Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dyno
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Dyno » Wed May 06, 2015 3:19 pm

That means non-portuguese-speakers would be amazed by how Campanile acted back in Dragon Ball Z, at his peak. :lol:
And yeah, glad Bezerra is still the same as we all know. :wink:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 pm

It's like you two are speaking Chinese :lol:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Really? :lol: I always wondered how difficult is brazilian portuguese, I have been always told that it is that hard, but... Ah, I don't know, too used with this language, can't say for the non-natives. :roll:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 06, 2015 3:32 pm

It's not hard; in fact I find it, as a Portuguese speaker, that imitating the Brazilian accent is quite easy, as do most people over here. I was more-so talking about how you guys keep reciting the names of the VAs of the Brazilian dub and me not understanding who's who and who plays what, :lol:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's not hard; in fact I find it, as a Portuguese speaker, that imitating the Brazilian accent is quite easy, as do most people over here. I was more-so talking about how you guys keep reciting the names of the VAs of the Brazilian dub and me not understanding who's who and who plays what, :lol:
Just moments before answering you now I remembered you are from Portugal, I would say that for you isn't that hard indeed, but you already did it. :lol:
Ah, sorry. We should have specified; Wendel Bezerra dubs Kakarot and Carlos Campanile dubs Freeza (Alfredo Rollo dubs Vegeta and Marcelo Pissardini dubs Bills. The latter is well known for knowing how to mimic a cat, that's why he is Karin and Bills). They crafted their names in their respective characters, they fit so perfectly such as English-speakers say Chris Ayres fits better than Linda Young for Freeza. :mrgreen:

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Whoa. So it looks like my account got hacked...I can't really say I understand the motivation of someone to break into my account and just post as me since...apparently January? But it seems that this imposter ruffled quite a few feathers. I can assure you I haven't posted in this topic whatsoever - in fact, I made 4 legitimate posts since 2012 and they were all in the Xenoverse thread. So I'm not entirely sure what went down here, but reading over some of 'my' posts came as quite a surprise to me when I decided to pop on today.

So...yeah. If it were only a few posts I wouldn't have felt the need to say anything, but I don't feel too good about having my reputation (not that I have much of one, I'm here so infrequently) tarnished by this so I thought I'd speak up. Feels weird saying I'd like to 'apologize' for someone else's actions, but I can say that the opinions that have been expressed here over the past few months were not my own. I even saw one post saying something to the effect of 'I'm not a Goten and Trunks fan' which...I think anyone who knows me can attest to being completely wrong XD

At any rate!! In the interest of staying on-topic, I suppose I ought to voice my actual feelings of this movie from what I know about it (having not seen it myself).

I had a feeling this was going to be a lousy movie from the first announcements I'd heard. That Toriyama was inspired by a (fairly old) song raised a red flag immediately...that's not the stuff of great plots. Saying "what if we brought Freeza back" just seems seriously uncreative to me...I've always hated the movie plots that revolved around bringing back old villains 'powered up'. We had Garlic Junior return for filler, and for movies we had Koola, Broli, Broli again, and GT even did the 'let's bring the villains back from Hell' bit even if it was on a much smaller scale. I found Battle of Gods to be refreshing in that the antagonists weren't outright evil VILLAINS - Beerus and Whis proved to be interesting characters in their own right. So to follow that up with 'oh look it's Freeza again' just...really feels lackluster to me. And I felt that way well before his new transformation was announced. He just...turns gold? Really? We can't even take a rehashed character plot and make his inevitable new form at least more interesting? I would have much rather seen a design more akin to Koola's final form, or another weirdly grotesque design like his Alien-inspired 3rd form. But no, he just turns gold, basically. :/

And that's just regarding Freeza. From the minute I saw the poster I was prepared for the worst regarding Gohan, my favorite character. The series proper already shat on him enough, but it feels like now Toriyama is doing everything he can to make him the loseriest loser possible. From what I've heard about the movie, he does NOT get a very respectful treatment. Is this Toriyama's way of saying 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em', finally accepting that Japan only cares about Gokou (and to a lesser extent, Vegeta)? That his old goal of making Gohan the new MC is a thing of the past, so we should just downplay his significance as much as possible and forget that he saved the world on more than one occasion as well? It really makes me sad to see what he's become, not just from an in-character perspective but in general the way his creator is treating him. He's quickly going the way of all the other once-significant characters and taking a backseat to more Gokou and Vegeta action. I remember a time when Gokou and Vegeta weren't the only Dragonball characters, but it feels like that time is long gone, honestly. I mean, Goten and Trunks didn't even get to be featured in the BACKGROUND this time. They may well not even exist in the current mindset that all that Dragonball is boils down to Gokou and Vegeta, the eternal rivals, and their flashy new forms.

Which brings me to 'Super Saiyajin God Super Saiyajin'. Really? I thought the entire point of SSJG (which I already thought was stupid) was that Gokou would never need to transform again. Like an ascended version of Ultimate Gohan, except that Gokou basically absorbed the transformation into his base form. He had the power without needing to expend the energy of transforming. Wasn't that the whole point? But now lol nope, you can transform into yet ANOTHER new form because that's the only way we can sell new action figures and other merchandise...worse that it looks exactly the same as regular SSJ but with blue hair. I never liked the look of SSJ3, and I know SSJ4 isn't canon, but at least they look distinct. SSJ4 was always one of my favorite designs because it was such a star contrast to regular SSJ forms. Like a sort of branch from the golden forms to a more primal version resembling the Oozaru form. I liked that. But SSJGSSJ just feels like another attempt to make characters who can already shatter planets with a sneeze go 'even higher'. SSJ God wasn't enough, so now they can go SSJ while in SSJ. It's like a damn Xzibit meme.

Basically all of my thoughts on this movie boil down to one word - laziness. I get that, in a way, it's pretty cool that Dragonball is making a comeback, and after being away from it for several years Toriyama is taking an interest in it again. But this is a man who has a track record for forgetting his own characters. Being away from the series this long and coming back to try and create new content for it is just...I dunno. I'm really disappointed in the direction these things have been going. BoG was enjoyable enough but at the same time I thought the core idea of SSJ God and the execution of it all felt off. Especially since it was like the movie couldn't decide between DB-style humor and DBZ-style action. Now we've reversed the situation to go more action-focused...and that means more transformations and bringing back an iconic character people can easily associate their childhood memories with. And now we have a new series on the horizon which I also have pretty low expectations for (though obviously it's too soon to tell much of anything about it). Just...I feel like if Dragonball is going to continue, Toriyama needs to stay as a creative consultant or advisor or somesuch. He shouldn't have full control over these things because clearly he's running out of good ideas. And I realize a lot of it is nostalgiagoggles, because Dragonball, for all its worldwide notoriety, is hardly the greatest written masterpiece of our time...but I'd like to think it had more creativity back then than it does now.

What I'd REALLY like to see is more along the lines of Dragonball Online and Xenoverse. Build new content in the Dragon World!! There's so much worldbuilding we can work with!! Focus on THAT instead of how we can somehow make Gokou and Vegeta even stronger!! Instead of filling the gaps between the end of Buu and end of Z (which I feel like we've done enough of already, with a TV special and two movies), the new series and future movies should move POST-Z. A similar situation to Movie #9 as far as how the gang handles things without Gokou. Gokou training Uubu and otherwise leaving the future to the new generation (though he'd obviously have a hard time resisting continuing to fight strong guys, End of Z Gokou definitely had a more 'mentor' quality to him). Instead I just know we're only going to get more ridiculous things like SSJGSSJ...this situation is no better than all the Dragonball AF rumors we've had for years.

I'm not going to crap on people for not sharing my opinion like my impostor seemed to be doing, though. I think it's great that people are still enjoying Dragonball all these years later, and a part of me really DOES want to see us get more before the rest of the cast gets too old or, God forbid, passes on. But this isn't the direction I want to see things go in, either. I don't want Dragonball to boil down to nothing more than Gokou and Vegeta getting new transformations. But because Toriyama is at the helm now, we can't simply write off these sorts of storylines the way we can write off GT, even if it's not honestly any better. And if people LIKE what we get, that's cool!! If they don't, that's cool too!! But people shouldn't automatically hold these new movies/series on a pedestal JUST because it has Toriyama's name slapped on it - we should always look at these things objectively.

These are just my thoughts. Sorry if they're a bit disjointed.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Your account got hacked, Suupaa Gohan 2? That's horrible to hear. :( Glad the real you is back. :)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's not hard; in fact I find it, as a Portuguese speaker, that imitating the Brazilian accent is quite easy, as do most people over here.
Seems like native portuguese people can easily imitate Brazilian accent and talk in spanish. The other way around (brazilian and spanish people) can't do that...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Your account got hacked, Suupaa Gohan 2? That's horrible to hear. :( Glad the real you is back. :)
Wasn't it him/his imposter saying Toriyama should retire and arguing for several pages? xD

All that time, it was a phony in his account? lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Your account got hacked, Suupaa Gohan 2? That's horrible to hear. :( Glad the real you is back. :)
Wasn't it him/his imposter saying Toriyama should retire and arguing for several pages? xD

All that time, it was a phony in his account? lol.
Yeah. When you think of someone 'hacking an account' you tend to think they'll do things like delete your posts or private messages, but apparently they were carrying on as me for several months and I didn't even know. I suddenly go to view my posts and there are TONS of them in this topic that I had never even touched before.

What's funny is that I don't entirely disagree with some of the posts I skimmed (I mean, as I said in my own post here, I feel like Toriyama could stand to have someone else step in with creative control...), but the holier-than-thou asshole attitude was completely out of line. I have a feeling I may know who was responsible, though, and it's being looked into. But yeah no, that wasn't me arguing in this topic for the past ~4 months. Only posts I've made in years was in the Xenoverse thread.

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 pm

You rustled my jimmies hardcore, Suupaa. And I demand retribution.

I actually said something in the Skype chat while that was going down that you seemed 'different', but I just guessed you had changed over the years. Not sure I ever saw that Goten/Trunks post though...cause, like you said, that def would have raised some flags. Glad you got the account back, though!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Are you sure you were hacked, and didn't just happen to log into your account on someone else's computer, forget to log out, and when the owner of that computer checked out the site themselves they were already logged in and decided to just post with that account? That would make more sense. If you ask one of the mods, they can probably see the location those posts were made from.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:05 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Are you sure you were hacked, and didn't just happen to log into your account on someone else's computer, forget to log out, and when the owner of that computer checked out the site themselves they were already logged in and decided to just post with that account? That would make more sense. If you ask one of the mods, they can probably see the location those posts were made from.
I've never logged in from another computer that's not my own. No one uses my computer, which is in my bedroom, except for me. When I am not on it, it is locked (or off), and no one else can log in without my password. The only other people in my house are my mom and my brother, my mom wouldn't know the first thing about my computer (and certainly wouldn't troll as me or...know about Dragonball at all XD) and my brother is rarely even home, not that he would care enough to do this either. So no, it's definitely not more likely XD Besides, we're not talking about a brief little prank, but someone who took the time to post as me for MONTHS. This was definitely a deliberate act. I might be interested in knowing the location of those posts, however.

In any case I didn't want this topic to devolve into a discussion about this, I just wanted to clarify the situation because it definitely seems like they rustled a lot of jimmies as 'me'. If anyone wants to continue to discuss it feel free to shoot me a PM, though. As for the thread, we should get back to discussing the movie!!

--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed May 06, 2015 5:18 pm

I do have to wonder who they will cast to voice Jaco in Brazilian's dub. :think:

Speaking of it, was it already said who will voice Jaco in the english version? Is it the same person who voiced him in Xenoverse?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Nothing is ever certain until the film's dub is finished, because shit does happen. Sabat has said that he casts new characters in games with the people he intends to voice them in the animated material they appear in.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed May 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Admins here can look at the IP addresses logged onto your account.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 07, 2015 2:27 am

Madman Entertainment (the Australian and New Zealand distributors of the Dragon Ball series) just released an English subbed trailer of the previous Japanese DBZ: Resurrection 'F' trailer on their YouTube channel. For some reason the original music at the beginning of the trailer has been replaced with music from Battle of Gods. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAetly8hbU

It will most likely be another Reel Anime event just like the previous film, Battle of Gods. Madman have mentioned that the film will be released in both original Japanese version with English subtitles and the English dub. The film will most likely be released Late Winter this year.

Here's a cool little image from their Facebook page which appeared at the end of the trailer:
Now... back to avoiding the crap outta this thread to dodge spoilers.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu May 07, 2015 5:27 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Madman Entertainment (the Australian and New Zealand distributors of the Dragon Ball series) just released an English subbed trailer of the previous Japanese DBZ: Resurrection 'F' trailer on their YouTube channel. For some reason the original music at the beginning of the trailer has been replaced with music from Battle of Gods. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAetly8hbU

It will most likely be another Reel Anime event just like the previous film, Battle of Gods. Madman have mentioned that the film will be released in both original Japanese version with English subtitles and the English dub. The film will most likely be released Late Winter this year.
Definitely gonna go out and see both versions. Really looking forward to it! Gonna be pretty surreal hearing Nozawa, Nakao and co. in a theatre. :P In terms of the music, I'm pretty sure it's been changed for all international trailers. Must be a rights thing, seeing as they used (what I'm assuming is) a royalty-free track in the original.

And hey, speaking of music :P :
https://twitter.com/si00859m/status/596191984311644162
Really wish these soundtracks didn't cost so much. As slick as the packaging looks, I just can't justify spending $40 (by the time you throw in shipping) on a CD. Is anyone here getting this, though? Think it's meant to come out tomorrow.

Oh, and did any of you guys pick up these?
ImageImage
Kinda starting to regret that I didn't pick up the V-Jump when I had the chance. :|

Dicrypter

Post by Dicrypter » Thu May 07, 2015 8:34 am

I got v jump the ssgss vegeta card is real cool

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 am

Wow, that V-Jump design hurts my eyes.
The CD packaging looks good tough.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88