Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Basaku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:21 pm

fexus wrote: But SSJ2 is an update on SSJ1. SSJ2 is lazy design. The only time it looks anywhere near cool is when Gohan uses it against Cell.
And Blue SSJ or SSJG ain't lazy designs? It doesn't matter if it sounds 'ungrateful', the fact is Toriyama is totally phoning in those "designs". SSJ4 was lightyears ahead

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:25 pm

rereboy wrote:
jcogginsa wrote: It's basically logic. We see Goku land at Kame house, we assume he flew there not jumped there. We know Goku wasn't sent to Earth to kill everything and we know he behaved badly as a child. There's obviously a reason for that, we just don't get it spelled out to us
You are missing the point. We already had an established reason and motivation for Goku to be sent to Earth. Minus didn't reveal it, it contradicted it and replaced it with a new one by saying that his purpose on Earth was to be saved, not to conquer Earth.

That on itself would not be a real problem if Minus did this a) explaining it properly without inconsistencies; b) if it did this with a good purpose in mind, and c) if it did this to improve the story. I wouldn't have a problem with this retcon if these three things happened.

But it fails in all these three factors, imo.
It does not contradict it, it reveals that previous ASSUMPTIONS about it were incorrect. Same way the Saiyan arc revealed that the assumption that Goku was an earthling was incorrect

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:25 pm

SSJ4 looked downright horrible, just proof that less is more.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Bullza wrote:SSJ4 looked downright horrible, just proof that less is more.
Even if you don't like it, there's a DESIGN in it. Effort and creeativity was poured into it, even if you consider final result not good. SSJG has no design. Changing color in Photoshop is not designing. The backstory is weak as well and Blue SSJ is introduced even worse.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Basaku wrote:
fexus wrote: But SSJ2 is an update on SSJ1. SSJ2 is lazy design. The only time it looks anywhere near cool is when Gohan uses it against Cell.
And Blue SSJ or SSJG ain't lazy designs? It doesn't matter if it sounds 'ungrateful', the fact is Toriyama is totally phoning in those "designs". SSJ4 was lightyears ahead
Do you know what I like about SSJ4? The fact that they got pink fur and suddenly got pants. I love that. Just thinking about how they must have grown the pants using their own hair is just amazing.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Basaku wrote:
Even if you don't like it, there's a DESIGN in it. Effort and creeativity was poured into it, even if you consider final result not good. SSJG has no design. Changing color in Photoshop is not designing. The backstory is weak as well and Blue SSJ is introduced even worse.
Dude, Toriyama's ALWAYS gone for simple designs in power ups. Super Saiyan is a dye job and a new hair cut, SSJ2 is lightning effects, SSJ3 is really long hair. Just because it's not a big change doesn't mean there was no effort put into it

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Basaku wrote:
The first time Goku went SSJG, he turns skinny, have a change of eyes, got a fire aura and get his hair colour to change to red. The only thing with no design is Mystic Gohan, SSJ2 and the upcoming Blue SSJ if it really is just a colour swap.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:38 pm

jcogginsa wrote:Dude, Toriyama's ALWAYS gone for simple designs in power ups. Super Saiyan is a dye job and a new hair cut, SSJ2 is lightning effects, SSJ3 is really long hair. Just because it's not a big change doesn't mean there was no effort put into it
At no point I'm saying every new form needs new purple furr sticking out of the Saiyan's armpit, but there's a big difference between Toriyama's simple upgrades in the original manga and what he's doing now. Sometimes he had better designs, sometimes worse. But most of them had some thought put into it, for the character that was debuting it at the very least (Goku with SSJ1, Gohan with SSJ2, Goku with SSJ3). Now we're at the point even the first character that gets a new power form is sporting the laziest recolor possible.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:39 pm

SSJ4 doesn't make any sense. How do you go through blonde and spiky hair to pinky fur and black hair? Goku is a kid and when he tranforms to SSJ4 he's an adult.

Dragon Ball always had simple transformations, if you don't like SSJ GOD and Blue SSJGOD go watch that series with the pinky fur monkey :lol:
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:41 pm

GeeRod wrote:Dragon Ball always had simple transformations
The transformation in your avater says no. Nice try better luck next time.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Basaku wrote:
SSJ2 is a very simple transformation
Basaku wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:Dude, Toriyama's ALWAYS gone for simple designs in power ups. Super Saiyan is a dye job and a new hair cut, SSJ2 is lightning effects, SSJ3 is really long hair. Just because it's not a big change doesn't mean there was no effort put into it
At no point I'm saying every new form needs new purple furr sticking out of the Saiyan's armpit, but there's a big difference between Toriyama's simple upgrades in the original manga and what he's doing now. Sometimes he had better designs, sometimes worse. But most of them had some thought put into it, for the character that was debuting it at the very least (Goku with SSJ1, Gohan with SSJ2, Goku with SSJ3). Now we're at the point even the first character that gets a new power form is sporting the laziest recolor possible.
SSJG had thought put into it

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Basaku wrote:
So, getting spikier hair and lightning is a change but getting a skinnier body, different iris, fire aura and red hair is a colour swap.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm

kei17 wrote:I watched the movie again and noticed an instrumental version of 'F' playing when Goku starts fighting in the new form.
How was the film the second time?

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Piririn wrote:To be honest, the movie sounds rather... disappointing. There was so much build up about despair and the worst wish in history, etc... but Freeza's arrival is reminiscent of Avo and Cado's. And there's a lot of plot problems... I wish, if they were going to bring back Freeza, there'd been a little more effort into making the plot solid and consistent with the rest of the series.
I originally thought that Freeza's actions would make it the worst wish in history, being what he would do on the extremes of something not ever seen in the series yet to how sociopathic the villains are known to be... but actually, apparently the "worst wish in history" was just the marketing hype on Freeza's name, not on anything he does in this film. It's very disappointing. it also seems as though Freeza returning will be no different than Broly returns, something that happens, has no impact on the viewer anymore and is a plotline left easily forgotten. The sad problem is that they aren't even trying to really expand let alone connect anything to fit into the ending. Rather, Toriyama might just be trying to ditch it. It seems pointless when you look at it. The Villain of the movie shouldnt have been about Freeza if by now he means nothing. Its like Toriyama doesnt have any confidence in any other villain outside him; and isnt even focused on regardless if it fits relevance of the era or the hype anymore.
Piririn wrote:Plus, Freeza blew up Namek when he was losing against Goku during the Freeza saga. So it's not like him blowing up Earth is unexpected.
Its also done in the same exact circumstance as well. Freeza overestimates himself yet again, Goku mocks it, and he pulls out again. Especially after Goku should be fully aware of Freeza being untrustworth of self-control, he had that entire speech with him talking about how Freeza doesnt care and even attacked him after he spared him. You would think Goku would have not wanted to take chances again but instead he keeps complimenting him.
GeeRod wrote:SSJ4 doesn't make any sense. How do you go through blonde and spiky hair to pinky fur and black hair? Goku is a kid and when he tranforms to SSJ4 he's an adult.

Dragon Ball always had simple transformations, if you don't like SSJ GOD and Blue SSJGOD go watch that series with the pinky fur monkey :lol:
SSJG didn't do anything better, in fact it has no depth to it or real lore meaning at all. Its a "righteous heart" friendship boost with a slapped on "timelimit" (which those things didnt make sense in themselves). Not to mention there is no reason how Beerus could assume that the form itself would be as strong as he is, not knowing how strong Goku was, which prior was still infinitely insignificant to his own. It came out of no where and was poorly thought out if at all.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm

GeeRod wrote:SSJ4 doesn't make any sense. How do you go through blonde and spiky hair to pinky fur and black hair? Goku is a kid and when he tranforms to SSJ4 he's an adult.
It actually makes a lot of sense, because saiyans are supposed to be monkeys, not some blonde guys. If anything, SSJ1-SSJ3 don't make any sense, because having your hair becoming blond and becoming longer in SSJ3 has nothing to do with Oozaru transformations and original concept of saiyans.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:50 pm

fexus wrote: So, getting spikier hair and lightning is a change but getting a skinnier body, different iris, fire aura and red hair is a colour swap.
Which one of these will look distinct in black&white manga format? There's no problem recognizing teen Gohan in SSJ1 and SSJ2 forms. Wanna try SSJG Goku?
jcogginsa wrote:SSJG had thought put into it
"How do I replace color in Photohop?". Pinnacle of creative process

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:51 pm

SuperSaiyanQ wrote:
Ahaa looks beastly , yeah I'm checking everyday for a leaked pic , I swear they didn't keep God Goku hidden for this long last year ? :eh:
I am checking Kanzenshuu every day for a leaked pic, still none though :lol: They are quite private with it this time.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
It actually makes a lot of sense, because saiyans are supposed to be monkeys, not some blonde guys. If anything, SSJ1-SSJ3 don't make any sense, because having your hair becoming blond and becoming longer in SSJ3 has nothing to do with Oozaru transformations and original concept of saiyans.
But getting pink fur and pants is. I bet there was a legend about a pink Oozaru wearing pants rampaging on planet Vegeta.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Basaku wrote:
fexus wrote: So, getting spikier hair and lightning is a change but getting a skinnier body, different iris, fire aura and red hair is a colour swap.
Which one of these will look distinct in black&white manga format? There's no problem recognizing teen Gohan in SSJ1 and SSJ2 forms. Wanna try SSJG Goku?
jcogginsa wrote:SSJG had thought put into it
"How do I replace color in Photohop?". Pinnacle of creative process
Fiery Aura and slimmer body distinguishes it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Basaku wrote:
Sorry but what the hell does that have to do with anything? There is no Manga anymore and never will be. Pointless argument.