FLAWED. They don't make perfect decisions 100% of the time. If they did, THAT would be an example of bad writing.

I suppose you must think Hamlet is poorly written because the main character makes the mistake of not immediately killing Claudius.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
1) As soon as Vegeta sports Gohan's tail, he immediately tries to rip it off. He is of course interrupted by Yajirobe, and by the time he gets back to Gohan, it's too late.
2) Gohan then proceeds to immediately target Vegeta, who thus far has taken the shitkicking of a lifetime and has narrowly escaped death several times.
3) Image
4) The situations combined with the above panel leaves me to believe that survival and escape were on Vegeta's mind first and foremost, not killing Gohan. He wanted to save his own ass first and let the rest of the pieces fall after Gohan's reduced to his regular form. We literally see that his first thought is "Oh shit, I'm gonna get crushed!"

I've noticed that you're just picking and choosing what you want to respond to and completely avoiding a significant amount of other points against your argument, which leads me to believe that you mostly made this thread for shits & giggles and to make another attempt at agitating a forum of Dragon Ball fans. One might call it trolling, in fact :wink: . You can try to obfuscate your attentions as much as you want but eventually everyone, including the mods, are going to get sick of it as long as you make no attempts to actually be productive.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't ignore other reasons, but I'd rather not have to focus on 5 different arguments at the same time. It's just too much of a hassle.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Does Vegeta look like he has enough energy to cut Gohan in half?

I should also add, in case anyone else hasn't, that many things that are obvious in retrospect aren't obvious in the heat of the moment.
especially when he had the disc in his hand and was directly facing the ape.
The disc wasn't big enough to cut a Great Ape in half.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:I don't ignore other reasons, but I'd rather not have to focus on 5 different arguments at the same time. It's just too much of a hassle.
Or you could uh realize it's all one argument and instead of posting excuses have a bit more substance? Like ParkerAL and dude with the Boondocks avatar outlined stuff from the magna for you and even showed Vegeta's mindstate, which should be obvious if you read the manga. This just seems like you're being lazy or obtuse dude, and I hoe that's not the case.

I think claiming anything from TVTropes is a bit much anyways (problems with how many things they label tropes but that's here nor there) and it comes off like a bad game of Jena when one uses a term from that site to start a discussion.

There is character induced stupidity but those are character flaws that can be played, for example Vegeta in the Cell Saga or Goku during the Cell Games having a conversation with Piccolo.

But what do I know, I'm just a frog!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:07 pm

ABED wrote:
especially when he had the disc in his hand and was directly facing the ape.
The disc wasn't big enough to cut a Great Ape in half.
Took the words out of my mouth (well, keyboard). By the time Vegeta actually had the disc ready to throw Gohan was already far wider than it. It probably wouldn't have inflicted lethal damage even if it had hit him right in the kisser. Of the two options, going for the tail was the smart one. It didn't work out so well, but it had better odds than just throwing it at his body and hoping for the best.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:40 am

Kid Buu wrote:Vegeta should have just cut Oozaru Gohan in half instead of his tail.

That's assuming that he could.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:10 am

DB absolutely does overuse the "Idiot Ball". However, "Idiot Ball" is when a character suddenly and obviously changes to do something stupid to force the plot forward.

Vegeta falling asleep after spending the last week awake is not Idiot Ball.
Goku wanting to fight the Androids instead of preventing them from popping up is not Idiot Ball because Goku has always been simple.
Krillin crushing the detonator is Idiot Ball. And then he has the gall to call Vegeta stupid for not finishing it when he could.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:14 am

Also, Gohan not catching an earring despite catching bullets.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:23 am

Kuririn more than anyone else, even Yamucha wasn't that stupid as they made Kuririn to be.

Kuririn in the films is usually just there to be shown without any good reason, I think it was on the third film which he went with Gohan and Piccolo but what did he do? Nothing, instead he got slapped or something.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 am

Krillin crushing the detonator is Idiot Ball.
It was a dumb move on his part, but it wasn't sudden, things were leading up to that moment for him, and it was established that he had a crush on her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:45 am

thatdbzguy wrote: If I had Vegeta's powers, I'd cut him in half, not just go for the tail.
Ok now I'm not sure whether you're talking about when Gohan is about to transform or when he's the ape but I'm gonna tackle both bits.

When Gohan is transforming Vegeta goes to take care of him only to be interrupted by Yajirobe.
After taking care of Yajirobe Vegeta goes to kill Gohan but it's too late as he's already started transforming.
Vegeta continues to attempt to kill him to no avail, so he remembers about the tail and attempts to pull it off, only to get bitch smacked by Oozaru Gohan.
Now at this point Vegeta goes to cut off Gohan's tail, he uses a disc like attack which looks like the Kienzan but I doubt it has the same ability to cut through anything and since Gohan's stronger than him at this point it wouldn't make much sense to gamble what is likely his last bit of energy on cutting him in half when he can just as easily cut off his tail and make him unconscious.... what he didn't count for was Gohan crushing him :lol:
So yeah, what Vegeta did was the smartest thing he could have done in that situation.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Also, Gohan not catching an earring despite catching bullets.
To be fair, Gohan wasn't exactly in tip top shape when trying to catch the earring, psychically or psychologically. Plus, he's frequently shown to choke when the pressure is directly put on him by his comrades.