Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:23 pm

But not his eyes. His eyes look angry. Almost as if he's proud of what he has done.

He looks almost miserable here. This one of the cases in the manga where the art speaks for itself, the anime failed to capture that.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't think it's his eyes, though. Looking at it more closely, it seems like it's the eyebrows. and the mouth but i already said that :P
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:But not his eyes. His eyes look angry. Almost as if he's proud of what he has done.
He looks almost miserable here. This one of the cases in the manga where the art speaks for itself, the anime failed to capture that.
That's strange. I don't believe I've read that part in the manga, so I was unaware of that expression. It also looks like he's looking over his shoulder in the manga panel, but he's looking straight down his chest in the anime shot. Stylistically though, the Last House drawing managed to capture the manga's style perfectly in that shot, despite the changes.

It's also weird to me that he's upset that he "killed" Freeza, considering he just tried killing Goku after he reluctantly spared him, despite the fact that he killed Kulilin.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Goku gave Freeza two chances to live and turn good. Freeza wasted them both, so my interpretation is that Goku is sad that he had to resort to killing him and that Freeza couldn't make the best out of the opportunities he was given.

I assume Goku wasn't too mad at Freeza anymore, after the Namekians were revived.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 am

He looks contemplative in that shot from the anime. Like, he is having a depressing internal conversation with himself. However, the manga shot is better. They are nearly identical except for the eyes.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 am

I haven't seen Resurrection 'F' yet but I love this shot that was shown in the second English dub trailer
There's a lot of awesome stand offs before a fight in this series and this is definitely my second favourite (first is the first fight between Goku and Vegeta. That standoff is way too iconic).

I just love how there's lightning striking in the background as these two characters have a stare down before the fight. Also, Golden Freeza standing on top of a floating rock is way too badass. This is my desktop wallpaper right now.

I cannot wait to see this in cinemas. It's less than three weeks away.

supercat

Post by supercat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I haven't seen Resurrection 'F' yet but I love this shot that was shown in the second English dub trailer
There's a lot of awesome stand offs before a fight in this series and this is definitely my second favourite (first is the first fight between Goku and Vegeta. That standoff is way too iconic).

I just love how there's lightning striking in the background as these two characters have a stare down before the fight. Also, Golden Freeza standing on top of a floating rock is way too badass. This is my desktop wallpaper right now.

I cannot wait to see this in cinemas. It's less than three weeks away.
The background complements the two fighters and their respective colors rather well.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:17 am

Need I say more?
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 am

Doctor. wrote:But not his eyes. His eyes look angry. Almost as if he's proud of what he has done.

Exactly. It really epitomises what accepting his heritage and the Super Saiyan legend meant for Goku. In short, him fully accepting his heritage meant him accepting his limits as warrior and a person, which although he's proud of himself he's also displeased with said limits. His expressing here after defeating Frieza captures how displeased he was perfectly, because he hates the idea of being the invincible Super Saiyan as it goes against what he strives for as a fighter, but he learned to accept it rather than deny it.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:03 am

Here's some Super shots I really like:
There are a lot more I really like, especially in episodes #2, #6, #11 and #14, but these ones are some that stuck out to me the most. The first one is really well shaded considering the modern artstyle; the second one really exemplifies how scary Beerus is to Vegeta; the third one is along the same lines, it shows really well Vegeta's despair; the expression on the fourth one is very well drawn, I don't know, but I really like it; and the last two ones are examples of a great background and camera angle making a good shot.
Last edited by Doctor. on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Ajay I think you have very unrealistic expectations for this thread. Not every member of this site has the technical knowledge or the money to use a program like sony vegas. I see nothing wrong with most of the screenshots posted.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:23 pm

ss4songoku wrote:Ajay I think you have very unrealistic expectations for this thread. Not every member of this site has the technical knowledge or the money to use a program like sony vegas. I see nothing wrong with most of the screenshots posted.
He's not expecting you or anyone to have to use Vegas. Something free and simple as Media Player Classic will get you gorgeous PNG images.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Another with MPC, only the standard 4:3 comes out in its proper pixel ratio. When I do the Orange Bricks, it still saves them in the same pixel ratio as the 4:3, thus stretching it vertically. I know that the Blu-rays are naturally a larger size too.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:45 pm

MPC captures the stored ratio rather than the output, so both 4:3 and 16:9 will be wrong. I generally throw it into Photoshop and adjust the ratios in there. Understandably, not everyone can be bothered to do that/has access to such programs, so just using VLC and ensuring you're saving as a PNG will do just fine.

My little guidelines at the start aren't as draconian as they might seem. A lot of people ignore them, anyway. The post that revived this thread is clearly from a bootleg source. I've stopped caring at this point.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Honestly, you can resize in Paint too. I don't think it messes anything up, though I could be wrong.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:55 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Honestly, you can resize in Paint too. I don't think it messes anything up, though I could be wrong.
I seem to recall that resizing things in Paint used to look awful and cause bad aliasing, but more recent versions of Windows might have better resize algorithms since the last time I tried it.

There are a lot of free image editing options out there, but the only one I can think of at the moment is Gimp. I use it a lot myself, though I'm not sure it's very popular anymore compared to the alternatives.

Well, I do also know of AviSynth + VirtualDub as free software, but that's not exactly the easy method of taking or editing screenshots.
-Rachel

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:07 pm

In your opinion, how is this resizing? It's from Microsoft Paint
I mean from your opinion, how are the colors, etc. with this? I know that the second picture is obviously stretched incorrectly, it's just as an example (basically what I'd have to do when MPC screenshots a 16:9 picture as 4:3).

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
That's strange. I don't believe I've read that part in the manga, so I was unaware of that expression. It also looks like he's looking over his shoulder in the manga panel, but he's looking straight down his chest in the anime shot. Stylistically though, the Last House drawing managed to capture the manga's style perfectly in that shot, despite the changes.

It's also weird to me that he's upset that he "killed" Freeza, considering he just tried killing Goku after he reluctantly spared him, despite the fact that he killed Kulilin.
That's Goku's character development. The Saiyans were a savage race and the Super Saiyan was everything about a Saiyan taken to the extreme. Goku became the legendary warrior through an intense bloodlust and rage, yet after everything that happened, he did not lose himself. He resisted the Super Saiyan's thirst for vengeance, proving once and for all that he has risen above his people. Even after all the atrocities Freeza committed, Goku managed to hang onto his innocence and only killed him when there was no other choice.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:

I think that's the reason why, actually. He's anguished because even after all of the mercy he showed him, Frieza still tried to kill him again anyway, forcing his hand. It's the Fist of the North Star-esque, "What a senseless waste" style Mangst.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Some movie promo screenshots

I tweeted this picture a couple of days ago
ImageVegeta still has the majin mark