Watching DB series Japanese (1st time) COMPLETE

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Watching DB series Japanese (1st time) COMPLETE

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:59 pm

I've seen bits and pieces of DBZ in Japanese, all of Kai (to date), and some movies as well, but I have yet to watch all 291 in Japanese from start to finish. I want to experience it the way a lot of you have back in the day before Toonami (unless you used fansubs, I'm sure mine are more accurate lol). Throughout my time on Kanzenshuu (it was Daizex when I joined) I've been getting more and more comfortable with the japanese version of the series, so I think it's time to do it.

While I work on my 3D programs this week, I'll be watching DBZ DragonBox version in between. Wish me luck, it's a journey.

UPDATE: DBZ is done. If you want my thoughts on what I;m watching currently it'll be in much later posts.

UPDATE: Dragon Ball is now complete, on to the last of the series!
Last edited by DarkPrince_92 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:07 am, edited 28 times in total.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Watching all of DBZ Japanese Subbed (1st time)

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Good luck to you, man! I'm sure you'll enjoy the journey.

Have you ever considered starting with the original DragonBall? The vocal cast and music fit together more seamlessly if you're familiar with the original series. Plus all 153 episodes are free on Hulu in Japanese and subbed.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks man. I considered it but I haven't seen Dragon Ball in such a while, I'd really have to be invested and pay attention to it. Same with GT. DBZ I've seen over and over again, so it's easier to have on. One of these days I'll have to get to the other two, but I would need much more free time.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:43 pm

No offense, but I seriously can't believe there are people who actually skip the first series. It's like skipping A New Hope and going on to The Empire Strikes Back. Dragon Ball Z Episode 1 might as well be Dragon Ball Episode 154. The only thing separating the two is a name. As far as I'm concerned, it's one long series. I mean, we don't have people skipping to Episode 517 of One Piece, now, do we?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I get that. I can only do that for Dragon Ball though, I couldn't start in the middle for any other series. It's usually because I'm brand new to it. Like I couldn't start Naruto from Shippuden if I haven't watched any Naruto. It's hard to explain.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:No offense, but I seriously can't believe there are people who actually skip the first series. It's like skipping A New Hope and going on to The Empire Strikes Back. Dragon Ball Z Episode 1 might as well be Dragon Ball Episode 154. The only thing separating the two is a name. As far as I'm concerned, it's one long series. I mean, we don't have people skipping to Episode 517 of One Piece, now, do we?
I started with DBZ, not so much because I chose to but more I didn't know Dragon Ball existed :lol: I always thought it started with Z until I got to around the end of saiyan arc, I ended up watching Dragon Ball inbetween end of cell arc and begging of boo arc.

But yeah I'd recommend anyone to watch DB before DBZ
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Well, the good thing about having all three series available so easily now is that you can catch up on original DragonBall whenever you choose. :) So, no pressure.

Feel free to let us know what you think about DBZ in it's original form. I'm always interested in hearing fans' opinions on the Japanese voices, music, dialogue, etc, if they actually give the material a chance and don't just dismiss it because the "dub is all they know."

Newer fans have it so good, because FUNi's subtitles are great, unlike the piecemeal or straight-up BS translations those of us from the VHS fansub days subjected ourselves to.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

FinalFlash17

Post by FinalFlash17 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Get ready to really enjoy DBZ and appreciate how talented the Japanese cast really is.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm going to do something like this when I get around to seeing the original as well. I'll be going from the start, though.

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 am

Valerius Dover wrote:It's like skipping A New Hope and going on to The Empire Strikes Back.
Not really, it's more like skipping the Prequel Trilogy, and start with the Original Trilogy.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 am

Star Wars Episode I - III were intentionally a prequel, DB Volume 1-16 was not.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 am

Kid Buu wrote:Star Wars Episode I - III were intentionally a prequel, DB Volume 1-16 was not.
I'm aware, but they are meant to be watched first. But if you watch DBZ first, you will know what's going on, you won't be lost in the middle of the story. Only a few things from DB are important to the story of DBZ, and these few things are explained in filler flashbacks (or in the first recap, if you are watching Kai). So, the DB anime can be viewed as a prequel to DBZ/Kai.

BTW, I'm not talking about the manga, I'm talking about the anime.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Star Wars Episode I - III were intentionally a prequel, DB Volume 1-16 was not.
I'm aware, but they are meant to be watched first. But if you watch DBZ first, you will know what's going on, you won't be lost in the middle of the story. Only a few things from DB are important to the story of DBZ, and these few things are explained in filler flashbacks (or in the first recap, if you are watching Kai). So, the DB anime can be viewed as a prequel to DBZ/Kai.

Agreed.

Of course, it's better to start with Dragon Ball but it's not essential whatsoever and I really hate this constant whine that happens any time someone decides to watch Z.

Z is presented as an independent series. It's not like the manga where it's a straight continuation where it expects you to have read everything up to that point. Z is filled with flashbacks and explanations whenever something from Dragon Ball is referenced (a rarity after the Saiyan arc).

-

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION AND SANITY:

To clarify this point since it seems to be causing a headache inducing load of confusion. I don't mean to say that DB and Z are separate. They're not. It's clearly one long story and the Z is no different to putting a 'Part 2' in there. What I mean is that the way it's presented is very much catering to an audience who may not be aware of the events of Dragon Ball. It has numerous flashbacks and expository dialogue for near enough every reference to what came before. Coming out of a major time skip, it also makes a point through non-manga dialogue and filler to re-establish many characters.

I am not under any circumstances advocating a newcomer to begin at Z. That is fucking absurd. My point has been simply that, much like OP, if you have an awareness of Dragon Ball's plot from a past experience, what exactly is wrong with wanting to revisit it from the Z break? Nothing. Nothing whatsoever because it caters for it.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am

No, the prequels aren't meant to be watched first. If you want to watch all 6 they work best when you watch them in either the order they were released or 4-5-1-2-3-6. A lot of moments in the prequels only work when you know they are call backs or foreshadowing.

That's because it's not a complicated story. DBZ isn't another story so you have to stop drawing that distinction, it's artificial. It's about the journey, not the destination. Hell, you could watch DBZ halfway through and they would catch you up on what's happened. DB isn't a prequel and shouldn't be viewed as such.

There are many shows where you could watch at any point in the series and not get lost, but things don't mean as much because there's not the history the audience has with the characters.
Z is an independent series.
Again, not true, and it's not whining. It's a shame that DB is painfully overlooked.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am

Z isn't independent from DB, and DB isn't the prequel to Z. They're meant to be seen (or at least having read the manga) in order.
The USA airing Z before DB (I'm not counting the Harmony Gold or Ocean's short-lived runs) hasn't been benefitial for the franchise worldwide.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 am

ABED wrote:
Z is an independent series.
Again, not true, and it's not whining. It's a shame that DB is painfully overlooked.
Regarding the anime, how is that not true?

They're literally two separate series with different names. I'm not arguing against the fact it's one continuous plotline in the manga nor am I saying it's a good thing to skip Dragon Ball. However, they are treated as two separate anime series. Z caters to that as does Kai in its presentation.

It's no different to something like Stardust Crusaders vs. Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Yeah, you've got reoccurring characters and references but it's filled to the brim with flashbacks and explanations. Yeah, it's better to watch part 1 and 2 but 3 still stands alone absolutely fine.

It absolutely does sound like whining though. OP clearly mentions he's seen Dragon Ball just not in a while and so would like to watch that with 100% concentration another time. Rather than accepting that, there has to be someone chiming in with a "No offense, but I seriously can't believe there are people who actually skip the first series".

It's the same bullshit that went on back when I made that thread about my partner watching Dragon Ball Z in Japanese for the first time too. She had the general gist of the first anime, she'd just not seen it in a while and preferred to watch Z and come back to Dragon Ball another time.

It's incessant self-important whining because someone feels like doing something different to what you feel your ideal way is. It's tiring and irritating. I'd understand if it were someone entirely new to the franchise looking for a place to start. Of course, I'd totally be on board with you if that were the case. It's not though. It's someone wanting to experience the show in another language.

- Edited to highlight the major parts that keep getting overlooked for some reason.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:13 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Of course, it's better to start with Dragon Ball but it's not essential whatsoever and I really hate this constant whine that happens any time someone decides to watch Z.

Z is an independent series. It's not like the manga where it's a straight continuation where it expects you to have read everything up to that point. Z is filled with flashbacks and explanations whenever something from Dragon Ball is referenced (a rarity after the Saiyan arc).
Exactly this. It's better to start with DB, but it's not a bad idea to start with DBZ or Kai.
ABED wrote:No, the prequels aren't meant to be watched first. If you want to watch all 6 they work best when you watch them in either the order they were released or 4-5-1-2-3-6. A lot of moments in the prequels only work when you know they are call backs or foreshadowing.
If you watch them in that order, it spoils Anakin turning to Vader, which is one of the most shocking plot-twists I've ever seen, if not the most shocking. Especially if you watch The Clone Wars between II and III.

Plus, George Lucas said that they are meant to be seen in order, and even if he had never said that, there is a reason he has labeled them with episode numbers. I mean, you don't watch Episode 291 of DBZ first, and then go to Episode 1 of DBZ.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:23 pm

I would never argue that someone watch the Bardock TV special (or, somewhat conversely, read Episode of Bardock) *before* watching or reading the rest of the series. The fact that Kai started out that way was baffling.

I'd be super curious to see how Naruto fans -- specifically today's younger ones -- start referring to the TV adaptation in another twenty years. Near as I can tell, Shippuden is just viewed as the same series it always was... because it is. Does anyone these days advocate for skipping the entire (????) chapters/episodes and just starting with the Shippuden material? Will they one day?

It was and is the same thing with Dragon Ball Z.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote: It absolutely does sound like whining though. OP clearly mentions he's seen Dragon Ball just not in a while and so would like to watch that with 100% concentration another time. Rather than accepting that, there has to be someone chiming in with a "No offense, but I seriously can't believe there are people who actually skip the first series".
Ok, sorry if that came out wrong. I really didn't mean for this to turn into a whole different discussion or anything. I was just expressing an opinion on this. I should probably have worded that differently, though. Again, my apologies. Anyway, hope you enjoy the experience, anyway. That is something I have yet to do. :thumbup:

"This sucks. Make more."

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I would never argue that someone watch the Bardock TV special (or, somewhat conversely, read Episode of Bardock) *before* watching or reading the rest of the series. The fact that Kai started out that way was baffling.
Yeah, that was definitely a confusing one. I guess they wanted this huge action opening that sorta sets the tone for the series rather than a simple, super happy montage of Goku growing up. Kinda kills that twist!
It was and is the same thing with Dragon Ball Z.
Kinda, I guess. I don't feel like Shippuden changes in the same way Dragon Ball does though. Naruto follows the same main characters throughout and their stories are long running and mostly consistently relevant. With Dragon Ball, many of the main characters in the Dragon Ball anime are put aside or, in the case of characters like Piccolo, are totally characterised in Z; barely resembling a shadow of their former self.

Z also introduces the major defining (and exclusive) themes and characters of the show - Vegeta, Trunks, the notion of the Super Saiyan, power leveling and extreme end of the world situations. It feels like a very different show.

I agree though, advocating the skipping of Dragon Ball to a total newcomer is pretty silly. However, I don't think it's a cardinal sin to let someone be if they have a decent enough idea of what happened in the first anime. Like I said, Z caters to that experience entirely.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadtuber.